PS1/2 Good-looking upcoming 2008 games

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
OK, again, I don't have much time right now, but I'll be updating this list on the next few days.
Still, I have searched for some good upcoming games a la Hadrian:

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (Konami)
MS1.jpg

MS2.jpg

MS3.jpg

The last chapter of the Solid Snake saga of the behemot known as Metal Gear is going to be released this year. Looking as probably THE game to make people actually get a PS3, MGS4 will feature an evolution of the stealth gameplay that has blessed
the brand since it's conception.
Oh, and there is also the ending of the whole story...

Devil May Cry 4 (Capcom)
Devil-May-Cry-4.jpg

Devil_May_Cry_4-PS3,_Xbox_360_&_PCScreenshots8155Wnero01.jpg

devilmaycry3_large.jpg

Set between DMC1 and DMC2 Dante founds a new ally/foe called Nero. All we know about the story between both characters is that at some point, they fight in a no limits, no boundaries, no gravity (?) duel. All in all, this game's looks promise to be surpassed only by the joy of its gameplay.

Grand Theft Auto 4 (Rockstar Games)
GTA4.jpg

GTA41.jpg

GTA42.jpg

Once I saw a stupid post about GTA4. The truth is that this game is probably going to be the biggest thing in 2008. All the things that made the GTA franchise (and the whole free roaming idea) will be now more polished and presented in high definition, also, just as a little bonus... they say it's going to have multiplayer support....
The XBox version is also getting exclusive add on mission packs available on Live, while I really don't like micro transactions, the truth is that when used correctly (and cheaply), it's a great way to extend the playing time a of a game.

Soul Calibur 4 (Namco)
sc7_qjgenth.jpg

soul-calibur-4.jpg

SC41.jpg

Sould Calibur 4 won't be featuring an exclusive character on each console this time around (like in SC2), BUT, we'll get high def. graphics instead. All the favorites are back, including some new comers from the SC3 PS2 exclusive. No word about online play yet, but I guess it would be a mistake not to include it.

Last Remnant (Squenix)
lastremca.jpg

last-rem.jpg

last.jpg

At first sight you can tell that this game can be a direct answer to Hironobu Sakaguchi's Lost Odyssey, massive armies clashing on a fantastic battlefield. It really may be the case for the looks of the trailer and screens. There are scarce details about this title, but given Square Enix expertise on the fantastic setting and story telling, be sure that this game is gonna be at least above average.

White Night Story (Level-5/SCEA)
wn2.jpg

wn1.jpg

wn.jpg

Level-5's first project for the console is still under a lot of mystery. While some say that it's going to feature an open ended gameplay a la Oblivion, I seriously think however it plays, its going to rock. Battles are real time. Called White Night Chronicles in Japan, it hasn't been confirmed if the game is going to be released in the US on 2008.

Little Big Planet (SCEA)
Little.jpg

Little2.jpg

Little3.jpg

This game is as cute as Osaka's avatar. Well maybe even more. The true revolution about this project is not only the interaction between players to over come obstacles but the chance to actually create the obstacles ourselves, and share those obstacles and levels with our friends off course. With a physics engine so strong that it can make Motor Storm cry like a Linkibaby, all PS3 players are actually waiting to create their own little critter, equipped with accessories and clothes we design.

Burnout Paradise
(Criterion / EA)
bb1.jpg

bp1.jpg

bp.jpg

While this game's demo was heavily criticized for being a Test Drive Unlimited rip off, I think you can clearly see the Burnout style of play. The graphics look great, particles flying everywhere, chaos, madness, this game will be so fun, I cannot stress it enough. With no in-game menu, only good times await for those who drive in the streets of Paradise City.

Mercenaries 2: World in Flames
(EA)
mercs21.jpg

mercs22.jpg

mercs23.jpg

Those (4 people) who played the first one know that Pandemic and LucasArts did one hell of a job. Mercs2 is actually looking better than most action games now a days. If you never played Mercs, imagine an open ended jungle setting with loads of roads, rivers, barracks and Airports to blow up. On the huge maps, you can complete missions for each faction to earn money and get bigger and badder weapons and vehicles all to overthrown an evil Venezuelan dictator.

Mafia 2
(2KGames)
m22.jpg

m21.jpg

m23.jpg

Before the Godfather: The Videogame there was Mafia. Released in 2002, the game let you play like a Mobster in a fictional city called Lost Heaven. With a GTA style of gameplay and a huge well presented landscape the game was a mediocre one, but it definitely had a lot of potential and good ideas put to practice. Six years and 2'039.459 polygons later, Mafia 2 was announced. While fictional, the story is likely to have the same compelling atmosphere as the original title, only this time and on this generation, as a full Mafioso next gen game with amazing visuals. Let's see if this turn out to do what the Godfather was suppose to accomplish.

Battlefield: Bad Company
(EA)
B1.jpg

B2.jpg

B3.jpg

Battlefield 1942 was a revolution for online shooters, creating a whole new genre that spawned multiple games (like Warhawk). Bad Company is suppose to offer a fully fledged single player campaign on top of the familiar multiplayer action. While not sure of there will be a co-op play, I'm sure this game will really shine when killing hordes of digital people.
Its engine is suppose to be enhanced with new destructibility features, in fact, the main difference from the last Console version (Modern Warfare) is that this one according to DICE and EA is a true Battlefield evolution, they seem to be working really hard on this version graphic, sound and gameplay wise.
This Bad Company is looking pretty good in fact.

Star Wars: Force Unleashed
(LucasArts)
sW1.jpg

Star Wars: Force Unleashed is not only a videogame, but a whole multimedia project (novel+videogame+RPG) based on the story of Darth Vader's secret evil apprentice.
Developed with a combination of the Havok Engine, the Digital Molecular Matter (DMM) developed by Pixelux Entertainment for dynamically destructible objects and a impressive graphics engine by LucasArts this idea seems the biggest Star Wars project since the canonical movies.
One thing I think this game has against is its "April release", I hope they don't "Enter The Matrix" this game by releasing it unfinished and not tested, since it's a combination of sucha great technologies, this game deserves a good beta time to be fully polished. I hope they all have that one in mind.
Just to prove my point, there aren't any in game screenshots available on GameSpot at the moment.

Tom Clancy's EndWar
(UbiSoft)
EndWar1.jpg

EndWar2.jpg

EndWar3.jpg

EndWar is not an RTS per se, but a project so ambitious that it's almost scary.
With the story that narrates about World War 3, this game let's you control armies of west (US) and east (Russia) to control Europe. Unlike Halo Wars or Command & Conquer, this game puts the player at the same level as the troops (actually controlling one very much like Batallion Wars).
The true ambitious thing I refer is the multiplayer feature that it is said to actually make happen a true online global war where each battle will actually happen on the global battlefield and finally decide which side comes out victorious.
With the atmosphere a little in the future, expect great action AND incredible graphics courtesy of the mind of Tom Clancy.

Killzone 2
(Guerrilla)
K21.jpg

K22.jpg

K23.jpg

K24.jpg

K25.jpg

Even if I seriously doubt it, Killzone 2 was announced as a TBD 2008 release. The truth is that this game was only but a myth between 2005 and 2007 thanks to the first FMV showed at E3 that first year. Now, after everyone with at least half eye saw the last trailer, the myth has become hope (also read hype). Hope for a FPS that actually takes advantage of the Cell processor, Killzone as a Sony exclusive is meant to do that. One thing is clear though, the original was not as good as it was supposed to be, but no one can deny that Guerilla has a lot of potential on creating atmosphere, story and content. The only thing missing for a killer game is killer gameplay.
Here is to hope.

Not sure about 2008 releases:
- Resident Evil 5
- Final Fantasy XIII

Screens and info to be added soon!
Please, feel free to suggest more.

sekhu

moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
resi 5 is now 2009 not sure about ffxiii - 2008 will be a great year for the ps3, lots of games to look forward to. can't say the same for nintendo with only two titles that spring to mind (both nintendo franchises). 360 should have a bumper year too.

there's a lot more big name games set for ps3, but what you listed are pretty good already (bar GTA, which I don't like)

sonic209

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
OK, again, I don't have much time right now, but I'll be updating this list on the next few days.
Still, I have searched for some good upcoming games a la Hadrian:

- Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (Konami)
- Devil May Cry 4 (Capcom)
- Grand Theft Auto 4 (Rockstar Games)
- Soul Calibur 4 (Namco)
- Last Remnant (Squenix)
- White Night Story (Level 5/SCEA)
- Little Big Planet (SCEA)
- Burnout Paradise (Criterion / EA)
- Mercenaries 2: World in Flames (EA)

Not sure about 2008 releases:
- Resident Evil 5
- Final Fantasy XIII

Screens and info to be added soon!
Please, feel free to suggest more.
look at all the 4's

Hero-Link

Hero of Derrr
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
lol sonic209

Anyway, sekhu you SHOULD read the list.

DMC4 - PS3+Xbox360
GTA4 - PS3+Xbox360
SC4 - PS3+Xbox360
RE5 - PS3+Xbox360
the others i dunno (except the EA games... those are usually multi, hitting almost all consoles)

FFXIII you can bet its not coming out until late 2009
It IS squeenix we are talking about, they might release it in 2008 in Japan, but hitting Western Shores it might take half a year or so.

Also, you never know, there might be some "hidden" games waiting to be show. (Mario Kart Wii was announced not long ago.. and its getting a Q2 Release)

One game i havent heard much of, but seems to be cool "Disaster" for Wii.

Edit: OPS Torte my bad! (corrected)

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
This list (being PS3 only) doesn't mention if the games are exclusives, ports or multi plataform versions. As long as you'll be able to play it on the PS3 and the title looks good, it's here. There is another list I'm working on for the 360 here.

TaMs

Randomizer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Too much games for me. I'm probably getting 2-4 games next year anyway :s
btw you forgot gt5 prologue (or maybe even gt5 if it's coming out next year. Who knows.) And tekken 6 maybe. I'm not sure if that's 2008.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Those IHOP chips are actually pretty damn good
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They're made with left over pancake/wafle batter, that's been sitting out all day.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    3 hours on a riding lawn mower, my butt is numb and my whole body is still vibrating. Gonna be a long summer. :cry: I just need to buy some goats.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Did you leave your buttplug in?
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I feel like I spent the night with Ancientboi
    +3
  • Flame @ Flame:
    Ancientboi at it again.
    +2
  • Flame @ Flame:
    is it a bird is it a plane... no its Ancientboi banging your ass away !
    +3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Took along time to fit it in?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Snow days $25 on steam may grab it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Measuring sizes with AncientBoi, I see.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics...