Good Ubuntu Programs?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Jamstruth, Jan 14, 2011.

Jan 14, 2011

Good Ubuntu Programs? by Jamstruth at 10:52 PM (777 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. Jamstruth
    OP

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    So I've got my Ubuntu set up again. v10.10 32-bit (I've only got an old 64-bit CPU have had trouble with the 64-bit release before, mainly GPU related) and have it looking nice like this...
    [​IMG]
    Mainly this is to mind-fuck anybody who walks in on me using it but this isn't why I made the thread.

I've installed Ubuntu a few times in the past and always wind up wondering why I bothered since I never do anything in it that couldn't be done in my more familiar Windows environment. So this time I'm wondering if anybody knows any good apps I can put on here to use. I've already got WINE installed (Trackmania doesn't run too well but its a big thing to ask of it)

2. Dter ic

Member Dter ic ~

United Kingdom
    without a single doubt it's got to be compiz fusion

3. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    Wine, Playonlinux, Ubuntu Tweak, Compiz fusion, GIMP, and DosBox, are just a few that I use myself the must.

4. Mazor

Member Mazor Z80 master arch

Sweden
    Get lightweight SciTE for an excellent text editor.

htop for managing processes easier than with top and without bloat.

VMware/VirtualBox (VMware being superior in performance) for emulating Windows providing 100% compatibility with Windows programs (generally no support for graphics hardware hurr).

Terminal-based moc for playing music with a nice keyboard-controllable UI. Quod Libet, with features such as automatically downloading album art (even for lots of very obscure albums) out of the box, if you prefer GUI.

For better video quality and compatibility than VLC has get mplayer (get smplayer for a nice frontend for it).

Also, generally there's not much point in switching from Windows to Ubuntu, unless you have a specific reason you would likely be better off going back to Windows/trying some other OS.

5. raiderscrusade

Member raiderscrusade GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    How did you make Ubuntu look like a Mac xD

Also, if you want to code you could install like Java, Ruby on Rails etc [​IMG]

6. Terminator02

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    Macbuntu

7. Jamstruth
    OP

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    I'm Dual booting with Ubuntu mainly out of curiosity. Plus I'm going to be doing a computing course at Uni and in most of the labs I've seen there's been some form of Linux running there. Just experimenting before I get a new laptop and get a proper dual-boot install of Ubuntu or another Distro.