Good rubber tipped stylus?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Another World, Mar 4, 2011.

Mar 4, 2011
  1. Another World
    OP

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    My XL finally has two scratches, I'm done with the plastic tips. I don't like screen protectors because they bug me, dull the image, and i find they are a pain to take on/off. I'm looking for a "softer" rubber tipped stylus that will work well with the NDS touch screen. Any suggestions?

-Another World

2. Etalon

Member Etalon Former Akaio Fanboy

Morocco
    That's your own fault.

You need screen protectors. At least the one for the touchscreen (there's no real need to put protection on the topscreen).

The scratches don't came from the stylus, but from dust. This dust can scratch your screen.

I've tested a lot of styli, but I never found one that's better than the Original Nintendo XL Stylus. You can get new ones from Nintendo for ~5 Euros.

You can get Hori screen protectors from Hori for $ 8-10. These are the best ones.

Even if you don't want to spend $ 10, you can still get some $ 2 fake Hori screen protectos. Better than nothing.

But in any case you need a protection for the touchscreen. If you don't want that, then you'll have to deal with scratches for the rest of your life.

I got some european XL screen protectors for ~6 Euros, and they where quite easy to take on. Much easier than my Hori screen protectors for the DSi.

Etalon.

3. Another World
    OP

Colombia
    thanks for posting... now can we stay on topic?

-another world

4. SylvWolf

Member SylvWolf Ave Dominus Nox

United States
    Have you tried the PDA Panache stylus? It's worked great for me for quite a few months. Their DSi stylus seems to be out of stock, however.

5. Etalon

Morocco
    This is the topic. What you wan't doesn't exist. You need to change your ideas - or deal with scratches.

I don't care, it's not my XL. Mine has no scratches.

6. jceggbert5

Member jceggbert5 Check out my hack, New Retro Mario Bros.

United States
    Sorry, but I must agree with the others. Such product doesn't exist. Options:

• Screen Protector
    • Clean the screen before each use
    • Deal with it
    • Get some 800 grit sandpaper and lightly sand down the tip of your stylus. Then get some 1350 grit and polish it.

7. Another World
    OP

Colombia
    thanks for that tip, i'm looking into those.

i really don't care if its pda size, ds size, etc, just looking for a product that will work.

-another world

8. Etalon

Morocco
    I assume nothing about you. Except that you behave like a child. I don't care about you at all.

But I care about your DSi XL. [​IMG]

If you'd like to get more scratches: Don't use a screen protection.
    If you'd like to get no scratches at all: Use a screen protection.

Your choice. I don't care...

9. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    I did a google search for rubber tipped stylus and got a lot of results. I might be interested in one because I hate the lack of tactile feedback in hard plastic tips. Glad you brought this up, AW.

10. KirovAir

Member KirovAir Dutch Alcoholic Programmer

Netherlands
    This.

It's indeed the dust that actually causes the scratches. (Which was the core of your question) And you are not very friendly towards people who try to help you IMHO, AW.

Also, rubber tipped stylus' are everywhere. Even my local electronics shop sells them.

11. Another World
    OP

Colombia
    again, its not the dust, there is no dust. dust is not the issue here at all. there is never dust on the screen while playing. the tip of the stylus is flawed as was the original ds lite stylus i had.

i asked for one thing, i get another. i asked for one thing, i get another. i am being EXTREMLY patient and nice right now. don't treat me like a shady car mechanic, trying to sell me junk i don't want, didn't ask for, and won't use.

again rubber tipped styli do exist, and i did not ask if they did or did not. i simply want to know which ones work best with the ds touch screen and which ones may not work as well. some are a harder rubber and they feel more abrasive than plastic, some are very soft and do not get a good response. i asked for ideas on a rubber tipped stylus and i didn't expect an open forum of off-topic opinions. is it really THAT hard to keep responses on-topic?

-another world

12. Discord

Newcomer Discord Member

Canada
    You walk into his topic, completely ignoring that he said "no screen protectors" telling him to use them, he repeats his point, you call him a child, and make multiple posts in his topic, I'd have to say you do care.

On topic: http://videogame.brando.com/prod_detail.php?prod_id=00466

While not the most attractive things in the world, these supposedly have a soft tip designed to avoid scratches. Good luck on your search.

13. Another World
    OP

Colombia
    thanks for that, i might trck one of those down just based on the cool design =)

-another world

14. ihackedit

Member ihackedit GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Capacitive styluses are good because they are rubber tipped but they are for iphones because you can only use your finger they have to find materials for the styluses that will work.
    Heres a search on dealextreme:
    http://s.dealextreme.com/search/capacitive+stylus
    Your problem will be the big thick bulky tip on them and you will need a precise tip, i'll look around cause I need one, also the dealextreme ones are cheeap [​IMG]
    Edit: This looks nice: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/universal-cap...-assorted-55696 only $1.40 USD [​IMG]

15. tlyee61

Member tlyee61 le dancing Tyranitar~

United States
  16. leeday100196

Member leeday100196 GBAtemp's Official Infernape™

Australia
    If this is for the 3DS or any DS, then maybe its not such a good idea. It would create too much friction on the Touch Screen and make sliding motions difficult.

17. Evo.lve

Member Evo.lve All that you could be.

Australia
    I'd also recommend a capacitive stylus, cause a capacitive screen responds to electric charge and not pressure they're REALLY soft.