Hardware Got my computer back, not working...

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello
So... after my pc broke, i gathered parts and all
I ended up going to the geek squad to get them assembled, and it worked fine... they say...
Because it doesn't work back home...
Well, it works halfly...
See... it plugged it and all, i didn't even turn it on, but the external hard drive is rumbling, thr keyboard led are on...
But nothing on the screen, and none of the fans in the computer seem to work.
I called the geek squad, but they were closed, so i called their ''HQ'' and they told me to unplug everything, press the power button many times, and let it rest for 20 minutes so the static can get out.
Still not working... anyone has an idea?
If no one knows... well... i'll go back to the geek squad in two days, there's icy rain tomorow so can't really...
Thanks

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm assuming it's a desktop PC you're talking about, what was broken initially and what parts did they assemble?

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm assuming it's a desktop PC you're talking about, what was broken initially and what parts did they assemble?
Well... i though it was the cpu, but earlier this week, they told me the gpu was broke, so i guess i was wrong...

So, the new parts are the motherboard, the ram, the power supply, the case, the cpu and the coolers.
Hdd are all from my old pc, the gpu is missing, but i'm plugged in the integrated graphics cars in the cpu.

The guys at the geek squad told me it was working fine with the cpu gc...

As i said, stuff plugged in the usb ports work fine, like the ext. Hdd or the keyboard, but the rest doesn't work...

Help!

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well... i though it was the cpu, but earlier this week, they told me the gpu was broke, so i guess i was wrong...

So, the new parts are the motherboard, the ram, the power supply, the case, the cpu and the coolers.
Hdd are all from my old pc, the gpu is missing, but i'm plugged in the integrated graphics cars in the cpu.

The guys at the geek squad told me it was working fine with the cpu gc...

As i said, stuff plugged in the usb ports work fine, like the ext. Hdd or the keyboard, but the rest doesn't work...

Help!
Close to a new build. Could be because the GPU isn't there or the HDD is from a different PC.
If they know what they're doing, the PC parts should be compatible with each other, assuming they boot it up and everything was fine, they should've installed drivers for these components otherwise the hdd (with Windows) it only knows/has drivers from the old components, so it doesn't know how to access them. If you're willing to fix it yourself, i would suggest removing the old hdd and install Windows (or Linux etc) into a new hdd, and see if boots.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Close to a new build. Could be because the GPU isn't there or the HDD is from a different PC.
If they know what they're doing, the PC parts should be compatible with each other, assuming they boot it up and everything was fine, they should've installed drivers for these components otherwise the hdd (with Windows) it only knows/has drivers from the old components, so it doesn't know how to access them. If you're willing to fix it yourself, i would suggest removing the old hdd and install Windows (or Linux etc) into a new hdd, and see if boots.
Well... as i said, they said it was working fine without a gpu, with the cpu only

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ok, got a new problem
my external hdd seem to have a problem
when i plug it in, it is scanned by kaspersky, but at the end of the scan, it says like "6 files scanned" while there are much much much much much more in my dd.
After maybe a minute, the dd is undetected by my pc...
What do you think it could be?

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
ok, got a new problem
my external hdd seem to have a problem
when i plug it in, it is scanned by kaspersky, but at the end of the scan, it says like "6 files scanned" while there are much much much much much more in my dd.
After maybe a minute, the dd is undetected by my pc...
What do you think it could be?
probably a bad cable/connector. the drive switches of for only a friction of time and the scanner stops scanning, saying complete.
to be sure, each external hdd has and normal internal hdd inside with a converting chip to most likely USB. open it up, connect it directly by most likely sata.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
probably a bad cable/connector. the drive switches of for only a friction of time and the scanner stops scanning, saying complete.
to be sure, each external hdd has and normal internal hdd inside with a converting chip to most likely USB. open it up, connect it directly by most likely sata.
sorry, I really can't do that...
Plus, it does it every time i plug it in... so i guess it must be a software problem, no?

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Plus, it does it every time i plug it in... so i guess it must be a software problem, no?
The drive really shouldn't be scanned, as it could delete something that you care about if it detects a false positive. Make sure the usb cable connecting it is good and if not try with another, same with hdd enclosure.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
look in device manager. does it show a yellow triangle and exclamation point over the usb device? uninstall the device, then restart your pc. if that doesn't work, you may need to install a driver specific for your usb devices instead of one that's generic. look up the device and vendor ids from properties, and try them in here: https://pcilookup.com/

I've never used that site as there used to be another that I used, but it doesn't seem to exist anymore. that will probably tell you the name and give you a link to the device driver for your usb controller.

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
It does it every time doesn't make it software, could be a caap, cold still be bad contact.
external hdd aint't got much software other than usb data transmission, mostly as your usb driver is installed so is your hardware.
now okay that's not always the case,windows 95 needs usb manager installed as software, i don't think you run windows 95, maybe temple OS hasn't got the drivers installed for USB storage, but it shouldn't, about all external hdd's use the same transfer software built-in in almost any os, almost always working the sameway.
i don't agree with not scanning for it might still whipe something important to you, something triggering your scanner even though it seems to be only that picture might still contain a virus wich could be why your system crashes random, files random disapear...
you shouldn't ignore it, then again, you could sandbox -> open it or clean this picture or whatever...
i've never seen a pendrive or external hdd fail over software, bat connection or underpower though might crash it.
underpower might also causing your pc to misfunction.
try an y-cable with your pc, usb charger and the hdd.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9p0iK877W4