Getting back into Pokemon

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
An interesting topic, I bought Emerald + LeafGreen a while back and have Platinum and Black waiting for play. Also played old gen pokemon (Blue/Yellow/Silver with GB) and SS/D on DS. I could possibly recommend HGSS for nostalgia, but otherwise Emerald/BW. The latter because they are/were the peak of their generation..

-Qtis

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can really start with any. The remakes are a good place since you don't really have any reason to play the originals, well, unless you're into retro games or want to play them for nostalgia (I'm doubting the latter). That said, the originals are by no means bad (they're pretty amazing in my eyes), but if you want to play them you should play Yellow and Crystal.

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'd say Emerald. God I love you 3rd gen...expecially you Emerald *Squee*

Why not FR/LG...well...Kanto, and feel free to argue this with me in a friendly and non-agressive manner, was kind of Meh. The only think I enjoyed about FR/LG was the Music, expecially the Champions Theme.

Emerald has the Battle Frontier, and just a warning on that...the CPU takes Hax to a whole new "unhealthy for you" level there. I'm lucky I got all of my Gold Frontier symbols, I think my last words were "Nevar again!"

Emerald also has both Groudon and Kyogre available, and Rayquaza makes an awesome signature legendary.

Emerald lacks some Pokemon found in both R/S, but to be honest, some of them weren't that useful anyway. You also get to pick which Lati twin you encounter after the E4. The roamers IV's have been fixed too so they don't have always crap IV spreads. All of the Legendary Beasts in FR/LG btw, will always have crap IV's because the RNG is bugged for them and it drops all but a certain number of bytes, and IIRC that means it only generates the HP, Attack, and Defense.

Emerald also has a different Champion than R/S. Wallace who was the Sootoplois City Gym Leader is now the Hoenn Champion and Steven Stone's still around...somewhere. I personally don't like Wallace as a champion, his team is far to easy for me to beat, granted I overlevel before anything like this anyway.

Also, secret bases. These better return if we get a R/S/E remake on the 3DS.

If you really want Kanto, I'd say wait until you get another DS and get HeartGold or SoulSilver. You'll get both Johto and Kanto.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nimbus said:
I'd say Emerald.

Why not FR/LG...well...Kanto, and feel free to argue this with me in a friendly and non-agressive manner, was kind of Meh. The only think I enjoyed about FR/LG was the Music, expecially the Champions Theme.

Emerald has the Battle Frontier, and just a warning on that...the CPU takes Hax to a whole new "unhealthy for you" level there. I'm lucky I got all of my Gold Frontier symbols, I think my last words were "Nevar again!"

Emerald also has both Groudon and Kyogre available, and Rayquaza makes an awesome signature legendary.

Emerald lacks some Pokemon found in both R/S, but to be honest, some of them weren't that useful anyway. You also get to pick which Lati twin you encounter after the E4. The roamers IV's have been fixed too so they don't have always crap IV spreads. All of the Legendary Beasts in FR/LG btw, will always have crap IV's because the RNG is bugged for them and it drops all but a certain number of bytes, and IIRC that means it only generates the HP, Attack, and Defense.

Emerald also has a different Champion than R/S. Wallace who was the Sootoplois City Gym Leader is now the Hoenn Champion and Steven Stone's still around...somewhere. I personally don't like Wallace as a champion, his team is far to easy for me to beat, granted I overlevel before anything like this anyway.

If you really want Kanto, I'd say wait until you get another DS and get HeartGold or SoulSilver. You'll get both Johto and Kanto.
But he won't get Giovanni or the original adventure.

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
machomuu said:
Nimbus said:
I'd say Emerald.

Yes he will, if he waits till he gets a new DS, downloads that Event or loads it via Pokesav or whatever, he'll get to fight Giovan....oops...

I've said too much now...

The original adventure is bland and overrated if you ask me. Feel free to again argue this ala gentlemanly style with me. Kanto is too damn Linear as well, at least Hoenn makes you backtrack or deviate from the path once in awhile. Sure you absolutely need an HM slave in Hoenn, but it's totally worth it for the adventure.

Hell, I didn't even start off in Gen 1 myself. I actually started in Gen 2 with my Silver Version. Loved it, and I was shocked when I got to Kanto "I was like...wtf...there's another region!? Awesome!" I bought Blue version a few months later, and to be honest, it seemed very very bland, linear, and lackluster. The only thing that I loved was Persians Ungodly Critical Hit Rate, Slash's High Critical Hit Rate+Speed Determining Crits+No 510 EV Cap in Gen 1-2+Persians remarkable speed+Lack of Ghost types to block said attacks=A scene which I will never forget...ever get 10-15 crits in a row!? It's pretty damn boss.

But yes, against all these others, I say go with Emerald. Thanks to contests and the secret bases, it has a decent amount of replay value.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nimbus said:
machomuu said:
Nimbus said:
I'd say Emerald.

Yes he will, if he waits till he gets a new DS, downloads that Event or loads it via Pokesav or whatever, he'll get to fight Giovan....oops...

I've said too much now...

The original adventure is bland and overrated if you ask me. Feel free to again argue this ala gentlemanly style with me. Kanto is too damn Linear as well, at least Hoenn makes you backtrack or deviate from the path once in awhile. Sure you absolutely need an HM slave in Hoenn, but it's totally worth it for the adventure.

Hell, I didn't even start off in Gen 1 myself. I actually started in Gen 2 with my Silver Version. Loved it, and I was shocked when I got to Kanto "I was like...wtf...there's another region!? Awesome!" I bought Blue version a few months later, and to be honest, it seemed very very bland, linear, and lackluster. The only thing that I loved was Persians Ungodly Critical Hit Rate, Slash's High Critical Hit Rate+Speed Determining Crits+No 510 EV Cap in Gen 1-2+Persians remarkable speed+Lack of Ghost types to block said attacks=A scene which I will never forget...ever get 10-15 crits in a row!? It's pretty damn boss.

But yes, against all these others, I say go with Emerald. Thanks to contests and the secret bases, it has a decent amount of replay value.
I don't really want to argue, but I don't remember it being linear (And I've played it quite a few times). I'd say BW was more linear than it was, and so was DPP. Johto had the same level of linearity, and Hoenn...I don't really know.

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Guild McCommunist said:
DarkStriker said:
Lol, you havent seen me yet then.

We've seen your taste in games, that's more than enough.
Thats alright.. I know how you feel being left out of this pokemon craze
rolleyes.gif

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
1. Buy all Pokémon games.
2. Proceed to play said Pokémon games in order.
3. ???
4. Profit.
now there's something to do i tell you hwat

Or you could buy one pokemon game and play it over and over about 20 times.
Same thing, really.

Reactions: 1 person

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
1. Buy all Pokémon games.
2. Proceed to play said Pokémon games in order.
3. ???
4. Profit.
now there's something to do i tell you hwat

Or you could buy one pokemon game and play it over and over about 20 times.
Same thing, really.

Word. Every single time I see Pokemon from Generations other than 1 and 50% of the 2nd one, I'm getting the "Oh my god, who the hell drew that and what for?" itches. I have no idea why they keep re-animating these games just by adding new Pokemon, how's about ditching the ridiculous top-down view and making a TPP game that doesn't look like a*s? It's the 21st century y'know. I'm no graphics whore, I enjoy a retro game here and there, but when I get served c*ap that looks like it was programmed 6-7 years ago, I start to feel... uncomfortable,

ShadeTH

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I acctually have known about pokèmon since well...
who knows when!
Its been so long since I last collected pokèmon cards!
I used to think it was really nerdy!
I always saw ppl playing with pkmn cards and I thought who the ※〒♭♪ would play with that →←↑↓ any more!? that ∞£∴… is ancient! but now I know how awsome it is!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it