Hacking Get SSBB(J) To work on almost all Modchips

grumpy1377

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all,

Just got SSB:B and i burnt 2 copies, 1 patched with brickblocker and 1 left alone. Turned on the region overider in the 1.3 setup and inserted the unpatched disc and let the wii update till 15% (till the bar reached 'w' under 'power') then unplugged it.

When i try to play the game, the wii menu screen loads the game, but then 2 seconds later, the error comes out "Error #001. unauthorized device has been detected". Futhermore, in spite of desperation, i let the update complete 100%, so now i have dupe channels, and i still have the same error: "Error #001. unauthorized device has been detected

I googled the problem and it seems that i need to update the wiikey firmware to 1.9g, the thing is... its already at 1.9g, ive been playing Super Mario Galaxy on and off for the past month or so.

Anyways, any help would be appreciated immensely, thank you.

Specs:
Wii: 3.1E
Wiikey: 1.9g

EDIT:Â would i have the same error with the DVD9 copy as well? im in the process of downloading it now, ill keep it updated!

Did you use DVD - R or +R?

DVD - R seems to give error 001....

hm, just finished burning with the DVD9 rls and it works well with a DVD+R DL disc, thanks for the help!
rofl2.gif
rofl2.gif

matthiasc

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Posting for another confirmation that Brawl works great on PAL 3.1E with Wiikey, burnt on a standard Verbatim DVD+DL, ignoring the two additional channels I got.

However, I previously read that I would need to be playing at 50hz, but that is FALSE. Currently happily playing with 480p!

enriqueiglesias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
NOTE FOR A SPECIAL CASE: please, note that one some modern chips like argon, d2ckey, some of the cables used in the installation are not needed for normal operation but they ARE for automatic multi-region support. If you have one of those chips and have NEVER played foreign games (and thus never tested the autoregion capabilities), they may be disabled due to one of these optional cables "becoming loose". In this case, you would need to run regionfrii first (set the .iso to YOUR region), or indeed the game won't work because you THOUGHT your chip had multiregion but you never tested it and it's actually non-functional if some of the optional cables are loose. Wiikey's are shiped with autoregion set to off by default. If you've never turned it off, you also need to run regionfrii in your iso prior to burning it. Running regionfrii never "hurts", so when in doubt, just use it.

Remember the requirements to run this game:
-You should have 1.9g firmware on the wiikey if that's your chip.
-You may need to use regionfree in non-japanese wii's if your chip has autoregion desactivated.
-Your wii MUST be at the 3.1 firmware revision before you try this game.
-You MUST let the update in the disc run, even if only til 15% (

tampikenio

Trophies
XP
Country
Ghana
Hello there! I recently downloaded brawl caravan's version. I made 2 copies one normal and one with regionfree, the thing is when i insert brawl in my Wii i download 100% of the update, brawl loads "ok" (from the wii screen), when i select it i have this error:
"An error has occurred.
Pres the eject button, remove the game disc, and turn the power off.
Please read the wii operations manial por more information"

I burned it in a memorex DL disc, my modchip is Cyclowiz version 3.6b.
Thanks in advance!

katsuce

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
the uncompressed iso I have is 7.92 go, is that ok?

edit: first burn try, memorex +R DL, IMGburn, failure @ 13%

gonna try Clonedvd2 now

edit2: holy crap, it's too long, 98%... I'm not optimistic though... and I still don't get why imgburn failed... Could it have some problems with vista?

edit3: did the 15% trick, gave nothing good with the DVD9, so did the full update, disc keeps clicking loudly, and finally the wii gives a message about ejecting the disc and turning the system off. tried swaping the DVD5 with DVD9, gave nothing, I could navigate through the menus without music after the swap, but an error screen telling me the same thing the previous one said (but in japanese) popped up.

gonna try burning with imgburn on another laptop, running on xp

Osiris

Trophies
XP
Country
I was getting: 'An error has occurred. Press the eject button and remove the disk' etc

However this error disappeared when I opened the Wii up and ran it without the cover on, and with the dvd drive unscrewed from the main body of the wii..
Screws too tight perhap??

Now I just get Error #001, unauthorised device. *sigh*

(PAL Wii 3.1E, Cyclowiz 3.6B)

enriqueiglesias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well, it seems that the reports of the DVD9 dual layer dump of the game, although it's confirmed to work as indicated w/o any problems (some people have even completed the game ... they must have been playing 24h non-stop !!!) it's only been truly fully verified in wiikeys 1.9g. On cyclowiz it seems to be fine to.

But, unlike previsouly reported (sorry), most people with solid arguments agree that it DOES NOT work properly on DC2Key. So until further proof, this and some other chips, like the wiinjas, may be giving problems on their own and maybe this game, on it's complete dual-layer form, can not be run without problems or tricks (or at all).

Of course, the partial DVD5 burn of the first layer works as any other single layer disc, but it will freeze/stop when on parts of the game where data from the second layer is needed. Some people have booted with this disc and then swapped with the dvd9 and thus "though" it worked fine (some even swear it does, so I don't know for sure), but I have the feeling it's still only partially reading it.

Regardless, even if this "swap" trick works for them, it is still to be considered a problem with the chip, as it doesn't happen on other chips (wiikey and cyclowiz) where it works 100% without tricks or the dvd5 version at all.

If you got this game to work 100% w/o tricks or problems on a d2ckey modchip, please report it here.

DaxIta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm having a very strange problem. I was trying to get working the DVD9 version with the swapping since I haven't used the brickblocker at that time.
Today I put the DVD5 version of Brawl, and it asked me to update.
At 15% I pressed the button to make the cd go out.
I then put the DVD5 BrickBlocker version of Brawl and... WTF? It asked me to update AGAIN. With the BrickBlocker version! I tried again like 5 times and it's still the same.
Any clue?
Now i'm burning a DVD9 version brickblocked btw...

katsuce

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
update after my post this morning:

used an old burner on a 2004 toshiba laptop: it's working flawlessly, only got one error once (please eject the dvd and check the wii manual), but that's it.

RyuKakashi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to put it out there that swap most likely does NOT work on openwii.

I'm on a stripped down version of openwii made to fit on a 12f629 chip, with SMG fix and no region patching.
DVD5 worked fine.
DVD9 i've burned verbatim 2.4x (dvd+r made in india unfortunately) region frii'd (i hear this causes problems?)
as well as Fujifilm 2.4x
IMGburn was my tool.
My burner is a pioneer 111d, or at least it was flashed to be, and works fantastic for 360 games.
After swapping, the verbatim seems to read a little and i can move around in the menus for a few seconds without music, and then i get the green screen. The fuji instantly gives the green screen back.

I looked on the openwii forums and there hasn't been much activity as of late, so I'll just assume that openwii does not support dual layer, and if it does, it does not work for SSBB.

IceBear

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Error #001, unauthorized device

using PAL Wii 3.1E with WiiKey 1.9g, did run the update completely (means: duplicate channels)
burned the DVD9 on a DVD+R DL with 2.4x from imation (tool was Nero)
data verification was successful aswell

I'll try updating my WiiKey again, although I doubt it'll help.
I can not confirm that the error doesn't come on DVD+R's.

// edit:

updating to 1.9g again did not help.

jergens

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have the DL and did the full update, I can no longer connect to the internet via shop or internet channel! I can connect through system settings to try and do a firmware update but that's it.

Can someone else try and see if they can still access those channels properly?

zxzxlch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiKey 1.9G. NTSC-U.

Burned one DVD5 with TDK 1-16x, one DVD9 with Verbatim 8x (made in Singapore) unbricked with BrickBlocker 1.3R2.

Updated to 15% with the DVD5 (it failed automatically) and then inserted the DVD9.

SUCCESS!!
laugh.gif

enriqueiglesias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Error #001, unauthorized device

using PAL Wii 3.1E with WiiKey 1.9g, did run the update completely (means: duplicate channels)
burned the DVD9 on a DVD+R DL with 2.4x from imation (tool was Nero)
data verification was successful aswell

I'll try updating my WiiKey again, although I doubt it'll help.
I can not confirm that the error doesn't come on DVD+R's.

// edit:

updating to 1.9g again did not help.

Imations are known to be particularly bad for this purpose. The #001 error now doesn't occur exclusively having to do with the "galaxy type 'protection'". It also happens with a 1.9g wiikey that finds a DL burnt disc that it can't understand right. Get a different brand of media and try again. Also, see if you can upgrade to the lastest Nero (or use the free imgburn software). If it still doesn't work, try on a different burner. Doing this, you have a 99% chance of succeding.

IceBear

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Imations are known to be particularly bad for this purpose. The #001 error now doesn't occur exclusively having to do with the "galaxy type 'protection'". It also happens with a 1.9g wiikey that finds a DL burnt disc that it can't understand right. Get a different brand of media and try again. Also, see if you can upgrade to the lastest Nero (or use the free imgburn software). If it still doesn't work, try on a different burner. Doing this, you have a 99% chance of succeding.

Thanks, I already thought that it's because of a bad burn or something. Problem is, I had like 3 DL discs in total, 2 were from TDK and one from imation. My burner screwed up the two TDK's, it somehow has problems with DL although it should just burn em fine. So I burned the imation one with Nero on another computer. The first two tries were with ImgBurn.
I'll try to get some Verbatim DLs during the next days and see if I can get it to work. Thanks for the hint.

enriqueiglesias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France

Thanks, I already thought that it's because of a bad burn or something. Problem is, I had like 3 DL discs in total, 2 were from TDK and one from imation. My burner screwed up the two TDK's, it somehow has problems with DL although it should just burn em fine. So I burned the imation one with Nero on another computer. The first two tries were with ImgBurn.
I'll try to get some Verbatim DLs during the next days and see if I can get it to work. Thanks for the hint.

Yeah, imgburn doesn't work right on some burners (I know ... I have one where it alwyas gives errors). Anyway, a new version of imgburn just came out if you wanna try it. I mostly use nero 8, except for certain tasks, where I use clonecd or imgburn.

phantoccine

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do I need to have 1.9g installed, or is 1.9g beta good enough? I've heard of a lot of problems with 1.9g, I don't want to risk it if I can avoid it. thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: hey sylv? do you know why gameyob crashes on the EZP?