OP
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
QPGz0Fv.jpg

Good Old Games, the DRM-free online game shop, has just announced that they now support Linux builds of various games! To start off, they're launching 50 titles with up to 75% off on Linux-build games. While Linux isn't necessarily built for gaming, it's a nice gesture for those who will be using Steam OS in the future.

A while ago, we've announced our plans to add Linux support as one of the features of our digital platform, with 100 games on the launch day sometime this fall. We've put much time and effort into this project and now we've found ourselves with over 50 titles, classic and new, prepared for distribution, site infrastructure ready, support team trained and standing by, and absolutely no reason to wait until October or November. We're still aiming to have at least 100 Linux games in the coming months, but we've decided not to delay the launch just for the sake of having a nice-looking number to show off to the press. It's not about them, after all, it's about you. So, one of the most popular site feature requests on our community wishlist is granted today: Linux support has officially arrived on GOG.com!

:arrow:Source

Reactions: DaVince and T-hug

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm.. A mixture of DOSBox games (plenty I already have), not-very-old indie games (most of why I have through Humble Bundle), and a few Windows games through Wine. Yep, the thought that counts...

Let's see if Valve's SteamOS is able to convince enough developers to go through and do the recompile for Linux (for all those games using MonoGame or Unity which could already be on Linux if the developer could just be convinced to recompile, test, and take the uptick in support questions even if it's unclear if revenue dollar-to-development/support dollar it's worth it).

PS - As silly as GNU/Linux sounds (given that GNU is for cloning Unix which only incidentally was about gaming), there probably should be a term to differentiate x86/x86_64 Desktop Linux vs ARM Android Linux vs ARM Raspberry PI Linux vs MIPS GCW0 Linux vs the hundred other places were there's Linux games. Look at the fiasco that is Windows RT.

DaVince

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Old Windows games are just fine with Wine, really. You're not going to get anything better than that for those games. (Same for DOSBox.) I'm just glad they're officially supported, ensuring they won't randomly break (as running your own Wine will occasionally do).

In any case, I'm happy and looking forward to seeing more games in my library turn Linux-compatible.

DaggerV

Archmagi of the Emerald Moon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm kind of looking at the hopeful long term, but it's linux, it'll be forever in limbo :)

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
This is great news. :)

Still...I can't deny that kuwanger has a good point of criticism: avid linux users probably already found a way to get these games to run on linux already. And 50 games is an impressive start, but the games themselves aren't exactly the top of the line-up, even for gog.com. This could be more testing the waters of seeing if they run into unforeseen issues on linux (even when just supporting ubuntu and mint, there may be things popping up they hadn't anticipated).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night