timmeehh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi guys,

So, my Gateway is arriving in 3 days. I'm reading a lot of stuff around here, and now I have some questions left.

I will update my 3DS to 4.5 with a Luigi's Mansino 2 cardridge I have.

After that I will install the Gateway files and boot in Gateway mode.

What then? It is unclear for me if I have to update the emuNAND right now, or wait for an update from Gateway Team (since 7.0 is not supported yet)

So I have 3 concrete questions:

1. Should I update emuNAND or should I just wait?

2. If I wait, what impact does that have on games?
say I have following games:
- Super mario 3D Land
- Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance
- Mario Kart 7
- Zelda: A link between worlds
- Donkey Kong Country returns

Which can I and which can't I play if I don't update emuNAND?

3. Is it possible to update emuNAND only just once? so like if I update to 7.0 and it just is too buggy, can I go back to emuNAND software 4.5? or is this not possible?

I hope you understand my questions,

thanks in advance,

Tim

logon

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
1. Wait unless you have a retail copy of pokemon and want to play that
2. emunand makes no difference on any of the roms that have currently been released
3. Emunand is stored on the SD. This means you can update you emunand as many times as you want. You can also back it up.

EDIT: If I were you I would download the 1.2 Gateway firmware and wait for 2.0 because the current beta firmware is reasonably buggy. This does however mean you will not be able to play legend of zelda: A link between worlds

timmeehh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
1. Wait unless you have a retail copy of pokemon and want to play that
2. emunand makes no difference on any of the roms that have currently been released
3. Emunand is stored on the SD. This means you can update you emunand as many times as you want. You can also back it up.

Great!

So, emunand is only used for going to spoof to the lastest software version for playing retail versions of pokemon (exmaple) and going online/e-shop, is this right?

Thanks again!

higher87

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
1&2.if you just use the newest gateway without creating an emunand partition, it should be fine playing the games, so waiting is probably a better idea not that it is irreversable.
which leads to
3. as long as you properly install emunand, then it is on he sd, so if u delete the emunand on the card then u can go back to default non emunand version etc. i used the Win32DiskImager to create an image of my sd card before putting emunand on, and after putting emunand but before updating to newest firmware, and i also tested writing the non updated emunand image to the sd then it reverted to 4.5, so possible.

ofcourse you have to make sure you do the steps right, if you update you real nand by mistake, then you are stuck.

also as to what you use emunand for, i think people also say that to use home streetpass, u need emunand 6.3 , which is something you would kind of need for a game like braverly default.

logon

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Great!

So, emunand is only used for going to spoof to the lastest software version for playing retail versions of pokemon (exmaple) and going online/e-shop, is this right?

Thanks again!

eshop doesn't work in 7.0.0. The only use is for playing retail games. The only retail games that gateway doesn't support is pokemon x & y and animal crossing: new leaf

timmeehh

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
1&2.if you just use the newest gateway without creating an emunand partition, it should be fine playing the games, so waiting is probably a better idea not that it is irreversable.
which leads to
3. as long as you properly install emunand, then it is on he sd, so if u delete the emunand on the card then u can go back to default non emunand version etc. i used the Win32DiskImager to create an image of my sd card before putting emunand on, and after putting emunand but before updating to newest firmware, and i also tested writing the non updated emunand image to the sd then it reverted to 4.5, so possible.

ofcourse you have to make sure you do the steps right, if you update you real nand by mistake, then you are stuck.

Thanks!

And by saying: "just use the newest gateway" you mean the latest 2.0b1 firmware, right?

eshop doesn't work in 7.0.0. The only use is for playing retail games. The only retail games that gateway doesn't support is pokemon x & y and animal crossing: new leaf

Great, that is clear now! thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM