Hacking [Guide] Everything under the Sky3DS

tekwarfare

Trophies
XP
Country
CAP screaming? What are you on about?
He's using an original 3DS throughout his tutorial so it would be an SD.
But yeah, on the new 3DS it would be a micro SD.

J2damuahz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you and great guide. It is very helpful as I was confused about private headers and some of the features of SKY3DS.

fatsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
If anyone else was interested...I emailed Sky3ds and the new blue button has the exact same hardware configuration as the previous one :)

steap

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
  • Save files (".sav" files) share headers with their respective games. A game cannot recognize a save file with a different header.

Wait, then why didn't my save data on MH4U get "corrupted" after I applied my private header? I'm pretty sure I applied it correctly doing these steps:

1. Turn on my 2DS, press the blue button
  2. Put my mSD into my Computer, creating backup .sav of MH4U and also backup .3ds just in case
  3. Pull mSD out safely and put in another mSD into my computer (yep, I really don't want to lose my 120h savegame)
  4. Create a private template file using No Ban No Sky (I compared both templates with each other, making sure the "private-bytes" are applied on my private template correctly, especially on MH4U)
  5. Replace old template with new private template file on DiskWriter
  6. Write MH4U.3ds (that one I downloaded on the internet, not the backup I made earlier) on DiskWriter. I pressed OK after it warned me that MH4U was an EEPROM game and it will apply the header from the template (my private template).
  7. Make a .sav backup of MH4U to check that my private header was actually applied on HxD. Yes! private header on the correct position
  8. Restore MH4U 120h played .sav
  9. Pull mSD card out, put it in Sky3DS cartridge, turn on my 2DS, start MH4U, character still exists, went online, still works
So, I then bought some items in MH4U, saved my game, pressed the blue button, made .sav on DiskWriter, opened it on HxD thinking the game would override the old header to the new one. It didn't, even though it generated me the .sav with the new private header first time (see step 7)

hacksdenied

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Wait, then why didn't my save data on MH4U get "corrupted" after I applied my private header? I'm pretty sure I applied it correctly doing these steps:

2. Put my mSD into my Computer, creating backup .sav of MH4U and also backup .3ds just in case
  3. Pull mSD out safely and put in another mSD into my computer (yep, I really don't want to lose my 120h savegame)
  4. Create a private template file using No Ban No Sky (I compared both templates with each other, making sure the "private-bytes" are applied on my private template correctly, especially on MH4U)
  6. Write MH4U.3ds (that one I downloaded on the internet, not the backup I made earlier) on DiskWriter. I pressed OK after it warned me that MH4U was an EEPROM game and it will apply the header from the template (my private template).
  7. Make a .sav backup of MH4U to check that my private header was actually applied on HxD. Yes! private header on the correct position
  9. Pull mSD card out, put it in Sky3DS cartridge, turn on my 2DS, start MH4U, character still exists, went online, still works
So, I then bought some items in MH4U, saved my game, pressed the blue button, made .sav on DiskWriter, opened it on HxD thinking the game would override the old header to the new one. It didn't, even though it generated me the .sav with the new private header first time (see step 7)

I have been trying to inject my private header in the the .sav too but failed..
I did it the same way as you, pasting my header in the correct position using HxD software
But for me, i cant even start up the game.. it says the save file is corrupted and need to format it

LonePilgrim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Note: Using a public header without ever going online will not result in a ban.

Can somebody explain this in little more detail. I have no interest in playing online, but would like to be online from time to time - surfing, eshop etc. Does this mean i shouldn't go online while playing a game on sky or shouldn't go online at all? I mean is there some information left in the logs that they can read, or something?

steap

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Can somebody explain this in little more detail. I have no interest in playing online, but would like to be online from time to time - surfing, eshop etc. Does this mean i shouldn't go online while playing a game on sky or shouldn't go online at all? I mean is there some information left in the logs that they can read, or something?

As long as you don't go online while playing a game, you're fine

ManBeaPig

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
To be honest why would you not have injected a private header before starting to play your games?

All of my roms that I flash will have my private header on them from the minute I start playing them.

Reactions: Osmosis

super.bean

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Throughout the "Cheating with Spider" section you call the memory card a "MiniSD" and I believe you just mean an ordinary SD memory card.

kartky.jpg

1. SD
  2. Mini SD
  3. Micro SD

Thank you for pointing that out! :D. I made the changes.

If anyone else was interested...I emailed Sky3ds and the new blue button has the exact same hardware configuration as the previous one :)

Good to know :D

This is awesome! You seemed to pull it off, I'll try with my games later and confirm it. For now, I'll just link your answer to the guide. Thanks steap :D

To be honest why would you not have injected a private header before starting to play your games?

All of my roms that I flash will have my private header on them from the minute I start playing them.

Those who have played before the ban wave used public headers. But when the ban wave came, they needed private headers but they don't want to lose their saves from their public header games before it.
"Everything changed when the ban wave attacked" :D

Would anyone be willing to share a private header ? :D

It wouldn't be private if it's shared right? :D

steap

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
This is awesome! You seemed to pull it off, I'll try with my games later and confirm it. For now, I'll just link your answer to the guide. Thanks steap :D

Nope, just found out I didn't. After I cycled through my games nearly twice (I have 7 games, the last one is MH4U, so I had to press the blue button 13 times to apply my private header correctly and get back to MH4U), I was sad and somewhat relieved to see the "save data corrupted" message.

super.bean

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nope, just found out I didn't. After I cycled through my games nearly twice (I have 7 games, the last one is MH4U, so I had to press the blue button 13 times to apply my private header correctly and get back to MH4U), I was sad and somewhat relieved to see the "save data corrupted" message.

Aww :(, I really wanted to get my old saves back. Thanks for confirming it though. :D

Kuifa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Can someone help me with some questions?

1. If I were playing a game with a Sky3DS and then later remove the cartridge. Is my progress going to be saved?
2. Is there any way to go to the first game without having to cycle through all your games?

super.bean

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Can someone help me with some questions?

1. If I were playing a game with a Sky3DS and then later remove the cartridge. Is my progress going to be saved?
2. Is there any way to go to the first game without having to cycle through all your games?

1. Yes, the progress will not be saved if you removed the MicroSD Card from your Sky3DS without pressing the Blue Button first. This is because, when playing, your Save File gets stored in a temporary space called EEPROM, once you press the Blue Button, what ever is in the EEPROM at that time, will be written in your MicroSD Card. But without pressing the Blue Button and removing the MicroSD Card, what ever is in the EEPROM will vanish.

2. Yes, press the Blue Button once first, to save what ever is in the EEPROM to your MicroSD Card, then hold the Blue Button for about 2 - 3 seconds and let go, it should be at the first game, or reboot the 3DS.

will downloading dlc result as ban too ?
is downloading dlc counted as online play too ?

I tried once, ONCE :D. I risked my life for Fantasy Life DLC without a private header on. But I'm not doing it again though, and YES, if you use Sky3DS to go online without using private headers, even if it's just to purchase DLC, they might detect you in some way. But buying DLC on eShop without the Sky3DS on your 3DS should be safe.

Reactions: Kuifa

hydro91

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Question to header check part:

So I extracted my private header and injected it into the template file using No Ban No Sky.
When I check the private header by opening the save files in HxD I am not able to find my own header.
The only save file which contains the private header is from Pokemon X.
But I already tried playing SSB online and it worked (although no private header
found in save file).
Can anyone help me?

Rayganz

Trophies
XP
Country
This has probably be answered a billion times but...

Can I use the same private header across all my roms to go online?

Cheers

ZoneBlaze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This has probably be answered a billion times but...

Can I use the same private header across all my roms to go online?

Cheers
Yes. As long as only one instance of that header is online. Meaning, don't share that header data with anyone else. You can apply that header to all your games and you'll be fine.

WildMountainJew

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, is there a way to "recover" a Sky3DS? Any way to flash internal / onboard firmware? The reason I ask is that after switching from Diskwriter 1.06b5 to 2.02b1 on Friday, my Sky3DS no longer loads games. I can get it to flash the blue light quickly by following the "Hold button down on insert, wait, eject, wait, reinsert" process, but when I go to finish it by "wait, eject, reinsert", nothing happens.

I tried following your "setup" guide and holding down the button for 5 sec (slow count, I'm patient) then rebooting the 3DS, but this did not resolve the issue.

Obligatory data: New Nintendo 3DS XL US, running firmware 9.8.0-25U, with a blue-button Sky3DS from China (DWtechz, which I don't recommend) and a genuine retail-purchased SanDisk Ultra Class10 SDHC I 32GB card. The card was formatted as FAT32 using the SD Formatter v4, then Diskwriter launched, formatted by DW into their format, ROM's loaded without issue, ejected safely, inserted carefully into the Sky3DS, loaded into 3DS console, .... nothing. The issue does not seem to be resolved by changing MicroSD cards (all retail-purchased, a PNY 16GB and a SanDisk Ultra Plus 16GB). The console loads legit 3DS games as well as my R4i Gold DS-game flashcart. I'm ... frustrated, to say the least, since it looks like the Sky3DS should be working, but for whatever reason it's not. I'm at the point of negotiating with a US-based retailer to buy a new one, but if I don't have to do that I'd rather not.

QCLasky

Pro cat lover
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Did your .sav file come from a game that was written using a private header?
The game should be written using your "private template file" (template file which was injected with your private header) so that the resulting .sav file will contain the private header.

(I'll add this somewhere in my guide)

Save files (.sav files) are dependent to their respective game's headers. If your .sav file was backed up from a game that was using a public header,
re-writing that game using a private header will result to the game not recognizing your save file.

Though this is based on what I have currently read, I will look further into editing the headers of .sav files to match their games.

as of now, I recommend you keep that .sav file somewhere safe :)

Thanks for contributing! :D will edit soon :D

Thank you for the guide :D

do you know if I use a save file that do not have my private header I could be banned? i'm using sky3ds and the template has my private header but I dont want to start a new game on Animal Crossing. this save has a public header because I started playing before get my header..

Last edited by QCLasky,
Reactions: TgreatOne

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16