Golden Sun

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by macgeek417, Aug 16, 2010.

Aug 16, 2010

Golden Sun by macgeek417 at 7:41 PM (1,880 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. macgeek417
    OP

Member macgeek417 妁眼のシャナ

United States
    Since all the GBA games I tried on my DSTWO seemed to work fine with a frameskip of '2', I wondered if it was just some games, like Golden Sun, that were laggy or something, so I tested it on my DSTWO. With the game_config.txt file, and the CPU speed set to the max, it only lags on the world map and a tiny bit in battles, but the frameskip usualy stays around '2', like all the other GBA games I have tried.

I assume people complaining about Golden Sun being slow don't have the game_config.txt and/or don't have the CPU speed set to the max (4)?

[​IMG]

2. campbell00

Member campbell00 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I think that others are complaining (i.e. me) that the emulator needs frameskip to begin with. Some can handle frameskip, others can't, like me.

3. jakeyjake

Member jakeyjake GBAtemp Regular

United States

I thought frameskip was in the emulator? ....

4. coattails

Member coattails GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    He's referring to frameskip tolerance...

5. macgeek417
    OP

Member macgeek417 妁眼のシャナ

United States
    A frameskip of 2 or less isn't bad.

6. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    The thing is frameskip is definitely a form of lag, or an attempt to mask it. You're essentially cutting 50-75% of the frames of animation out. The end result is an extremely choppy motion when you move around. 2 isn't too bad though. But for people like myself, frameskipping can actually be disorienting. When using PC emulators, i value smoothness over resolution. Same goes for video. Low framerates actually can make me dizzy or nauseous. Especially in fast moving scenes. Frameskip of 2 should be somewhat tolerable though, at least in a slow paced RPG like GS.

I remember hearing about the GS games on the iPlayer though. iPlayer shares similar hardware. I think the first game was somewhat playable on it, it may only be the sequel, Lost Age, that has serious speed issues (it a far more stressful game on emulators, even PC emulators). Try it and see what kind of performance you get. I'm willing to bet it'll be a ton slower.

7. campbell00

Member campbell00 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Personally, a frameskip of 1 is all I can take. I'm somewhat of a perfectionist, and can't force myself to ignore it. I get this nagging sensation, reminding me that I could be playing a better version of the game.

8. Raynar

Member Raynar GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I don't mind the frame-skip cause I don't really notice it in some GBA games. In fact golden sun is were I've notice issues. But I can deal with it, did doesn't really effect my gameplay. Besides that I have PSP that can play GBA fine if it annoys me. But rather use my DSi.

9. macgeek417
    OP

Member macgeek417 妁眼のシャナ

United States
    I played Golden Sun 2 for a while, and with the game_config.txt file it runs just as good as the first one - In fact, the world map runs BETTER on the second one - the sound isnt as glitchy, though the world map uses a lot of frameskip.

10. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    If that's the case, then the DSTWO GBA emulator must be better than the iPlayer's. Doesn't make much sense how TLA would work better though. It's slower on PC emulators than the first, and more stressful overall.

This is how the games worked on iPlayer- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIsCHMhx724

11. macgeek417
    OP

Member macgeek417 妁眼のシャナ

United States
    It's not that TLA runs *better*, but it runs more consistantly - its not perfect in some parts and laggy as heck in others. Instead, it runs a little slow (but bearable) all of the time.

That video looks like the DSTWO's emulator if you don't reconfigure it at all. If you change the CPU speed to max and gave the game_config.txt file, it runs much better. Maybe I should try and make a video if it on the DSTWO, this laptop has a webcam... Though I doubt anything shot with a webcam running at 2fps would leave a very good impression...