Got a good computer finally.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So my friend was selling his custom made computer that he paid $1200.00 around 2007 or so. He doesn't use the thing at all, it's been sitting on his desk full of viruses and hardware problems. I said I was after a new computer, and he goes with a "price is right stance" "You're looking to buy, I'm looking to sell!"

So before I go on, let me explain what kind of computer I was running with:

Acer
3.2ghz Celeron
1GB RAM
120 gigs
ATI Radeon X1650 Pro

Which I paid 100 bucks for, except for the graphics card I paid full price. It managed to get the job done for me for so many years. It's how I downloaded ROMs, got my movies, music, it was everything I needed. Then when me and my friend went to put extra RAM in it, it unexpectedly started melting, and it wouldn't turn on. We think it's the ribbon because there's a tiny hole in it, but we're not sure. We tried other ribbons, but nothing.

So after talking to my friend about his computer, he agreed to sell it to me for $500.00. How could I say no considering the specs (compared to my old computer).

Intel Core 2 Duo
E8400
3.00GHz
500gb HDD
2GB of RAM (Had 4 gigs, but one chip fried) - Expandable up to 8.
nVidia 9800 GT

I'm pretty psyched. I just gotta find out how to take my 120 gb harddrive and use it as a slave for this one.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Am I the only one who thinks that's not a $500 computer?
I'm staring at the specs and I can't see $500.

Buuut compared to your other computer it's certainly an improvement. Congratz.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude... what did you do?

I suggest you talk to your friend or something, he obviously didn't have your best interest in mind.

AlanJohn

くたばれ
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
QUOTE said:
500gb HDD
rofl2.gif

Kayot

Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
My specs,

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8Ghz
MSI 870A-G54 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
Palit GeForce GTX 460 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Pre OC
8 GB of DDR3 OCZ
Arctic Heatsink (Huge block)
Thermaltake Extended Case
750w OCZ Modular Powersupply

650$ all new before tax on November 23, 2010

I think I had a few other things like FakeRaid cards, but I can't be sure. This system was built to play PS2 and Wii games at 1080p. It does a pretty good job and with the new PCSX2 and Dolphin Emulators that just came out it's doing even better. Still wish I would've sprang for the AMD Black Box for an unlocked chip. I also used Arctic Silver compound on the heatsink, though not sure if that really helped.

I have a rule, always buy new. I've been on the receiving end of what looked like good deals only to get screwed. My brother was big for doing that. When a system becomes out dated I figure out which family member needs it the most and give it to them.

So Rule 114, Buy new unless you can't find it new or new has a nerf not present in older models, such as hackable firmware or what not.

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Lol. Rip off
smile.gif
Understandable if it is from friend, but even if i were to buy from my best friend i wouldnt even pay that much for it. Why dont you grab urself a brand new computer with those 500 dollars and then invite him to dinnner and pay everything urself as a thank you? Profit profit.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
nico445 said:
that stuff is way to outdated for 500$... could build way better things with that

hankchill said:
Buddy you got ripped. The total for that setup would be no more than $250.

You can build an AMD 6-core 3.2GHz unit for just around $500.

_Chaz_ said:
Dude... what did you do?

I suggest you talk to your friend or something, he obviously didn't have your best interest in mind.

Alan John said:
QUOTE500gb HDD
rofl2.gif

QUOTE(Kayot @ Sep 15 2011, 03:07 PM)
My specs,

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8Ghz
MSI 870A-G54 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
Palit GeForce GTX 460 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Pre OC
8 GB of DDR3 OCZ
Arctic Heatsink (Huge block)
Thermaltake Extended Case
750w OCZ Modular Powersupply

650$ all new before tax on November 23, 2010

I think I had a few other things like FakeRaid cards, but I can't be sure. This system was built to play PS2 and Wii games at 1080p. It does a pretty good job and with the new PCSX2 and Dolphin Emulators that just came out it's doing even better. Still wish I would've sprang for the AMD Black Box for an unlocked chip. I also used Arctic Silver compound on the heatsink, though not sure if that really helped.

I have a rule, always buy new. I've been on the receiving end of what looked like good deals only to get screwed. My brother was big for doing that. When a system becomes out dated I figure out which family member needs it the most and give it to them.

So Rule 114, Buy new unless you can't find it new or new has a nerf not present in older models, such as hackable firmware or what not.

*sigh*

- He's done a lot for me in the past without asking for anything in return. I owe him a lot. I said the price for 500, as he asked for 350, and I felt bad.
- I don't want a computer that can do the most amazing things ever. I want one that will do what I want to do, which is little bit of gaming of some titles I've missed, not for ones that are coming out or are out now.
- 500GB is a lot for me, considering all of my files that I get are compressed small, and I don't do a download frenzy. I do a regular cleanup of my pc every week.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Midna said:
I do hate to make people feel bad about their computers online, but that was simply not worth it at all.

QUOTE- He's done a lot for me in the past without asking for anything in return. I owe him a lot. I said the price for 500, as he asked for 350, and I felt bad.
- I don't want a computer that can do the most amazing things ever. I want one that will do what I want to do, which is little bit of gaming of some titles I've missed, not for ones that are coming out or are out now.
- 500GB is a lot for me, considering all of my files that I get are compressed small, and I don't do a download frenzy. I do a regular cleanup of my pc every week.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier: If you're happy with the arrangement then I'm happy for you.
While it's true that you could have gotten more for the money, there are few things so noble as recompensing a person that has helped you in the past.

Santee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't listen to people who value money and computers more than friendship, it fits all your needs, and is a huge upgrade for you although, you could've gotten a better one, you and your friend are happier now, and it was a sort of win win situation.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Moneywise: bad idea. However,
Morally: good idea.

It was nice of you to offer more than what he asked for. He must be a really good friend if you're paying $150 for what he did for you.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm headed in town today. I'm thinking of buying Portal 2 as it's cheap, and an extra RAM chip. I want to get a HDD so I never have to delete anything after it builds up, but I don't think I'll have enough lol.

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
DarkStriker said:
Lol. Rip off
smile.gif
Understandable if it is from friend, but even if i were to buy from my best friend i wouldnt even pay that much for it. Why dont you grab urself a brand new computer with those 500 dollars and then invite him to dinnner and pay everything urself as a thank you? Profit profit.
This is the win win situation. Deeper friendship after dinner. Even better computer with the 500. Win win

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
ShadowSoldier said:
I'm headed in town today. I'm thinking of buying Portal 2 as it's cheap, and an extra RAM chip. I want to get a HDD so I never have to delete anything after it builds up, but I don't think I'll have enough lol.

Get Portal 2. Best game I've played this year.

D

Deleted_171835

emigre said:
ShadowSoldier said:

Get Portal 2. Best game I've played this year.
what he said.

Portal 2 is one of the best fucking games I've ever played.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1