Homebrew GenPlusGX w/ SMB Support

Ergo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I noticed this while poking around the code.google.com page for GenPlusGX and thought some of the folks here might be interested:

Code:
http://code.google.com/p/genplus-gx/issues/detail?id=82

Here's a direct link to the mod (by auntieNeo, based on ekeeke's work, from the above-linked thread, w/ updated SMB icon from reydarz) that allows SMB:

Code:
http://genplus-gx.googlecode.com/issues/attachment?aid=820034000&name=genplus_wii.dol&token=237fda32e0b0aee84a2f69510f5f7109

I've been using it for a a week or two now, and it seems to work great with no perceptible loss in speed.

Edit: updated .dol w/ latest version.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
SMB is the protocol windows computers use to share folders and printers over the network.
If you share a folder in windows, A wii program with smb support should be able to access it's contents.

StupidGamer1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So let me get this right. Is it possible to access my roms on the computer rather then a SD card? If so I would save so much space! unless what I am saying isn't what it does...

Ergo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What obcd said: basically it just lets you access Genesis ROMs on a network drive, rather than storing them on an SD card or HDD, which makes it more convenient for those of us that centralize such things on a network drive.

Edit:

StupidGamer1 said:
So let me get this right. Is it possible to access my roms on the computer rather then a SD card? If so I would save so much space! unless what I am saying isn't what it does...

Yes, it makes it possible to access ROMs directly from your computer's HDD and/or a NAS, and eliminates the need to shuttle them over to SD card or external HDD manually.

StupidGamer1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ergo said:
What obcd said: basically it just lets you access Genesis ROMs on a network drive, rather than storing them on an SD card or HDD, which makes it more convenient for those of us that centralize such things on a network drive.

Edit:

StupidGamer1 said:

Yes, it makes it possible to access ROMs directly from your computer's HDD and/or a NAS, and eliminates the need to shuttle them over to SD card or external HDD manually.

wow that sounds awesome! What do I need to do to run SMB correctly? I'll try hard not be a questioning noob but since I have little experience with this sort of thing I'm quite enticed by the idea.

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
StupidGamer1 said:
wow that sounds awesome! What do I need to do to run SMB correctly? I'll try hard not be a questioning noob but since I have little experience with this sort of thing I'm quite enticed by the idea.

In windows right click on a folder. choose properties then share...

StupidGamer1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Magsor said:
StupidGamer1 said:

In windows right click on a folder. choose properties then share...

Thanks so much! I'm going give it a try, This will save me the SD card space needed for other things.

EDIT : IT WORKS!, THANK YOU!

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
Hadn't noticed this until today. Very good
smile.gif

I love SMB so I can edit things easily without moving consoles or USB Hdds or sd cards, space saving is a bonus but roms and saves aint that big.

It's really handy for keeping regular backups too so you never lose saves.

But best of all is the fact it offers more choices without taking anything away
wink.gif

So what systems now support SMB ?

NES - YES
SNES - YES
GB/GBC/GBA - YES
N64 - NO ?
MEGADRIVE/GENESIS - YES
MASTERSYSYEM / GAMEGEAR - YES ?
TurboGFX - YES

NEOGEO - NO
PS1 - NO

Ergo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
N64 does not.

Which one of the TG16 emus support SMB?

And, yeah, I think you can run SMS games from SMB on this version of GenPlusGX but *not* GameGear.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
This version with SMB support is based on older version, so no SMS support.
Version of SMSPLUS available on the googlecode page has SMB support though.

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ergo said:
N64 does not.

Which one of the TG16 emus support SMB?

And, yeah, I think you can run SMS games from SMB on this version of GenPlusGX but *not* GameGear.

not yet anyway
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F