Gitorious Fights Back Sony

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Nujui, Feb 4, 2011.

Feb 4, 2011

Gitorious Fights Back Sony by Nujui at 3:26 AM (1,144 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. Nujui
    OP

Member Nujui I need something to do.

United States

Since Sony had Ps3devs take down there Githubs, they switch to Gitorious. Sony has also sent DMCA take down notices too them, but one problem is that U.S law doesn't apply, it's Norwegain law. This is what they had to say about it on there blog.

"In response to Sonys DMCA take down notices Gitorious today posted this on their blog:

Re: Demand for removal of claimed copyright infringing content from Gitorious.org

This is in reply to your notification of United States Copyright Law Violations at Listed URLs, dated February 1st 2011. As we confirmed via email yesterday, the content was taken down from gitorious.org yesterday at 3.18PM CET.

Your claim made reference to US law, which is not applicable in Norway. When removing the content from our server placed in Norway, we did so to avoid being in violation with Norwegian law, to the degree that Norwegian and US copyright law is compatible.

However, it is unreasonable, and in conflict with basic legal principles, to assume someone as guilty until proven innocent. Allowing any third party to demand the removal of content on gitorious.org based on unproven claims of copyright infringement would assume any gitorious.org user would need to prove his innoncence under Norwegian law. This is unacceptable to us.

Our Infringement Notice Policy (http://en.gitorious.org/infringement_policy/) requires any Infringement Notice to include:

- An identification of the intellectual property right claimed to have been infringed

Since your letter of yesterday contained no reference to Norwegian law we kindly ask that you prove that the content is in fact in violation of Norwegian law. We will not act on further Infringement Notices related to this content until SCEA provides a Norwegian court order that deems the content in question as being in violation of Norwegian law.

Gitorious wants to make it absolutely clear that we have no agenda relating to the repositories in question. Our initial response to this notice was motivated by the fact that Gitorious could possibly be held accountable for not responding should this content be deemed illegal (with reference to “Ehandelsloven” §18). We object deeply to any violation of the basic legal principle of being innocent until proven guilty. This is why we have passed the ball back to Sony.

We hope you understand that it is not in Gitorious’, or the majority of its users’, best interest to pick this fight. We don’t have the resources nor necessary domain knowledge to assess the legality of all of our projects, which is why we have terms of service that state that users carry this responsibility."
    [/p]
    Source

2. antwill

Member antwill Better Than You

Australia
    Because that worked so well for all those torrent sites... [​IMG]

3. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Torrent sites get taken down when it's proven they willingly give access to illegal content, knowing it's illegal.

That's not the case here, and US law does not apply to the rest of the world.

4. Oveneise

Member Oveneise GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Just reading about torrent sites makes me wonder how tpb has lasted all these years. Thank God for legal loopholes.

5. Rydian

United States
    What legal loopholes? They're located in another country. There's countries other than the US, and they have separate sets of laws they follow.

6. Oveneise

United States
    Ah, I guess thats true (but haven't you heard of the DMCA?) But in the case of legal loopholes, when they reply to people asking them how US citizens have access, they say the site doesn't host any content itself, but rather only the .torrent files which are only hashes. THATS what I meant by legal loopholes.

7. mercluke

Member mercluke ‮҉

Australia
    good on them for not just blindly complying with sony [​IMG]
    (well they did at first but that was just temporarily as a precautionary measure)
    and how dare sony expect them to give away private information of the site's users?

edit: just a link for those wondering what i was talking about in that third sentence
    Source

8. Rydian

United States
    That gets into things like jurisdiction and whether the UN can get involved because it involves copyright crap.

9. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Swedish Laws give the finger to take down notices.

10. jonesman99

Member jonesman99 GBAtemp's Official ArchAndroid

United States
    Even though Sony has the right to go after people if they feel threatened, at the same time they are taking it too far going around crying wolf everywhere. And at the same time, to the normal person or their partners, acting like everything is all good.

Whatever happens to Sony from now on, they REALLY deserve it. This company's legal actions disgust me. Nintendo isn't as bad as them, and they have been taking it up the ass for years now...

EDIT: Guess what? Its number 500 y'all! I know!!! (in my Bruce from Family Guy voice)

11. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    this was bound to happen ie when u cant fight them in your home ground, look for allies to fight them for you which in this case turns out to be cross border laws
    cant say i know law (as rayder interestingly does) but definitely every country has copyright laws in one form or another and in this case, after a few weeks i am pretty sure sony will find the true loophole in norwegian law... or they can just shift to irc or torrent

why dont rom sites shift to a server that allows for sharing such content without worries

12. Rydian

United States
    Cost I guess. ROM sites use a lot of bandwidth, whereas torrent sites only host the .torrent and metadata, which takes up many times less space and bandwidth than the actual content.

13. xist

Member xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

United Kingdom
    I spot a reply made of pure win....[​IMG]

14. Oveneise

United States
    Yeah, just look at the "legal threats" section! They need to get some more emails up there. And good job for Glitorious for not blindly stepping down.