Genetically modified foods - your opinion

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by leafeon34, May 9, 2015.

1. leafeon34
    OP

leafeon34 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 30, 2014
    Now I know this question seems quite out of place on a gaming forum, but with lots of young and educated people here to me it seems the right place to ask.

First of all please don't flame. We're all allowed to believe whatever we want to believe. Keep the discussion based on logic rather than ego's.

Here's the way I see it.

On one extreme we have the green groups they say GMO's are a deadly poison and we're all fucked. I've heard them use cases of livestock deaths following consumption of GMO's and anecdotes (a questionable source of evidence) as evidence, but they also use scare tactics and fear turns off the brain's ability to think logically.

On the other extreme we have Monsanto saying its perfectly safe and they have plenty of scientific evidence to back up their claims. But given the mountains of money they make they have an incentive to lie to us and they have both the best scientists and lawyers you can find. To quote Twelve Angry Men "facts can be coloured by those who represent them."

So I see logical reasons to be sceptical of both sides.

And if posting something like this requires a legal disclaimer of some kind here it is.

This thread and the information contained within is strictly opinion only and is not intended to replace professional medical advice. Under no circumstances will I be responsible for any damages caused either directly or indirectly relating to any of the content contained within this thread. The information contained in this thread has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any illness.

migles likes this.

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Humans have genetically modified creatures and plants for thousands of years (carrots are actually purple in the wild, cows did not exist until we got rid of the aurochs and dogs started out as the rather more unreliable to live with creatures known as wolves) so assuming you mean the more modern take where genes are placed with a far more directed nature then I am all for efficiency and accuracy. There could be downsides but as far as I can see the downsides would be with a specific implementation and that can happen for anything -- the CIA was too busy selling crack to the inner cities of America to also cause antibiotic resistant bacteria to happen.

Charitably speaking Monsanto are a bunch of cunts and I hope something unpleasant happens to those responsible for the direction they have taken (no seed reharvesting very much rubs me the wrong way). Not a good reason to dismiss an entire technique though.

Psionic Roshambo and migles like this.
  3. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    didn't need the disclaimer, (but it is great to warn about not starting a flamewar and about respect others opinions)
    this is a normal gaming forum. and this is like a bunch of friends freely talking, there is no need to make such serious disclaimer like if this was taking to court or something

as for my opinion.. both sides are black and white.. one site got the power to do whatever it wants. the other side scares and uses fear..
    but both make up stuff to force their opinion...

personally i think selective breding and genetic modifications, just makes everything more binary...
    i don't really believe there are NO side effects with gmos
    and don't let people have the seeds for harvest is the same DRM bullshit we got on games.. it should be my right to plant the seeds and whatever i want..

4. Blaze163

Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

Nov 19, 2008
    Coventry, UK
    I don't see the problem. We already selectively breed everything we come into contact with, including ourselves, so to be honest GM just seems to be cutting out the middle man. Surely the whole point of technology is to cut out the middle man to make our lives easier so we can progress further and achieve more. I've seen nothing that makes me think that GM is anything other than advanced technology. I see a lot of people in these debates talk about how it's a crime against nature. I would argue that it's actually directly in line with our nature. And I'll avoid commenting on how I often hear people say it's 'God's right to choose' or whatever, I suspect I won't be able to state my opinion on the matter without it starting a flame war :(

5. skebeman

skebeman Member

Newcomer
    May 5, 2009
    Cyprus
    GMO's are good and are also bad. as i see it right now the only use for gmo's is for companies to make more money by selling their trademarked seeds. as "fast6191" said humans have been modifying animals and plants for thousands of years. but not in a lab and not using for example dna from a bacterium with dna from corn.

yes there is a need for modified crops in areas where there is not much rainfall or there are not enough nutrients in the soil but more tests have to be done to be sure.there is a study (on mice) from 2013 i think, that links gmo consumption with a risk of developing cancer ....

6. Osha

Osha Weh

Jun 19, 2012
    France
    Meh, as long as I'm not growing a 3rd arm on my back, I'd say let them do it.

7. Smuff

Smuff Fossilized Gamer

Jul 29, 2006
    By the sea
    My opinion ? I think we need to look into these things if we're to continue to be able to feed the planet. Imagine crops that can withstand unusually wet springs/summers or extreme cold winter, offsetting the recent rises in food prices as a result of these things. But like everything else, what starts of as a good idea to benefit all mankind will in fact end up benefiting only a handful of super-rich corporations through the magic of patents and copyright.

skebeman likes this.
  8. skebeman

skebeman Member

Newcomer
    May 5, 2009
    Cyprus
    exactly as i see it. yes we need gmo's, but before we use them more tests have to be done and as you said in the end it will benefit only a handfull of billionaires.

9. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    I am all in favour of GMO if it's done for the right reasons and with the correct goal. For example, creating a plant that is resistant to weed is good, creating a plant that is resistant to weed killers so that the farmer can use more herbicide in their fields without affecting the crop is fucking pointless bullshit. I'm looking at you, Monsanto. GM is a tool, it's not inherently good or bad, it's all about what we do with it. Possible applications of GM are amazing, for example there are genetically modified viruses that cure cancer, there's amazing potential in GM, but only if we use it to pursue worthwhile goals instead of being dicks about it.

KingVamp, chavosaur and Tomato Hentai like this.
  10. Hungry Friend

Hungry Friend It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Apr 16, 2015
    United States
    For one, label that shit. I'm not particularly educated when it comes to this issue but if, for example, entire countries are using the same GMO seeds(say Monsanto's roundup ready corn and soy) then if a disease starts killing crops en masse, peoples' crops won't have the genetic diversity to survive something like that. Add the fact that many weeds are becoming resistant to glyphosate(Roundup) and other herbicides, and you have a dangerous situation where the only people really benefiting are sleazy ass companies like Monsanto that force farmers to buy new seeds each year instead of allowing them to replant, and it's really just a way for them to make TONS of money off seeds and herbicides. When weeds become resistant to more herbicides, more toxic ones will have to be used which is already happening.

GMOs aren't inherently bad but companies like Monsanto are completely out of control, and they constantly exaggerate the benefits of their own GMOs without telling people about the HUGE risks. Their application of GMOs is disgusting and needs to be heavily regulated.

11. LightyKD

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    I'm not against GMOs. I am against untested products. Food will be different in the future (not even including the eventuality of interstellar food) and the human population is growing. There needs to be a middle ground between health, the human population and the advancement of GMOs

12. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Personally in against these modern GMO foods but I can see the benefit it potentially has although it has many side effects. Personally I feel they should be required to label in some way and go through more testing.

13. GhostLatte

GhostLatte Yet Another Shitposter

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    The University of Shitpostology
    I'm fine as long if they don't hurt me in any way.

14. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    Well, if you're hoping to dress up as Trogdor for Halloween, you might want to consider that.

the_randomizer likes this.
  15. RevPokemon

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    But then he'd have to cut off his other two arms

16. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I am absolutely and 100% for GMO's. Genetic mutation occurs naturally over the course of the years for a variety of reasons, genetic modification is simply human-controlled mutation for our benefit. If we can create foods that can withstand harsher environments, require less resources to produce and grow substantially faster than "natural" varieties, go nuts! And then there's GMO's that can fix our fossil fuel problems - think about that. We're capable of creating bacteria that'll make fuel for us, isn't that great? Go GMO.

17. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Do you mean hurt me in any way that the base life form will not? Making a completely harmless items is basically impossible -- a common phrase is there is no such thing as poisons, only poisonous doses.

What side effects would these be? I have yet to see a study worth the paper it is written on that details any extra side effects in the consuming animal.

The label stuff gets interesting. Out of curiosity is there such a thing as genetically modified organic food in your book?

18. RevPokemon

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    As for side effects It can including allergies and what not but the data is considered debatable but it is worrying to me that the GMO creators are lobbying in Washington and paying science professors (much like climate change denialist in a way)

As for good GMOs there are many that are safe and organic (like crossbreeding and other things).

I guess I'm just worried a bit over the idea that the science could be like climate change denialist in that it is affected more by money and lobbying than real science

19. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California

Pfft, who needs them!

20. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I have yet to die from anything or acquired any form of cancer from GMO's. So long as that trend continues, I am ok with them.