Hacking [Guide] Fully Softmod Any Wii (everything you need)

lampjese

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
lotus-gaming.org
XP
Country
Netherlands
yes it was
frown.gif
and i know it works because i followed it once already whit my own wii

Deviyl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First try to change preloader to a different IOS, try to boot wii, then change it back and try again.

If not, go back to the 4.1 upgrading link and follow the steps again. Make sure you have the files for both SM 4.1 and IOS 60 on your SD card for it to use. Then launch Preloader, then HBC and try it again.

PreLoader still boots, so your Wii is far from bricked. Your SM is just corrupt and usually easy to fix.

Bravostar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Hello!

Thank you for excelent guide, I have managed to install Homebrew and play backups via NeoGamma application.

However, being new to wii in general, there are some questions I have and I hope someone will answer.

1. I have Preloader installed, but when I try to launch HBC directly from it, I get this message on the screen: Error autobooting HBC, maybe title not installed?
*other info: what I also see on the screen (beside Preloader options) is IOS v30, Systemmenu v354 and Preloader v0.29
Can anyone tell me why I cannot launch HBC from preloader and what I could do to enable this?

Oh, and while following guide, I was unable to install Bootmi as boot1 so I installed it as IOS (if that is in any way connected).

2. My firmware version is 3.2. Now, I read on internet that you basically don't need firmware updates to run new games, like Sport resort or Tiger Woods 2010 that require Motion plus accesory for the remote. Is this true?

3. I read that some games launch firmware update when you put the disc in - does this happen for backup games launched in NeoGamma as well? If so, does update happen automatically or would I be prompted to install update or just start the game?

4. Since when I power on my wii I get preloader screen, does that mean that hacks.ini file is automatically activated or do I do sth to load it? Also, if I include the code for skip disc update check in hacks.ini file, does that mean I'll be safe from games that try to automatically update firmware from disc?

Thank you in advance for answers.

Deviyl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) PreLoader is looking for HAXX and the new HomeBrewChannel is JODI, so it won't work. I'll update the guide soon to include a patched PreLoader that will load the JODI HBC.

2) You don't need to upgrade, but there's not really much sense in staying on a lower version. I'm not going to get into how to make them work because if you want to stay on an outdated SM, you can figure it out. =)

3) You can turn this off in PreLoader.

4) You get the PreLoader screen because it's set to load first, you can change this to load directly to your SM. It has nothing to do with the hacks.ini file. You need to press the Hacks button to see if there are any hacks there.

lampjese

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
lotus-gaming.org
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ok today i read that on 5 october nintendo blocked the ios60 on there servers if you try to update whit the the link mentioned in this tutorial if it sucseeds it will result in a wii bricked.
I cant gif you a link because i read this on a news post but it sais do not update to fw4.0 or fw4.1 it will result in a wii bricked.
Dont know if its treu but you should check this out because its a part of this tutorial that could brick your wii.
I dont want to crack your work its just feedback correct me if i am wrong.

Capn Gus Bloodbe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey there,

Thanks a heap for the guide.

I just followed this guide but I skipped the IOS36 step; I wanted to see if I could install preloader before engaging in a potentially brickable step (installing the preloader and cIOS seems to have worked).

Now that I've done that, should I go back and do that IOS36 step? If not, do I need to do anything with Trucha Bug Restorer?

Other question is, at this point what's the safest way to upgrade my system menu? I'm currently on 3.3

wiinner

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i bought my 6 yr old son a used wii to softmod and play backup games. is there anyway to childproof it so he does not mess with the settings??

G0dLiKe

who needs a title ;)
Trophies
Website
db.tt
XP
Country
United States
wiinner said:
i bought my 6 yr old son a used wii to softmod and play backup games. is there anyway to childproof it so he does not mess with the settings??

Only way to make it childproof besides the system menu options would be to stick with a USB HD, USB Loader(WiiFlow is one of the best) and let preloader autoboot to the WiiFlow forwarder. In WiiFlow you can set an extra childproof setting so the only stuff let for your kid would be to turn on the Wii and play.

hymner

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi Devyil,

I got BootMii installed as boot2 by updating my HBC. Then I followed your instruction, backed up NAND, and then patched the IOS36. However, once the patching is done successfully, my HBC screen is upside down. How come for this?

My Wii is 3.2U.

Thank you!

compo22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hymner said:
Hi Devyil,

I got BootMii installed as boot2 by updating my HBC. Then I followed your instruction, backed up NAND, and then patched the IOS36. However, once the patching is done successfully, my HBC screen is upside down. How come for this?

My Wii is 3.2U.

Thank you!

The homebrew channel will only install on a clean ios so if that file is modified after the channel is installed it will turn the channel upside down.

What you need to do is uninstall the homebrew channel i did with bannerbomb so that i knew that i could still access the homebrew installer.

Leaving the ios36 patched and then reinstall the channel via bannerbomb and it will install to a different ios probably ios61 which is clean and will fix the problem
smile.gif

yabel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a friend gettin ready to softmod his 4.0 wii?? Will this guide brick his wii?
Seen warnings about wank bricking wiis?
Any guide I can send him to, to have him safely mod his wii?

nipper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey just bought a wii it has v3.4u also LU66 and i was tryin to get the cboot2 and the files you say should be in there are not there. is it me or is that how it is now.

Capn Gus Bloodbe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just got my wii back after bricking it after reinstalling preloader.

Still can't run apps off SD - so forgive me, but precisely which step in this guide is the one that allows that to occur? Since running the guide I have updated to 4.2 via the safe updater found on this forum

Reakt00r

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
When I try to run the HBC from PreLoader, I get the following error:

Error autobooting HBC, maybe titel not installed?

What's the deal?

Deviyl

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yabel said:
I have a friend gettin ready to softmod his 4.0 wii?? Will this guide brick his wii?
Any guide I can send him to, to have him safely mod his wii?Why would this guide brick his Wii? Reports of bricked Wiis from this guide are user error. The guide will work fine if you follow it.

nipper said:
hey just bought a wii it has v3.4u also LU66 and i was tryin to get the cboot2 and the files you say should be in there are not there. is it me or is that how it is now.Maybe you should read the guide again before you brick your Wii. cboot2 is for 4.2 Wiis. You said you have 3.4. See the problem?

Capn Gus Bloodbeard said:
Just got my wii back after bricking it after reinstalling preloader.

Still can't run apps off SD - so forgive me, but precisely which step in this guide is the one that allows that to occur? Since running the guide I have updated to 4.2 via the safe updater found on this forum
HBC? Once you have the HomeBrewChannel installed, put your apps in the apps folder on your SD card and when you run HBC they should pop up in there. Make sure you have inside of your apps folder another folder for each individual app. And make sure you have the dol files named boot.dol.

QUOTE(Reakt00r @ Oct 19 2009, 05:35 PM)
When I try to run the HBC from PreLoader, I get the following error:

Error autobooting HBC, maybe titel not installed?

What's the deal?
Update PreLoader to .30. The new HomeBrewChannel is called JODI and not HAXX like the old one. So the old PreLoader is trying to load HomeBrewChannel by it's old name, which is now called something different, so it doesn't find it.

yabel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Deviyl said:
yabel said:
Any guide I can send him to, to have him safely mod his wii?
Why would this guide brick his Wii? Reports of bricked Wiis from this guide are user error. The guide will work fine if you follow it.

I read people modding with Wankos reporting bricks. I was just wanting to double check before I gave him a guide to follow.
ThX

sebastian9

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

I have an issue, my Wii allows me to install bootmii as boot2. Everything completes successfully, but when I restart my Wii the default Wii menu appears. In order for me to access the bootmii menu I have to uninstall the bootmii as boot2 and install it as an IOS. Then I can access it through HBC. I did it this way just for now in order to back up my NAND successfully. I don't want it this way permanently. What may be the issue?

Also, I'm currently on menu version 3.3u, would it be best for me to upgrade to 4.0 or downgrade to 3.2 and what are the benefits of doing this compared to just staying at 3.3u?

Thanks for the help and for the guide, it is great!
smile.gif

EDIT 1: In regards to my first question, I believe the problem may be that my SD is not supported. I'm going to try another one and report back with results.

EDIT 2: New SD card corrected the bootmii boot2 issue. I've decided to upgrade to 4.1u.

Frogman

This could be you!
Trophies
Website
www.frogmanreviews.com
XP
Country
Things you'll need:
1) SD card with a folder called wad.
2) IOS249.wad created from NUSD. (Use NUSD 1.2 and click TMD, IOS, IOS249).
3) cBoot2 (send a message to [email protected] for this)

Steps:
•Extract cBoot2.rar•Extract try this 1st.rar•Copy the files extracted (bootmii, boot.dol, and startup.elf onto the root of your SD card. (Make sure you backup your old BootMii folder and files before doing this as it will copy over them.
•Copy the IOS249.wad file you created with NUSD inside of the wad folder on your SD card.
•Put SD card into Wii.
•Launch HBC, press Home, Load BootMii.
•cBoot2 will automatically launch and you will see Wad Manager 1.4
•Press A
•Choose Wii SD
•Select IOS249.wad
•Press A
•Left arrow
•Select uninstall WAD
•Press A to complete the uninstall.
•Press Home to return to system menu.
•Carry on with the guide (You can skip the first steps about getting HomeBrew/BootMii)
Note: 4.2 installed a stubbed IOS249, which has absolutely no purpose except to stop cIOS38rev14 from writing to that location. Removing it fixes the issue.

if i do this with my 1.1 wii with hbc what is the possibility of it being bricked??

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6vlP2qSyo