Good graphic heavy games?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by davidsl_128, Dec 9, 2010.

Dec 9, 2010

Good graphic heavy games? by davidsl_128 at 12:25 AM (3,036 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. davidsl_128
    OP

Member davidsl_128 GBAtemp Brightsider

Colombia
    I don't know if it's in the close or distant future, but I'll get a gaming laptop sometime to, um, game. I'm making a list of games that will take advantage of the guy's graphic power, or at least games that look decent but are really fun!

So I thought of asking for advice here about which game(s) to get. The thing is, I don't like anything that's really hard for the sake of being hard; I love games, but I'm not really good at them [​IMG] Another thing, no RPG/strategy stuff. After all these years of RPGs, I realized those are the most life-absorbing games. And since one of my life goals is to, um, get a life, that wouldn't help [​IMG] So I've trained myself to not like RPGs and their repetiveness (which, to my surprise, wasn't that hard... they really tend to be slow and repetitive)

I like anything that's not too hard (or at least has an Easy difficulty setting) and is low on repetitive grinding and/or item collecting. Any suggestions?

Games I've liked:
    Zelda's
    Portal
    Pokemon (I know it's an RPG, but it's too good!)
    Guitar Hero / Rock Band
    Any racer that isn't too realistic

No-noes:
    Fallout 3/New Vegas
    Mass Effect (ok maybe I'll try it)
    Any GTA
    Tetris and puzzles in general

Also, no gory stuff. I can't stand seeing blood in real life, much less the exaggerated ultra-bloody blood in bloody games [​IMG]

2. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    Most graphics heavy games have earlier counterparts that play circles around them.

3. iggloovortex

Member iggloovortex GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    How about Dead Space? I know its old but its one of the better PC games with excellent graphics

EDIT: Also you could play Call of Duty Black Ops [​IMG]
    EDIT2: Download Steam, and browse that game selection. it has a shit ton

4. Arnold Schwarzen

Member Arnold Schwarzen GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I was gonna mention Duke Nukem Forever but 'spose that's much for you so never mind.

5. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    Pretty much every game that will be graphic heavy won't be for your tastes

edit: also, have you actually played Mass Effect or have you just read "RPG" somewhere and assume all RPGs are like slow jrpgs you find on handhelds?

The same goes for Fallout NV, why is it a no-no?

They're WRPGs, so most of the grinding you would find in a jRPG is gone, they both have Easy modes, and they both have excellent stories. Although the gore in New Vegas might turn you off, but there's probably an option to turn it off (if not, there's probably a mod).

6. murkurie

Member murkurie GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Batman Arkham Asylum, is really fun, no gore anything, batman doesn't kill... physics are also great in it.
    Burn Out Paradise City, good racing game, gfx are decent overall

I play both of those on a Gaming Laptop max gfx and they look great, but are definitely resource heavy

7. davidsl_128
    OP

Colombia
    I played Fallout 3 and it was very nice, it's not like most RPGs, but eventually I got bored... don't ask me why xD and since New Vegas is "more of the same", I don't want it either.

About Mass Effect, I COULD give it a try. I was thinking of playing a demo, if there's one. Or borrow it or something. But I'll try it, it looks cool!

And yeah, most graphic-heavy games are the kind of game I don't like, that's why I'm asking if there's something else [​IMG]

8. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Mass Effect is like $20 last time I checked. There's some blood but it's not gorey. It's an amazing game, it may quite easily be my favorite RPG out there (although KOTOR is pretty high too).

9. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    For the record, New Vegas is much better than Fallout 3. Less empty wasteland, more plot, side quests that are interesting, and a different developer. It looks the same, and is on the same engine, but is a different game entirely.

If you initially liked FO3 but eventually got bored, you should probably at least try New Vegas.

10. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    Crysis lol

11. ShadowFyre

Member ShadowFyre GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Desert Bus.

12. Mesiskope

Banned Mesiskope Banned

United States
    Madworld, tee hee

13. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    Crysis...we all know why. It's actually pretty fun.

Stick to not playing Mass Effect, it's a waste of time and effort to play. Boring and almost non existent gameplay, mixed with a boring bland story. Whoopie.

Mafia II. Very nice looking game. It's "open world" like GTA, but that's just to give the city some 'flow'. You'd only want to stick to the main story, which is really good aside from the ending. A few guys get killed but it isn't super gory.

14. davidsl_128
    OP

Colombia
    I don't think even the Alienware laptops could handle a game with so much powah!

Now seriously, thanks for the advice guys. Now I know what games I should get!

15. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    Garry's Mod, then nuke everything in sight just to tax the computer.

16. Megane

Member Megane GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    You could try Need for speed Hot pursuit 2...I've played it all week end and it's a seriously awesome not too realistic racer game.