Hacking Question Going up from 3.0

darkflame808

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question for the knowledgeable gurus. I got my sx pro and am running sx os 1.2. I am going to be updating from 3.0 to possibly 3.1 or 4.1 depending on the games I decide to backup. I wanted to know if there are any guides or suggestions I should consider taking. I'm not familiar with burning fuses or backing up my emmc? So simply put, should i just not care and update normally or should i do it via sx os and backup? Better to ask the pros rather than regret it later. Thank you everyone. I'm a noob but I do have experience in modding back to Xbox days. I can follow a technical tutorial if you can recommend any. Thank you again everyone.

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well the way you should go is dependent on how you feel.

If you want to be able to downgrade back to 3.0 whenever you want, follow this guide-https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-install-run-any-switch-firmware-unofficially-without-burning-any-fuses.507461/

Please not that if you install 4.0 or above and then downgrade, you cant play any games from the card reader. This is because your card reader gets updated when installing 4.0 or above. So going to 3.0.1. To play Mario will be fine.

Bad news is, if you DO NOT WANT AUTORCM, this is not the guide for you. This would make your switch boot into RCM automatically and you would need something to boot cfw up and can no longer boot normally with the switch. So it your switch powers off while you are out and about and you dont have an android phone that supports OTG to send the payload via nxloader? Then your screwed until you get home.
-edit- I see you have a sx pro. This is what I get for skimming... you'd be fine. I used the guide and have 0 issues with autoRCM. Just make sure to boot briccmii up at the end of the guide to repair cust_data. This info is at the top of the guide but should be done after fake updating.

With the no burning fuses guide you can just get the update you want out of a game, or from xbins (just google xbins and you will see it. They store alot of console stuff)

The other option would to just update and burn your fuses. You will be on 5.1.0 then and you cant go back after updating via nintendo servers.

You can backup your emmc and boot0 and 1 with hekate. The link that I put above will have you do this anyways. If you dont want to follow the guide you could just boot RCM with a jig + Vol+ and send the hekate payload and just backup from there. If you update, you WILL burn fuses and you cant officially go back.

Again it's your preference, do you want possible coldboot earlier for 1.0.0-3.0.0? Do you want to be able to downgrade back whenever you would want too? Or do you just want to play latest games? Still avoid online though :)

Sorry for such a long response, I'm tired so if anything here is wrong, anyone please correct me. Time for bed.

Last edited by Lumince,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the reason most users are holding out on updating is because there are unreleased softmods that work up to 4.1. If anyone tells you that they are a myth, they have been discovered by the same guy who released the coldboot B9S for the 3DS that revolutionized the scene. Anyways, this softmod exploit is going to be used in the future to load the completed the CFW, Atmosphere, that's being developed by the same guy who made B9S. However, I don't know if someone will make a way for SX OS to be loaded this way. TX already has a way of booting SX OS via their dongle + jig or allows users to use their SX OS Loader with something that can send payloads and their own way of inducing RCM. If you want to break even, there are very simple (but reasonably long) tutorials that allow you to update to specific firmwares without burning your fuses so you can downgrade in the future. Something to note with this method is that you cannot play cartridges anymore on firmwares lower than 4 if you use to update it to 4.0 or higher. The last point I will bring up is that if you care about being banned, then you should not update until we have better protection methods as well as more discernible causes.

Guy above me already linked to the tutorial I refer to in my post so I won't beat a dead horse and post it myself.

Last edited by Draxzelex,

darkflame808

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you guys. I'll go ahead and backup the nands and preserve the fuses just in case. In the mean time I am contemplating a trinket mod just for the ease of not having a dongle. What would have been amazing is if TX designed a dongle that fit in the cartridge port like a game haha that would have been epic. Then just jig once and have autorcm. If you were in a pickle just eject the cartridge and plug it in the USB 3. Cartridge pins one side. USB 3 on the other. Epic!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Welp, already have 40h in Stellar Blade and dying to home and put some more.