Hardware Got a new batch Pro Controller.

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's the D-pad. There are varying degrees of random inputs, most usually an adjacent input, like up or down when pressing left or right, or vice versa. There's several "fixes" from the community of people who are trying to figure out what the root problem is because the design seems similar to previous d-pads but the inputs are just crazy sometimes. This is seen mostly in high level Puyo Puyo Tetris play.

A simple google search of "pro controller d pad" will yield more than enough results of people out there doing research, getting RMAs, and being disappointed. You don't have to take my word for it.

What's funny is for all the people who are really testing and trying to find a good working controller, there's always someone (sorry) in there saying that they don't know what they're talking about and their D-pad is flawless. If you don't have an issue with your d-pad, cool, it doesn't mean that other people aren't experiencing issues.

Last edited by Tomobobo,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
It's the D-pad. There are varying degrees of random inputs, most usually an adjacent input, like up or down when pressing left or right, or vice versa. There's several "fixes" from the community of people who are trying to figure out what the root problem is because the design seems similar to previous d-pads but the inputs are just crazy sometimes. This is seen mostly in high level Puyo Puyo Tetris play.

A simple google search of "pro controller d pad" will yield more than enough results of people out there doing research, getting RMAs, and being disappointed. You don't have to take my word for it.

What's funny is for all the people who are really testing and trying to find a good working controller, there's always some retard in there saying that they don't know what they're talking about and their D-pad is flawless. If you don't have an issue with your d-pad, cool, it doesn't mean that other people aren't experiencing issues.
Yeah, I think a lot of that is familiarity with the other style of D-pad. I'm sure the multi-press thing is an issue, but there's no way it's a problem for 100% of the units. Probably not even 50%. As long as I actually press the direction I want, my SPC always registers the correct input.

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I promise you, if you send me your pro controller, I can make a video of it messing up. Just because you press your d-pad the "right" way doesn't mean others are using it "wrong". The thing just doesn't work like a reliable d-pad, and that's where people are sad.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I think a lot of that is familiarity with the other style of D-pad. I'm sure the multi-press thing is an issue, but there's no way it's a problem for 100% of the units. Probably not even 50%. As long as I actually press the direction I want, my SPC always registers the correct input.
You have to be very precise with which direction you push, which means it's a poorly designed dpad

Reactions: Tomobobo

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's one reason I bought the 8bitdo controller, may pick a pro controller up if they've fixed the problems.
I bought 2 haha. They work great, but not in conjunction with Joy-Cons... The bluetooth signal seems to be too strong or something. Another 8bitdo user contacted them, and they said they are looking into a fix. The solution might be to just buy 4 of the 8bitdo controllers.

Reactions: CharlesHoy
S

Saiyan Lusitano

Weird that they got a bad batch? The entire batch is bad. Every single pro controller I've come across has the issue in varying degree. There are several other people who have similar findings. People who claim they have "good" pro controllers are either completely lying or aren't playing to full potential. This thread interested me because I have hope that one day Nintendo might actually fix it.

@Nemix77 How did it work for Puyo Puyo Tetris? I've found that the input test screen actually has input restrictions, and doesn't register as many presses as can actually be done in Puyo Puyo Tetris.
No, no one besides him ever complained about the Pro Controller being bad or faulty. Amazon, YouTube, IGN, Nintendo, customers everyone loves it.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, no one besides him ever complained about the Pro Controller being bad or faulty. Amazon, YouTube, IGN, Nintendo, customers everyone loves it.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/editorial/44760/the-switch-pro-controllers-d-pad-dysfunction

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1354990

I'm pretty sure one gbatemp user isn't the only one experiencing the problem. I sure wish people who aren't experiencing these frustrations wouldn't try to downplay the issue. Most people try to claim that it doesn't happen at all, and like you said "everyone loves it", that's just not true. It only hinders progress on fixing the problem for those who are having trouble.

If yours works well for you, that's good. Why do you feel you need to defend it? We appreciate the input, but trying to find one of these "fully working" controllers seems to be almost impossible for quite a few people, and I'm willing to bet that the people who claim theirs works flawlessly aren't testing the controller to full potential. There are many accounts of people going through 4 or more controllers which all behave similarly. I'd love to test a real fully working d-pad, I'd make a video of it working properly. I can't do that, because every controller I have used has been faulty. I've asked users who claim theirs works perfectly to make a video in Puyo Puyo Tetris showing no false "quick drop" inputs, but none have showed me. I'd imagine it's a hard video to make, but most claim that they don't feel the need to prove that theirs works, and that's fine. Please leave us to our research if you don't want to contribute properly.

Several people have found that every single controller they get into their hands has the issue. I would go as far as to say that 100% of the controllers are faulty, or at the best, don't perform as well as other dpads. This is my experience, and lots of other peoples experience. We are looking for a fix to our problem. If you don't have a solution, or if you don't have the problem, don't worry about us.

S

Saiyan Lusitano

I've asked users who claim theirs works perfectly to make a video in Puyo Puyo Tetris showing no false "quick drop" inputs, but none have showed me.
Most people don't have a stand so that they can film it.

I'd imagine it's a hard video to make
Not hard, just don't have the tools.

most claim that they don't feel the need to prove that theirs works
And that's their opinion which needs to be respected.

Please leave us to our research if you don't want to contribute properly.
Egotistical attitude.

Several people have found that every single controller they get into their hands has the issue.
If you guys have tried tons and you didn't like then they simply aren't made for you.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
You have to be very precise with which direction you push, which means it's a poorly designed dpad
Not really, no. It's not like I have to look down at the controller for each press, it just works like any other. I can understand not liking the design, but that's more a preference thing since it functions just fine. Or the vast majority do, anyway.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really, no. It's not like I have to look down at the controller for each press, it just works like any other. I can understand not liking the design, but that's more a preference thing since it functions just fine. Or the vast majority do, anyway.
If you can't easily and quickly do a simple thumb roll to accurately make inputs without extra unintended inputs, it's a poor design. Games that require fast and precise inputs are more difficult on every pro controller I've tested.

ShonenJump

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
No one is saying it's broken. We are saying it's poorly designed, which is different.
never said broken. It just works fine as it is. No unintended inputs. Played with shovelknight ,puyo Tetris , waku waku7 and ultra street fighter 2. Works just fine. Poor design? Well i expected it to make a click sound when press the dpad. But im okay with it for what it is. It just works

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
never said broken. It just works fine as it is. No unintended inputs. Played with shovelknight ,puyo Tetris , waku waku7 and ultra street fighter 2. Works just fine. Poor design? Well i expected it to make a click sound when press the dpad. But im okay with it for what it is. It just works
well then maybe I got a dud. Have only used a few and they were all bought near launch. Either way I still feel it's their worst dpad nintendo has made solely because of the lacking middle pivot.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
well then maybe I got a dud. Have only used a few and they were all bought near launch. Either way I still feel it's their worst dpad nintendo has made solely because of the lacking middle pivot.
So was the D-pad on several Wii U controllers, so I think Nintendo got mostly positive input on it, or a lack of negative input, however you want to view it.

Elusivo

Shinobu Molester
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The centre pivot in the dpad is there.

What makes the unintended presses is because of the rubber membrane, the 4 circles that make contact on the pcb are too high and with a not big enough circumference, they act as pivots just like the center of the dpad.
So is easy to understand why, if we dun press exactly the center of each button, there's a high change the dpad pivots enough to press down on the next rubber contact.

I think another reason it sometimes even registers 1st on the up/down even tho we pressed to the right for ex. is because of the pcb pad design, since it's only divided in 2 halfs without intersecting copper lines, if we press to the right in a way that the pressure goes mostly to one of the up or down half of the pcb pad then it's very possible it will register the adjacent contact before the intended one cause of it pivoting up or down.

When i have time i gonna try that reddit user's tape solution, but i gonna try using it on the outer side of the buttons instead, since the pad pivots outwards, the 1st contac it makes should be the outside, not the inside as in his diagram.
Or get some foam, make a hole in the middle to fit around the rubber membrane contacts, that should give it better/wider support for each button and prevent accidental pivoting and inputs.

Sent from my X900+ using Tapatalk

Last edited by Elusivo,

Mechageo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The dpad "works", but imo it's probably one of Nintendo's worst implementations of a dpad. The main issue is its missing the bump in the middle. It's far too easy to accidentally hit multiple directions when you intend to push one. I've died so many times in BOTW because when I'm sneaking and go to switch arrows I end up calling for my horse and being attacked. I've been using the fc30 pro more than my pro controller because of that. It's just all around more precise on the dpad.
Actually, it does have the middle bump. The Switch Pro Contorller's D-Pad is actually very similar to the SNES D-Pad and is almost identical to the Wii U Pro Controller's.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I don't trust the free ones, but ipvanish I've used for couple years now, n like
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I wonder if they could get CPUs to run that hot then use the heat to power a steam turbine to power the CPUs....
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good idea, or at least power the GPU
    It's not the movies or games downloads that I would worry about, like breaking into networks, downloading encrypted things, spying on network traffic. I have seen so many "Top Secret" seals on files when I was a kid
    I was obsessed with finding UFOs, a surprising amount of US files where stashed on computers in other countries, China back in the early 90s omg sooo much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that crazy, I've never tried hack into anything, I just pirate, and my ISP have send me 3-4 letters, so had to VPN it
    Ship to ship communication software for the Navy although without access to the encrypting chips it was mostly useless
    I bet now a 4090 could probably crack it? Hmmm maybe not even back then I'm pretty sure they where using like 1024 bit encryption
    Yayyy the one set finished 324GBs lol
    Compressed....
    I wonder how many years that would have taken on a 56K modem lol
    18000 hours lol
    750 days lol
    +1
    So Internet is very much faster now lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Time Remaining- 2 years, 9 girlfriends, 6 hairstyles, please standby..."
    +1
    I remember one time I downloaded like a 500MB ISO file on 56K and that literally took like 2 days
    I had some sort of resume thing, I remember the software had chains
    Damned if I can't remember.the name though
    Some sort of download management app
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    hey psi
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson