Hacking Generic USB charger?

lafleche

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi,

I wanted to limit to number of powersupplies if have to carry around so I thought....why not use my phone USB loader for the DS Light.
To my surprise I found out the the USB connector of the DS Light is not standard at all..... the usb cable doesn't fit!

1. Can I use my standard USB loader at all (right voltage/amperage)?
2. if so..is there some adapter to make the standard USB connector into a Nintendo USB compatible connector?

thx

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would not try charging both at once but you should be able to splice a lead onto the existing cable (or you could just make one).
USB spec:
http://www.beyondlogic.org/usbnutshell/usb2.htm

Bear in the mind the DS and the DS lite are different, the DS is the same as the GBA SP (best shot would be a headphone adapter).

Also the USB spec is a bit odd about power, you are only allowed to draw a certain amount of power before identifying yourself and as the power leads only use two wires (and thus are unable to ID themselves..... Basically some (usually laptops or older devices) will not like it.
This being said the volatage is fine (all the leads I have pulled apart have been straight through) and you draw current so it is hard to get too much in this regard.
Gamefaqs has a guide if you get stuck:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/ds/game/925329.html

lafleche

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

lafleche

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Kuraudo39 said:
huh y not just carry around a spare battery

That doesn't solve the problem that on a 3 week leave from home I need to carry around an adapter for my phone, girlfriends phone, Ipod, DS Light, Zen MP3 player..that makes 5 power adapters......fortunately the 2 phones both use a mini usb connector.... the Zen also has a mini usb but refuses to load with the phone adapter....(don't understand why)......

But still 4 adapters? That just sucks....

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att did offer a $500gc tempting to use it for 6 months and cancel