Hacking Guide: NTFS/WBFS Dual Partition!

FAII

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's taking PM forever to resize the partition. I think it's taken PM 45 minutes to process 13... somethings (it just says "13 of 11217 processed"), stuck at 56% from the time it actually started the resizing process. At a rate lite that, it looks like it'll take days to de-allocate my 60 gBs. Is it glitching or is it actually supposed to be this slow, at least at the start?

Edit: It's going considerably faster now, processing approximately 1 something every two seconds. So just hours? Ouh, now it's 2 somethings per second and it just crossed the 57% mark. It's all quite perplexing.

sonknuck23

Mighty Switch Force >
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Useful, wish I saw this a while back, though. I already have my WBFS drive with ALL my games on it and I was hoping to partition it so it'd also work with WiiMC. (Unless that isn't possible.)

Patrick444

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you sooooooo much for this guide. It worked like a charm. I've been wanting to do this with vista and I've been pulling my hair out trying.

Porobu

Gbatemps Shiny Latias
Trophies
XP
Country
TheWon said:
Thank you for this guide! It was easy to understand, and helped me partion my drive easy.
Dont use WBFS it has bugs and you can lose your data
The best is to use a FAT32 partition in all the HDD

TheWon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really? I been using it for a while never lost anything. I just bought a 1Tbit Harddrive. So could have games, music, movie, and pics for WiiMC. So your so saying now I might eventually lose the games on my harddrive.

Porobu

Gbatemps Shiny Latias
Trophies
XP
Country
TheWon said:
Really? I been using it for a while never lost anything. I just bought a 1Tbit Harddrive. So could have games, music, movie, and pics for WiiMC. So your so saying now I might eventually lose the games on my harddrive.
WBFS with default config can only hold 500 games and sometimes when erasing a game and copying another the game overwrites another game. Also the other compatible filesystems are more tested, compatible and you can hold other things apart from wii games

Emiya Shiro

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Poland
I know that it's pretty old topic and I will be refreshing it but I need to ask.

If i remember correctly i got about something like 500gb usb external HDD for my Wii with WBFS on it for backups. I would like to take some space out of it (but leave the WBFS untouched) and convert it to NTFS or exFAT depending on what will be faster to use with my Windows 7 x64.

Since this guide only writes how to add some WBFS space to already recognized partition by windows, is it possible to do the other way? Since all my HDD is WBFS so when i plug it into windows it says it needs to be formatted.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
No, there is currently no tool to resize a wbfs partition and keep the data.
But if you simply convert the wbfs partition to a fat32 (or ntfs) partition you might not need 2 partitions.
Additionaly there are tools that can resize them while keeping the data.

Emiya Shiro

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Poland
But if you simply convert the wbfs partition to a fat32 (or ntfs) partition you might not need 2 partitions.
But I don't know how to use backups from other filesystem than WBFS, when i got the Wii with harddrive it was already WBFS and I've found WBFS manager, also from my tech knowledge fat32 won't support isos that are 4 gb :/ which means all backups won't fit on that drive since they are beyound 4gb.

PS: Does it support exfat? wii i mean.

shamiko_

~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
But I don't know how to use backups from other filesystem than WBFS, when i got the Wii with harddrive it was already WBFS and I've found WBFS manager, also from my tech knowledge fat32 won't support isos that are 4 gb :/ which means all backups won't fit on that drive since they are beyound 4gb.

If you use a backup manger, It will automatically split the 4gb iso into 2 .wbfs files.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The

nope no exfat, only fat32 (16 too afaik), ntfs and ext2/3/4
you don't use isos you use .wbfs files (created by eg Wii Backup Manager)
they use much less space then .iso files and are split in two automatically if needed
most of the time thats not the case and even if it is you don't notice the difference

if you don't want to do the switch I can see if I can cook something up to resize wbfs
but that might take time and I can't guarante anything

highsteve

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

nope no exfat, only fat32 (16 too afaik), ntfs and ext2/3/4
you don't use isos you use .wbfs files (created by eg Wii Backup Manager)
they use much less space then .iso files and are split in two automatically if needed
most of the time thats not the case and even if it is you don't notice the difference

if you don't want to do the switch I can see if I can cook something up to resize wbfs
but that might take time and I can't guarante anything
Wouldn't your tool be perfect for this case? (wbfs2fat)

All he has to do is convert his WBFS partition to FAT32 with your tool, and if I remember right your tool will put them as .wbfs files split after 4gb.

Loader wise it wouldn't change anything since they recognize FAT32 out of the box (no configuration change needed to enable NTFS).

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Wouldn't your tool be perfect for this case? (wbfs2fat)

All he has to do is convert his WBFS partition to FAT32 with your tool, and if I remember right your tool will put them as .wbfs files split after 4gb.

Loader wise it wouldn't change anything since they recognize FAT32 out of the box (no configuration change needed to enable NTFS).
Yes, that's why converting to fat32 was my first suggestion.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Great, this guide is only adding to the WBFS problem.
And what do you suggest we do instead?

WBFS is going to stay wether we like it or not.
People are still creating new WBFS partitions for whatever reasons.
I don't think we should abandon them just because they chose a imho crappy fs.
It's not like FAT is that much better form a technological pov. It only offers superior useability.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.