Google Lawsuit

  • Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 1,885
  • Replies 13
D

Deleted User

Guest
OP
In an e-mail to users, Google officially announced the settlement of its Google Buzz class-action lawsuit, reports Switched.



As PCMag.com notes, affected users (i.e. those that received the e-mail) have four options: accept the settlement, object, go to a hearing or do nothing. However, none of the options will result in cash. Instead, the $8.5 million settlement will go into a fund for privacy education. BuzzClassAction.com explains:

Under the Settlement, Google will establish an $8.5 million Common Fund to fund organizations focused on Internet privacy policy or privacy education, as well as to cover lawyers’ fees and costs and other expenses.


Users have until Dec. 6 to exclude themselves from the settlement, with the option to bring another suit.

~ http://www.itbusinessedge.com/cm/community...thing/?cs=44091


Email forwarded to my second inbox. V
My Email Inbox said:
Google rarely contacts Gmail users via email, but we are making an exception to let you know that we've reached a settlement in a lawsuit regarding Google Buzz (http://buzz.google.com), a service we launched within Gmail in February of this year.

Shortly after its launch, we heard from a number of people who were concerned about privacy. In addition, we were sued by a group of Buzz users and recently reached a settlement in this case.

The settlement acknowledges that we quickly changed the service to address users' concerns. In addition, Google has committed $8.5 million to an independent fund, most of which will support organizations promoting privacy education and policy on the web. We will also do more to educate people about privacy controls specific to Buzz. The more people know about privacy online, the better their online experience will be.

Just to be clear, this is not a settlement in which people who use Gmail can file to receive compensation. Everyone in the U.S. who uses Gmail is included in the settlement, unless you personally decide to opt out before December 6, 2010. The Court will consider final approval of the agreement on January 31, 2011. This email is a summary of the settlement, and more detailed information and instructions approved by the court, including instructions about how to opt out, object, or comment, are available at http://www.BuzzClassAction.com.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
This mandatory announcement was sent to all Gmail users in the United States as part of a legal settlement and was authorized by the United States District Court for the Northern District of California.

Google Inc. | 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway | Mountain View, CA 94043
 

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2009
Messages
4,023
Trophies
1
Age
33
Location
Texas
XP
1,110
Country
United States
Wait... What? Just checked my email, I received an identical document.

What the hell is this about? As much as I can gather... something to do with poor privacy protection?
 
D

Deleted User

Guest
OP
Sterl500 said:
Wait... What? Just checked my email, I received an identical document.
Yup, Google basically inserted all of us into Buzz - a bit like your ISP behind-your-back signing you up to Facebook and releasing your personal details. So people got fed up and sued.
 

MeritsAlone

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
419
Trophies
0
Age
28
Location
Spaaaaace!
Website
Visit site
XP
115
Country
Now im actually happy to live in europe
toot.gif
 

Urza

hi
Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2007
Messages
6,493
Trophies
0
XP
783
Country
United States
tigris said:
Sterl500 said:
Wait... What? Just checked my email, I received an identical document.
Yup, Google basically inserted all of us into Buzz - a bit like your ISP behind-your-back signing you up to Facebook and releasing your personal details. So people got fed up and sued.
Incorrect.

The suit was regarding the fact that Buzz had a huge security flaw where it would automatically display any of your frequent gmail contacts publically on your profile page. Buzz being opt-out only increased the number of plaintiffs.
 

Urza

hi
Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2007
Messages
6,493
Trophies
0
XP
783
Country
United States
arpeejajo said:
I got the e-mail too, but it only affects people in the US correct?
It doesn't really affect anyone.

The email was sent out merely to inform on the results of the suit, as ordered by the court.
 

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Joined
Oct 13, 2008
Messages
5,359
Trophies
2
Location
Purgatory
XP
4,149
Country
United Kingdom
I got the email too but I've never used Buzz. It just looked like a Twitter wannabe that never caught on.

Wave seems to have come and gone as well.
 
D

Deleted User

Guest
OP
Urza said:
tigris said:
Sterl500 said:
Wait... What? Just checked my email, I received an identical document.
Yup, Google basically inserted all of us into Buzz - a bit like your ISP behind-your-back signing you up to Facebook and releasing your personal details. So people got fed up and sued.
Incorrect.

The suit was regarding the fact that Buzz had a huge security flaw where it would automatically display any of your frequent gmail contacts publically on your profile page. Buzz being opt-out only increased the number of plaintiffs.
what i said
 

Urza

hi
Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2007
Messages
6,493
Trophies
0
XP
783
Country
United States
tigris said:
Urza said:
tigris said:
Sterl500 said:
Wait... What? Just checked my email, I received an identical document.
Yup, Google basically inserted all of us into Buzz - a bit like your ISP behind-your-back signing you up to Facebook and releasing your personal details. So people got fed up and sued.
Incorrect.

The suit was regarding the fact that Buzz had a huge security flaw where it would automatically display any of your frequent gmail contacts publically on your profile page. Buzz being opt-out only increased the number of plaintiffs.
what i said
Once again, the fact that it was opt-out is not the grounds for the lawsuit, which is what you seemed to state.
 

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    we're cooked, possibly literally
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    if you have a habitable basement, the heat shouldn't be down there and that's where you should hang out
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    No, but, the air conditioner in my living room gets fuckin icy
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    In a good way, not as in a "my coils are freezing" kind of way
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Not everyone lives in theirs mom's basement gosh
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nah, my mom's basement is just for the weekends to check in on the family
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i usually live in your mom's basement
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    saves a lot of time fr
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    It's 11:30 PM here, I just took the trash out and my god is it awful outside
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    This heatwave can eat my ass
    +3
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    omg same, it's VERY hot here, too
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck this heatwave, i don't usually sleep with a fan, but i believe the fan is getting put on the bed rather than beside it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IT'S 12:30 IN THE FUCKING MORNING AND IT'S STILL 78°, WHAT THE FUCK?
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    78º seems abnormal for any part of the day
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea it was 96 F for the high, 78 F for the low today, in Ohio, bout same for bakerman in Michigan
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    F- fahrenheit C-Celsius. We in USA use F as our temp ratings
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    F = Freedom units
    +2
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    So... C = Cum units?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Clip units
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @HiradeGirl, That's how they get bigger loans at the bank.
    +1
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Welp.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Welp.