Hacking Getting the notification to upgrade to 9.6

LiquidAudacity

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I recently acquired a n3ds console running 9.5.0-20. I promptly downgraded it to 9.2.0-20 using SafeSysUpdater and got a dump of the NAND. The notification to update to 9.6.0-20 showed up then but I didn't think much of it. Then the charging port on the console died and it happened to still be under warranty so I decided to send it off to Nintendo for repair, figuring that they would update it to the latest and not really minding at that point considering I have a valid 9.2 backup. A week passes and I get the console back and unfortunately they did update it. However, in the notification area I'm still getting that message about upgrading to 9.6.0-20. Does anyone know if this is a sign of a bad downgrade or if this could cause issues for me in the future? Thanks for the help.

Just3DS

Trophies
XP
Country
So, I recently acquired a n3ds console running 9.5.0-20. I promptly downgraded it to 9.2.0-20 using SafeSysUpdater and got a dump of the NAND. The notification to update to 9.6.0-20 showed up then but I didn't think much of it. Then the charging port on the console died and it happened to still be under warranty so I decided to send it off to Nintendo for repair, figuring that they would update it to the latest and not really minding at that point considering I have a valid 9.2 backup. A week passes and I get the console back and unfortunately they did update it. However, in the notification area I'm still getting that message about upgrading to 9.6.0-20. Does anyone know if this is a sign of a bad downgrade or if this could cause issues for me in the future? Thanks for the help.
Got any photo screenshot of the actual message you getting?
Probably what happened that it could have partially downloaded 9.6 firmware back then... well that's what I think.

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The a general message in the notification app you can just ignore it.

Just3DS

Trophies
XP
Country
The a general message in the notification app you can just ignore it.
Does it specifically tell you the version ut is going to update to?
Either way you can try removing the update nag (only possible for sysNAND) if you boot into recovery mode and cancelling the update (I guess you tried that already).

https://3dbrew.org/wiki/Recovery_Mode

Last edited by Just3DS,

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does it specifically tell you the version ut is going to update to?
Either way you can try removing the update nag (only possible for sysNAND) if you boot into recovery mode and cancelling the update.
No it's not a nag it shows up as a notification in the notification app it won't put you on 9.6 you will update to 10.5.0-30.

Reactions: Zidapi

Blue

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To not have the risk of them replacing the console, if you don't have the serial number. Instead when getting the hardmod and restoring your 9.2 backup, use the method to downgrade to 10.2 then 9.2 because if they replaced it and you use your backup it would brick, as backups as tied to the specific console.

Just3DS

Trophies
XP
Country
Nope it shows up on all 3ds's
But you saying they already updated the console but still says it needs to update???

EDIT: Ok I re-read it and you are talking about that notification message on top row of icons. No option to "opt of this notification" or something? I never happpened to have any such notification so I have no idea.

Last edited by Just3DS,

Just3DS

Trophies
XP
Country
You may have to reset the Home Menu data somehow (not possible from Data Management I think).
Notifications with i icon are Home Menu generated notifications either from SpotPass so there is no way you can opt out from them or delete them.

"Notifications from Nintendo contain important information for all users and cannot be opted out of."

Notifications itself is part of Home Menu title I think.

Last edited by Just3DS,

LiquidAudacity

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those of you that were looking for a picture of it. It is still probably nothing to worry over but I wanted to be safe.

IMG_20160220_205219.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.