Gaming Great games with great graphics.

Blythe31

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Already looked at the DOS and Essentials thread.
Saw several that looked interesting, but then again, it's only a list and some input from gamers would be nice.
I've been bored with what I have lately. L4D, CS, and everything seems to have gotten boring.
I feel like finding something with a great 1 player campaign experience with generally good graphics.
Recently picked up bioshock. I love it, but it feels a tad bit too easy. Crysis Warhead is on it's way.
I've looked at farcry, but idk, i've been doing the FPS thing a lot recently and it's kind of getting old.
Mass effect looks interesting and I like how bioware made it since i'm a huge KOTOR fan, but i've heard that it can get boring since the first 3 hours are primarily talk and it gets a bit buggy.
Just wondering what your thoughts are on this? Is it worth the purchase? Money is a tad bit tight, so I have been really iffy with purchasing games lately.
I gave Fallout 3 a shot but it felt a bit too much like TES with guns for me to like it. Spent way too much of my life playing oblivion, I didn't want to get sucked in. haha.

I was wondering if you guys had any suggsetions? I'm always down for a good JRPG or FPS, but lately everything i've tried has gotten a bit bland. I need something awesome to take me out of this gaming slump.
smile.gif

And yes, i've looked at several reviews for mass effect, but I'm not one to trust reviewers. Any input or suggestions would be great.

grog.gif

I'm running on a PNY GeForce 9800 OC 1gb if that helps.

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
I gave Fallout 3 a shot but it felt a bit too much like TES with guns for me to like it. Spent way too much of my life playing oblivion, I didn't want to get sucked in. haha.
But but but, just play it XD. It's awesome.
Mass Effect is definitely worth a shot, I don't know why you listened to those people saying it was boring. It's like KOTOR, but even more epic (though without the Star Wars obviously).
Far Cry 2 gets boring really quickly, the graphics and combat are great, but as an example I trawled through half of the game, at which point you find out there is a whole new map the same size as the one that just took you 20 hours to clear, and just turned it off and stopped playing.
Crysis is good, you haven't mentioned that, and obviously Warhead which you mentioned is decent, but not really as big as Crysis.
GTA IV is worth a shot too, as it's obviously a great game.
Where's Call of Duty? Modern Warfare and World at War are both worth playing.
And you can always go for World of Goo and Braid - only 2D of course, but both fantastic, cheap games.

Other than that, it sounds like you're making excuses for yourself. Why tell yourself a game is going to be boring when it has a bunch of fantastic reviews and a large fan following? Just start playing, and if you enjoy it, play it.

EDIT: http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-Pc/dp/B0...9052&sr=8-2
There, $17, plus we PC users get the DLC Bring Down The Sky for free. Can't say that's not worth it. Plus, you'll want to play it and get the story so you can play Mass Effect 2, which is looking a lot better than Mass Effect (and that should make it positively amazing).

Blythe31

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
haha. Idk about fallout. =/ I bought it and played it for 3 days then returned it, but I bought it on release, so idk about the DLC or patches and such.

I'm just being cautious. With how tight money is getting buying games is now a rarity for me. I've definitely taken Mass Effect into consideration. I also have GTA and CoD4. I got sick of the WW2 themed fps' so i'm awaiting the release of Modern Warfare 2.
biggrin.gif

Watched some gameplay of braid and world of goo. Both look like fun, but they kind of look like they'd be free 3rd party flash games. haha.

I was looking at Warhead articles and it said that they kind of made it run smoother on mid-ranged pc's with atleast a steady fps of around 30 or something. I don't have the fastest CPU so I thought i'd give it a try. I'm definitely interested in owning both though.

I guess i'm just waiting for bioshock 2, mass effect 2, and assassin's creed 2 all to hit the shelves and see what else is announced at e3. I'm waiting for atlas' release of a devil summoner's game on the DS as well, but i'm just looking for something to fill the gap for now.

Edit: yeah, i'm aware mass effect is around 2 years old now and sells for less, I think i saw it on half.com for a little cheaper. I think i'll be picking it up soon. I looked at the same footage of the side quests though and it seems like they used the same templates for each one, just a different facade. Hope it's not gamebreaking since I'm a bit of a completionist when it comes to sandbox games.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Fallout 3 is pretty good. The main storyline is much, much shorter than Oblivion, but there are tons and tons of side quests and a lot of them are unmarked. Almost to the end, finished Operation:Anchorage and just finished The Pitt.

Mass Effect. I think compared to Fallout 3 it's a much lesser game. That's not to say it's bad, but the side missions get ridiculously repetitive. I expected a lot more from Bioware especially since KoTOR was always pretty good with how they dealt with side missions.

Assassin's Creed, $10 bucks right now on Steam. Man. There's a lot of love for this game, and yet a ton of hate. There's so much potential here, but they end up screwing it over right when you begin. Also, while I think the control scheme is pretty damn awesome, the implementation as well as the control of the character seems a bit rough.

If you're looking for a JRPG, I think Square just released a PC game using the Unreal Engine called The Last Remanent. I'm not sure if it's good, but it does look intriguing.

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
If you're looking for a JRPG, I think Square just released a PC game using the Unreal Engine called The Last Remanent. I'm not sure if it's good, but it does look intriguing.
I played the Steam demo and it was sh*t. It hasn't been ported from 360 very well either, the on-screen prompts still show 360 buttons and there's a lot of graphical glitches, not worth checking out IMO.
And with Braid and World of Goo they're a million times better than any flash game aha. I'm no fan of flash games myself, I can't stand the crap they put on Miniclip and those free games sites.
And for Mass Effect, yeah, the side quests get repetitive and I'm usually a completionist but still missed out on them, but that doesn't even matter when the main story is so awesome. The side quests don't even add anything to the story, so it's only worth playing a couple to get a taster. Also, BioWare have said they are definitely still working on another piece of DLC, so maybe it's worth waiting until thenm to play it. Just a suggestion. But yeah, it's still an amazing game, and having played KOTOR I have to say I enjoyed it even more than that.

Blythe31

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for all the recommendations. I bought Mass Effect yesterday. I'm loving the story and definitely going to take my time with this one. The combat system seems a bit clunky in character movement, but it's still fun. A lot better than I expected.
grog.gif
Just patched it and downloaded the DLC too. Should be loads of fun between this, bioshock, and crysis warhead. I think i'm pretty set right now. I just need to get better hardware. =/ I'm experiencing some pretty gnarly framerate drops in bioshock and mass effect every once in a while. It's more prominent in mass effect though, especially heading into battle. I know it's not my graphics card.

I heard Last Remnant and a similar game that came out around the same time called Infinite Undiscovery (is that even a word?) were pretty bad.
I'm hoping for a port of Star Ocean's latest game. It looks totally fun. The horrible cliche's and bad voice acting are slightly irritating, but being a fan of jrpg's, i've come to expect them. haha.

I tried the demo of the DMC4 on the 360. It was alright. Slightly fun, but it seems like it might quickly turn into a brainless hack and slash after a while. I haven't played any previous DMC entries, so I was slightly lost on the story as well.

I think i'll also wait for the newly announce "Old Republic" from Bioware. Isn't it supposed to be a mmo of kotor basically? I was watching the e3 press conferences and it looked amazing.
smile.gif

Raki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Blythe31 said:
I just need to get better hardware. =/ I'm experiencing some pretty gnarly framerate drops in bioshock and mass effect every once in a while. It's more prominent in mass effect though, especially heading into battle. I know it's not my graphics card.

What are your specs?

Blythe31

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Raki said:
Blythe31 said:
I just need to get better hardware. =/ I'm experiencing some pretty gnarly framerate drops in bioshock and mass effect every once in a while. It's more prominent in mass effect though, especially heading into battle. I know it's not my graphics card.

What are your specs?

Not really tech savvy so idk all the stuff I have or even what information I should provide.
But I have a GeForce 9800 1gb, 3.5gb ram, 500w psu, and a Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Blythe31 said:
Raki said:
Blythe31 said:

What are your specs?

Not really tech savvy so idk all the stuff I have or even what information I should provide.
But I have a GeForce 9800 1gb, 3.5gb ram, 500w psu, and a Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Your P4 is the bottleneck, if you're able to you may want to upgrade to a newer CPU.

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Minox_IX said:
Blythe31 said:
Raki said:
Blythe31 said:

What are your specs?

But I have a GeForce 9800 1gb, 3.5gb ram, 500w psu, and a Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Your P4 is the bottleneck, if you're able to you may want to upgrade to a newer CPU.
Yeah Minox_IX is right. Everything but the CPU is good
frown.gif

Blythe31

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could you guys recommend one that is moderately priced? I don't want to spend much, but am willing to dish out a little if it means no slowdowns or drops in framerate. I don't need the top of the line cpu, but something that'll last would be nice. I'm farily clueless in terms of what to look for..

thanks for all the help btw.
grog.gif

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Blythe31 said:
Could you guys recommend one that is moderately priced? I don't want to spend much, but am willing to dish out a little if it means no slowdowns or drops in framerate. I don't need the top of the line cpu, but something that'll last would be nice. I'm farily clueless in terms of what to look for..

thanks for all the help btw.
grog.gif
That depends on what socket your motherboard supports, if it's socket 478 then you're out of luck, but if you have one with socket 775 then you should be able to upgrade to a newer one.

Also, is your computer built by yourself or is it a factory made one?

Blythe31

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Minox_IX said:
That depends on what socket your motherboard supports, if it's socket 478 then you're out of luck, but if you have one with socket 775 then you should be able to upgrade to a newer one.

Is there a way to check and know which socket it is without opening it up?

Also, it's a dell dimension 9100.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Blythe31 said:
Minox_IX said:

Is there a way to check and know which socket it is without opening it up?

Also, it's a dell dimension 9100.
You're out of luck then. I have the exact same PC and while it technically should be possible to upgrade to newer CPUs since it has socket 775 it's not possible since Dell has locked the BIOS to only work with the CPUs that Dimension 9100 was shipped with.

Blythe31

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Minox_IX said:
You're out of luck then. I have the exact same PC and while it technically should be possible to upgrade to newer CPUs since it has socket 775 it's not possible since Dell has locked the BIOS to only work with the CPUs that Dimension 9100 was shipped with.

Well that's no good. =/
So I guess if I do want to fix the slowdowns, there's no other options but upgrading to a new pc?
Would I be better off buying a new PC or just getting a barebone ones and using most of what is already in my PC besides the cpu and maybe the motherboard?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/L7XokiY