Hardware Graphics card suddenly choppy, :(, please help!

steveo581

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I purchased a Radeon HD 7750 about three months ago and has been working perfectly, playing games at 1080p with no issues. However, about a week ago when I try to boot any game the picture becomes very choppy and I have lowered the resolution and it has not fixed the issue. I have checked for the lastest drivers and updated the microsoft framework to 4.5 but it still continues. If I go through AMD catalyst and update, everything will be fine again, but only temporarily.

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Download the latest driver from the AMD website
2. Completely uninstall your current drivers, catalyst control center, etc. using the "Programs and Features" control panel applet, and device manager
3. Reboot the machine
4. Install the latest drivers
5. Reboot the machine

Any luck?

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I purchased a Radeon HD 7750 about three months ago and has been working perfectly, playing games at 1080p with no issues. However, about a week ago when I try to boot any game the picture becomes very choppy and I have lowered the resolution and it has not fixed the issue. I have checked for the lastest drivers and updated the microsoft framework to 4.5 but it still continues. If I go through AMD catalyst and update, everything will be fine again, but only temporarily.
Thats quite strange, make sure no driver collisions, so do as the poster above says.

zhaul

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Do you see artifacts?
de_dust20002.jpg

steveo581

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I followed the instruction by PityOnU and it worked for a little bit but back to the same choppiness again. I didn't upgrade to the 13.6 beta driver to see if that was the problem but apparently it something else.

steveo581

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no. i don't wanna constantly have to uninstall and install new drivers again and I can't tell if its a software issue or the card is going bad.

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Clean the card, worked for every card I ever had that did that. Usually it requires removing the shell from the card (the shell usually over the card that has a brand name and a hole for the fan) and blow the dust from the heatsink. Get in there good!

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I followed the instruction by PityOnU and it worked for a little bit but back to the same choppiness again. I didn't upgrade to the 13.6 beta driver to see if that was the problem but apparently it something else.

If you've tried multiple drivers and it behaves similarly under all, and if it tends to work for a while and then suddenly lag, then it sounds like a heat issue. You can try what multiple users have mentioned and clean out the heat sink for the card (animal hair and dust can block those things up PDQ leading to hardly any airflow at all).

You could also try cleaning the PCIe contacts on the card using a rubber eraser (heard those work well).

Short of that, your card may have been damaged/damaged itself during use. I've encountered cards in the past that do really strange things because a block of VRAM on the card is semi-functional or corrupted. This is also really hard to test for. Maybe others have ideas on this?

steveo581

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for the advice and the quick responses. I opened the case to check the card and saw little to no dust whatsoever. Its low profile so i dont think anything can really get stuck. I ran gpu-z after cleaning it and the temp was 36C when online and idling. I booted up a game and got no choppiness and checked the temp which after an hour topped at 60C. Will try again later to see if it reverts back again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    S @ salazarcosplay: How are you @AncientBoi :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: