Hardware Genki ShadowCast - use your notebook as a screen for the Switch

  • Thread starter Thread starter lordelan
  • Start date Start date
  • Views Views 2,442
  • Replies Replies 2
  • Likes Likes 2

lordelan

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2015
Messages
6,603
Reaction score
4,458
Trophies
2
Age
46
XP
8,583
Country
Germany
Many of you may know the great Genki Covert Dock which is essential a Switch docking station but only by 1/20 of its size and with no need for a power cable since it plugs into the wall directly.

While it sucks that the Genki Covert Dock isn't compatible with XCI mounting from USB, it's a great gadget nonetheless.
However, the team behind it (also known for their bluetooth audio adapter) did it again and made something become real what I always wanted:

Using the screen of a notebook/MacBook as a bigger size screen to play in tabletop mode if there's no TV around (especially in trains or planes):

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/humanthings/genki-shadowcast

796c662a0966baf3a4991f60517cea6f_original.jpg


It also allows screen recording.

I'm hyped as I kind of trust them for what they did with their dock adapter so I backed that project in an instant.
 
So this is essentially nothing more than a small HDMI capture card with some fancy software. You can get those for like 15-20$ of Amazon or AliExpress. Their custom dock seems nice tho.
 
Last edited by tobimori,
So this is essentially nothing more than a small HDMI capture card with some fancy software. You can get those for like 15-20$ of Amazon or AliExpress. Their custom dock seems nice tho.

But their claim is that their software has less latency than OBS. They also say thay their capture card works with OBS so I wonder if there is the same amount of delay as the cheap capture cards.
 

Site & Scene News