Hacking Guidance needed - backup loader - almost there?

tux182

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi All

Firstly - apologies if my questions have been answered hundreds of times. I've researched this topic and getting some old, some new, some irrelevant answers.
So i wanted to come direct to the pros and ask some questions! So hope i've come to the right place :)

My setup :
  • I have a new black Wii
  • 4.3E (i think)
  • 32GB SD card
  • Setup with Homebrew channel + emulators etc

Questions :
  1. So from what i understand to get a backup loader to work you need Custom firmware?
  2. If so - which is the best/latest to go for?
  3. I presume there is a simple guide to get this going?
  4. I've got Bootmii installed - but to be honest i don't know what it does.... Am i right in thinking you have have multiple OS's on different slots? So if you screw one OS all is not lost? Or have i missed the point?
  5. A black Wii cannot play DVDs - from the physical type of DVD drive, right?
  6. What other step(s), if any would you take to get this console 'finished'? I'm looking to play backups and emulation. Ideally DVDs.
I may come back with some more random questions if thats cool
Thanks in advance guys

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Wow. You really got some heavy mis-info in your head!
Run sysCheck, post back here.
I apologize for the outdated video [its long and obnoxious, but the information is still accurate to date]

With the exception ModMii is now available for download here:
https://code.google.com/p/modmii/downloads/list

Okay: Basically here is a quick-run down of what is correct from what you said.

1. - NO! you just need to have some custom cIOS files installed
2. Follow the video
3. Yes, the simplest is to use ModMii and update via the SU method [sysCheck updater] << the video does this
4. BootMii is a failsafe to backup your NAND, and hopefully (if it doesn't get overwritten) help unbrick your Wii in the event of a brick. [Get Priiloader if you do not have it as well]
5. Correct, any new type has a D3-3+ drive.
6. DVD's is a no-go, sorry :( ; But following that video WILL have you up-to-date with the latest internal setup. From there, any homebrew you are interested should work [except a few special ones, which cover themselves easily] With a 32GB SD, you could put a few GC games or Wii games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: it's a thing there