Geeky question about sleep mode

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by camintmier, Dec 7, 2008.

Dec 7, 2008
  1. camintmier
    OP

Newcomer camintmier Member

United States
    Okay, I've got a really geeky question about how sleep mode is initiated on the DS. Simply put, what turns on sleep mode? I know when I close my DS, it goes into sleep mode, but is there some sort of switch, magnetic "HallEffect" sensor, or something that says "Okay, the top's closed, you can go night-night now." I only ask this because I recently switched the case on my DS (bought a refurb one from Gamestop and they sent me a pink one...), and when I had it open I didn't notice any kind of switches or whatever that would turn sleep mode on.

Okay, I'm rambling now, so any help on this would be appreciated.

2. Brian117

Member Brian117 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Well, this is my twocents..

From experience from taking apart a DS...

There's a cable that runs through the hinge of the DS.

The cable is twistable and whatnot,

So I THINK, when you close the DS. The hinge bends the cable, and the cable simply shuts off when bent.

Honestly? I don't know. I just remember one time when I took apart my DS. I twisted the cable to get it out of the hinge, and the screens turned off.

3. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    Haha, good guess Brian, but it's not that, NDS has magnetic sensor that makes him go in sleep mode when you close it..
    You can also activate sleep mode by moving ordinary magnet along right sides of NDS (I'm not sure where it's exactly!), but I wouldn't advise you to move magnet near to motherboard just to test it!

4. Noitora

Member Noitora ::

Greece
    There's a magnet somewhere, I don't remember where exactly but if you put a small magnet somewhere around your ds, it will go into sleep mode [​IMG]

5. camintmier
    OP

Newcomer camintmier Member

United States
    Aah, so it's the magnet in the speaker that's doing it. I was thinking it was something like that. I just tried it out with a hdd magnet, and it works just as the video Toni Plutonij posted said. Thanks for answering my question.

6. Brian117

Member Brian117 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States

Ah, thanks for that info.

I was WAYYYYYY off.

=/