• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 3,257
  • Replies 21
D

Deleted_171835

OP
symbols.png

When you’re a professional blogger, you have a lot of tabs open on an hourly basis. Like fifty. Or a hundred. Or so many that your top of the line iMac maxed out with RAM and loaded with a lightning fast SSD drive bogs down and begins to spit out acrid smoke. It becomes such a part of your daily life that you spend more time than you could even imagine having passionate opinions about the way browsers display tabs: are favicons necessary? What about multi-rows?

In other words, being a pro blogger can be pretty stupid… but when Google comes along and announces a new charitable initiative as cool as Chrome for a Cause, I thank my lucky stars I have a career that makes me passionate about anything as pedantic as tabs.

What’s Chrome for a Cause? It’s a new extension for Chrome which, if you’re a Chrome user, you should install now. What happens when you install? Every tab you open from that moment forward will trigger Google to make a donation to one of five charities, including

* The Nature Conservancy
* charity: water
* Doctors Without Borders
* Un Techo para mi Pais
* Room To Read

Everyday from today, the 15th, and December 19th, Chrome for a Cause will count how many tabs you have opened, multiply that into cash and ask you at the end of the day which charity to donate your tabs to.

Brilliant. I think, though, Google may have overestimated their fortune: they can not even begin to imagine how many tabs bloggers open up in the course of a day. We’ll bleed them dry.[/p]

icon11.gif
Source

Time to start opening those tabs!
tongue.gif

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Chrome is a nice browser already. But it's good to know me using it is benefiting someone in need.

Y05h1

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
How cool! I'm a chronic tabber, so I could definitely make a significant contribution...
Too bad I got addicted to the latest Firefox Beta.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
IchigoSJ said:
I'm guessing its a 1 cent to 1 tab ratio nonetheless still a great idea.

I'm pretty sure they don't want to announce a ratio/rate before the operation is completed, otherwise people would abuse it.
Once the amount of tabs has been collected they'll calculate a ratio that matches what they expected.
they probably already know how much they're gonna give away.

Invisible Man

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Google has set the max amount they are willing to donate and also limited the amount of tabs which count to the cause per person, per day...

QUOTE said:
The Charitable Donation

Google has set a maximum contribution of $1,000,000 associated with the Google Chrome for a Cause extension. You agree Google may change this maximum contribution at its sole discretion.

Limit on tabs submitted

Google Chrome for a Cause sets a daily maximum for the number of tabs you may submit, presently equal to 250 tabs per day. You are also limited to accruing one tab per second towards your daily maximum. You agree to abide by these limitations, and will not use multiple accounts, automated means or other methods to circumvent these limitations. You further agree that Google may change these limitations at its sole discretion.
http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/p/cause/tos/

When you take into account the $6.5 billion profit Google makes per year their contribution suddenly seems a lot smaller.

I still installed it anyway just to help push Google closer to the $1 million donation.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That's a pretty cool idea, i'm a doted firefox user though, I've set up my browsing experience just the way I like it.

Free Rice has a thing too, you install a plugin that lets you search webpages using the Free Rice engine.
Means you aren't using google though, so boo.
frown.gif

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Y05h1 said:
How cool! I'm a chronic tabber, so I could definitely make a significant contribution...
Firefox Beta 4 is great but it bums me out that it doesn't have support for most plugins, like stylish...

PettingZoo

yesss
Trophies
Website
iancoulton.com
XP
Country
FireGrey said:
Y05h1 said:
Firefox Beta 4 is great but it bums me out that it doesn't have support for most plugins, like stylish...
I'm always using Minefield for my browsing (Firefox nightly builds, at the moment mainly Firefox 4 alphas/early beta builds), and you can just install Nightly Tester Tools that amongst many tools, allows you to force enable addons which usually function normally, although a few addons here and there require certain updates to function properly with new builds.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: At least someone other than myself thought it was funny :rofl: +1