Getting SNES/NES stuff onto a Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by ropeadope, Aug 17, 2008.

Aug 17, 2008
  1. ropeadope
    OP

Newcomer ropeadope Member

United States
    Hey guys. I'm pretty new to running "homebrew" stuff on the wii. I was hoping to put a bunch of SNES/NES games on a disc (got the files for that already) and be able to play them on my Wii. Not really sure how exactly though. I do have the Wiikey installed, and gamecube controllers to play with though. It looks like they have made versions of the FCEU and SNES9X emulators specifically to boot on the wii, but it looks like they're made to run off an SD card, which I don't have. Was hoping to just to put in a CD and have them boot from there. What's the easiest way for me to do all that? Also want the two player option and graphic filters would be nice (I'm getting greedy, but the SuperEagle graphics filter really makes NES stuff look a lot better [​IMG] )

Thanks.

2. felix123

Member felix123 GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    The Wii can't read CDs.

3. Edgedancer

Member Edgedancer Director of Moon based operations

Australia
    Believe me when I say that getting a sd card will be the easiest way to do homebrew. Not sure in America but sd cards are dirt cheap here in australia so just gett one of them as they will also be able to hold more data than a CD.

4. Tichinde925

Member Tichinde925 Marth Ditto Money Match?

United States
    I'm not so sure on how long this sale will last:

Code:
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2253809
    2 GB SD Card!

5. ropeadope
    OP

United States
    CDs...DVDs...same thing [​IMG] - Nah I know the difference. I still call DVDs CDs all the time though. I got plenty of DVD-RWs lying around.

Emulation on the wii isn't possible without an SD card? I can play backup gamecube games on my Wii just fine.

6. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    if you use an older gamecube-mode snes emulator, you can run it from disc.
    but the newer (and better) wii-mode emulators run from SD-card.

7. ropeadope
    OP

United States
    Are they just better because of the Wiimote integration or do they have other advantages as well?

I'll probably end up trying to run emulators made to run on Gamecube if I can just play them off a disc. I'm broke as a joke and if I don't need the SD card then I won't get one.

Was thinking about trying out this trifecta here:
    http://gcemu.dcemu.co.uk/all-in-1-emuloade...sed-106628.html
    http://gcemu.dcemu.co.uk/fceu-r14-beta-new...wii-119564.html
    http://gcemu.dcemu.co.uk/snes9x-beta-versi...wii-117779.html

Will try it out later.

8. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    get the last snes9x 1.5 version from michiewski (or something like that), it should also comes with a gamecube compatible mode version which let you load roms from DVD if you have a modchip

the only bonus of the wii versions are wiimote support, front sdcard support and a faster CPU for emulating cpu-intensive games.

you can also take the last fceu for gamecube version since no improvment were made since at least one year, the only stuff being added were again wiimote and wii sdcard support

the emuloader can be useful if you make a gamecube bootable dvd, follow the instructions and you can easily have a full 4.7GB disc with emulators and roms... again, only work in gamecube mode so no wiimote support and saves are only on memory card or sdcard via sd-gekko

9. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    yeah, the faster CPU support is the biggest advantage of the wii-mode emulators. Some games really need that extra power. The Donkey Kong Country games for example, and Yoshi's Island.
    But for most other games, the gamecube-mode will work just fine. That's how I've been playing emulated games before the whole wii-homebrew stuff started.
    But SD-cards really aren't that expensive anymore. Here a 2GB card will cost about 10 euro's. Local prices for you in dollars should be about the same I guess.

10. ropeadope
    OP

United States
    Thanks for all the replies, folks. I've decided it's too risky to take my Wii on vacation so I think I'm going to take my dreamcast and load that up with emulation instead...I assume that's possible. Dreamcast is pretty old now but does anyone know what the good emulators are for Dreamcast? I'm hoping there's a NES and SNES emulator that runs on the DC.

11. IceRentoraa29

Member IceRentoraa29 Don't get in between a kid and his ice cream cone.

United States
    DreamSNES for SNES (just don't go running Yoshi's Island or Kirby SuperStar on it, it's mad slow [​IMG] ) and NesterDC SE for NES are the best Dreamcast emulators you can get. If you need anymore, just go to DCEmulation.org to find them.