Good computer build?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by pgimps, Apr 25, 2011.

Apr 25, 2011

Good computer build? by pgimps at 11:50 PM (1,242 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. pgimps
    OP

Newcomer pgimps Advanced Member

United States
    Hey guys I am building my computer and wanted to know if these parts are good

Case: Antec 902 V3

Motherbaord: EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR

RAM: G.Skill 8 GB (2 x 4gb) sniper 1600 MHZ

CPU Intel i7-990x

Main HD: Corsair Nova 32GB SSD SATA II

Backup: WD Caviar Black 500 GB, 7200 RPM, 32MB cache

Monitor: ASUS 23.6 1080p

Videocard: Sapphire Radeon HD 6970 2-GB, 256-bit, PCI Express 2.1 x 16

Mouse: Razar Deathadder

Keyboard: Saitek Eclipse II

PSU: Raidmax 850w, 80 PLUS GOLD

CPU Cooler: Cooler master V6 GT (pretty sure that fits, idk)

Wireless: Wireless N PCI Express card

Price: 2,484$

Good or bad build?

2. Pyrmon

Member Pyrmon Burnin' Monkey Love

Canada
    I assume it's for gaming?

3. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    CPU looks overblown, modern games are GPU-limited.

4. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Throw in some Tesla cards and start a home-made Space Program.

5. Anj

Newcomer Anj Advanced Member

Canada
    I suggest 1155 socket motherboard with i5 2500k, with 4 gb of ram since you won't really need that much unless you plan on running like 20 games at the same time.

Also get Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate from somewhere....

6. pgimps
    OP

United States
    I don't need ultimate, but I do need 64 bit, but im using the 8 Gb of RAM for a server and I don't like sandybridge if anything I'll wait for Ivybridge

7. Pyrmon

Member Pyrmon Burnin' Monkey Love

Canada
    For gaming the CPU is overkill. It's too powerful and is only a waste of cash. The 8GB of RAM seems like a little much. I got a server here that's running on 256MB. Granted, it's small and only a handful of people access it, but it's just to illustrate my point. Honestly, a gaming rig+home server shouldn't cost over 1500$. And that's insane already. I wouldn't spend anymore than 900-1000$ on a computer. And that would be an excellent machine that would do anything I ask of it. I would suggest you strongly reconsider what you really need the computer for and do some research so that you don't pay a fuckton of cash on a machine you'll never use half of it's capacity. But just what kind of hosting are you planning on doing with that server? And how much traffic do you think it'll get?

8. Fishaman P

Member Fishaman P Speedrunner

United States
    FAIL

For gaming, any 1st generation Core i3/5/7 is expensive and weak. That 990X is overshadowed by the $300 i7 2600K.

EDIT:
    HDD's: Get a 64GB SATAIII SSD instead of what you got, and instead of the 500GB WD Caviar Black, get this.
    Monitor: That better be at least 1920x1200, or that graphics card is WAY overkill, even for something like the upcoming DiRT 3.
    RAM: Stick with 8GB; for gaming turn off paging file, for server use Linux.
    Keyboard: I didn't bother checking it out, but you'll be sorry if it's not a special gaming keyboard that can send every keypress at the same time, or at least 4 or 5.

9. pgimps
    OP

United States
    I did manage to cut it down to 1,700 b/c im using a i7 -970, and a GTX460, I am still looking for a cheaper secondary HDD from newegg and I may not need the monitor at all, probably get a cheaper case too

10. Rydian

United States
    What's bottlenecked by any i7?

11. pgimps
    OP

United States
    Well the 2600K isn't supposed to a "gaming" CPU, and the motherboards don't have very much upgrading room in them, and I think ill use 6 GB, and I am going to use linux in a virtual box for my Java [​IMG] and the keyboard is supposedly a budget gaming keyboard? And for the SSD it's only going to hold the OS

12. I2aven's_Sag

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
    Just get the i7-2600k, They're both extremely powerful processors and will serve you well at a fraction of the cost of the i7-980/990X.

13. pgimps
    OP

United States
    some video cards can be but other than that nothing I don't think

14. pgimps
    OP

United States
    Yeah but the motherboards usually only have one PCI 2.0 x 16 and I may want to SLI later and the ones with multiple are expensive

15. Rydian

United States
    That's not how it works, a CPU won't bottleneck a video card like that in a modern game. Parts don't bottleneck each other like that, when you see people saying it they mean in relation to each other for a specific program.

For modern gaming, the CPU will not bottleneck the video card (assuming it's modern parts).

An earlier-line i7 will not be a limit.

16. FireEmblemGuy

Member FireEmblemGuy Finally hit 1000 posts

United States
    If you're not going to be doing something more intensive than gaming or a home server, a 6-core i7 processor is overkill. If you insist on a 9xx i7, you don't need anything more than the 960 - same stock clock speed as the 970 and overclocks easy. It'll handle whatever game you throw at it and cut your processor cost by half.

17. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    I really don't want to get into this argument because of the large disparity between what the OP wants and what he needs, but I will give advice on the RAM and HDD (which seem neglected in this thread).

RAM: if you're going to use a Core i7, get triple channel RAM, not double. You mentioned deciding to get 6GB RAM instead of 8, but make sure you get them in a kit of 3 and not 2 (like in your original build).

HDD: performance wise, the velociraptor and caviar black series are the best HDDs, although they have an increased price as a result of it. Caviar blue or Samsung Spinpoint F3 are much better value, and still have very high performance. In CustomPC magazine, they've listed the Spinpoint F3 (and the F1 before that) as their favourite HDD since it first came out, due to the fact that it has good performance and is still very cheap. In comparison, Hitachi HDDs are a lil more expensive, have a lil less performance, and Hitachi got bought out by WD so I don't know how long the warranty will be worth anything.
    EDIT: and to add, performance in a secondary HDD means very little at all. Games will never notice the difference (at least as far as loading times go). It's only the OS that needs to care about performance.

SSD... Make sure it's big enough for the OS. My Windows folder is around 42GB and the Program Files (without steam) is another 6GB. Take that into account before you pick your SSD. There's no point in you picking a Sandforce 2000 controlled SSD which have superior performance, because only Sandy Brodge motherboards don't have the 5Gbs limit imposed by the PCIe lane taken by the SATA III controller.

As for the rest....... Pick what you want. From the sound of it, you'll still only use a third of it's potential.