Gaming Gears of War Strategy/Tips

ceraphis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all I've been playing GoW on 360 for about a month now. I've always been good at shooters like counter-strike, always topping the charts and having a good kill/death ratio, and I know I haven't been playing for very long but I feel like every friggin game of Gears I play online I get my butt whooped every time. There are times when I can kill 3 peeps in a row with the shotty but then later on in the match, I'm at least 4th or 5th ranked with score and can't get any more kills. I don't think I'm doing anything specifically wrong, and I know it might just take time, but anyways this was the reason I posted.

Does anybody have any tips or strategies that they find really turns the tides in their favor in a match? I'm not talking about basic stuff here, I was clever enough to learn the ropes, like active reloading and staying away from chainsawing but there must be something else, something deeper that I'm missing. I'm thinkin more in terms of how to pull of a headshot or other such one hit kill more often with the shotty close range, or longshot strategies (I suck terribly with longshot), how to outwit a boomer (boomshotter?) with a shotty or assault rifle, or how to avoid a fragtag when you know its coming or how to at least take himn down and earn a kill while being doomed yourself.

It's all these things that I'm watching the other players do so fluidly while I unfortunately spectate most of the round and wonder what I'm doing so terribly. It was always so easy to blame pwning in CS as possibly a hacker ruining the game, but its my impression no gears hack is possible or will ever be for very long, so I know it's just me sucking like crap.

If you can't think of anything in particular, or just think it takes more experience, then answer these specific things that have been bothering me:

1. I've noticed other people seem to be having this problem too, but how come when I host, nobody ever joins? I've tried everything I can think of aside from hooking up directly into my cable box, but no luck with hosting yet. Anybody else had that problem and somehow fixed it? I know there is a slight advantage when you host a game due to the network algorithms in gears so this is an option I'd like to try out and see if it improves my game at all.

2. When you are battling others with a shotty, what do you find more effective: not holding the left trigger so you can move better, grabbing the trigger really quick and aiming a bit up before you shoot, or grabbing it and aiming a bit down before shooting? Or is there something else you think you do? Also: do you normally (with shotty) aim higher on the head, around the neck or more towards the chest?

3. To the more advanced, higher ranked players: do you voice communicate MUCH more in higher level games? Can that turn the tide of battle that much, like rushing the longshot or boomshot with all 4 y'all in gridlock or somehow trying a flanking maneuver? Or does everyone just do their own thing like it seems happens with the people I'm playing with.

Anyways, respond with any thoughts on some intricate strategy, and hit me up on live too if ya want: gamertag is Jeraphis.

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
1. there are hundreds of games and people tend to join games with 2 or more people.

2. No aim on close encounters(face to face); with aim, always shoot for the face. If you cant, shoot for the largest target on the body(the chest)

3. Usually everyone does their own thing, but sometimes you come across a gang of pros who seem to be playing together(same room maybe?)

This game is insanely hard to get good at online. I really suck, even though i have been playing for 2 months straight.

slayerspud

Trophies
XP
Country
When you are having a one on one, press L or whatever it is then shot. Do that in about 1 second so your shot is where you aim and you don't miss any time moving. Also just keep on practising.

ucablca

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Mastering blindfire with the shotgun will do wonders for you. I sometimes do a quick left trigger aim then fire, but I'm usually all out blindfiring at close range and I do pretty well in all public matches.

As for the longshot, learn to zoom after you're looking in the direction that the opponent is moving because it is very difficult to catch up while zoomed beforehand.

Also, melee is your friend especially with longshot and pistols (though many consider pistol whipping very cheap). Remember that the shotgun is bugged on melee -- so if your first hit doesn't take them down, you better shoot instead of meleeing again because you will miss.

ceraphis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you know i've been thinking about the whole active reload system, and I don't know how I feel about it totally.

One one hand, it's something you can work on over time to give yourself an edge over people who don't take use of it, and it takes a lot of skill to use it effectively all the time without screwing up.

But on the other hand, it really just becomes a nuisance after a while. Any player who is relatively intelligent will realize its benefits, and so when you start mixing it up with smarter, better players, everyone will be doing it so there is no edge anymore, just every person pressing buttons at archaic, learned, established "the best" times that just ends up with a level playing field again anyways. So really, when against players that are just as good at reloading as you, the feature might as well not exist.

Whatever anyone can say about how they feel about it, the only thing I know for sure is that I'm pretty tired of shooting off my shotgun or lancer everytime a round begins to make sure nobody has that edge against me. I guess what I wish is that they start you off with 4 rounds in a shotgun instead of 6, just to take that annoying little ritual out.

imgod22222

GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Me and my friend have one strategy, we run up to a person (holding a) with shotgun in hand, and just blindfire right in front of their face, and we usually blow their head off. Blindfiring is almost required when using the shotgun. Aiming doesn't help. The lancer is almost the worst possible weapon for multiplayer, unless you're noob or like to chainsaw your victims to death.
biggrin.gif
Lancer is good though, on stairs, hide behind a corner, and pop out with your revved chainsaw.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: See ya see ya later later