GDC Preview: Dead Island

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by prowler, Mar 8, 2011.

Mar 8, 2011

GDC Preview: Dead Island by prowler at 10:17 AM (819 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. prowler
    OP

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    [​IMG] Source

tl;dr - read the fucking thing.

2. Raikiri

Member Raikiri GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    awesomenesssaucejegermeistergeysermegamagmamountainstreamsodapopfountain!

do want! [​IMG] looks awesome

3. Hero-Link

Member Hero-Link Hero of Derrr

Portugal
    it does seem nice, but it's basically another generic zombie game in the end at least it's what it seems to me.

you have the "free roaming" and the items mix like in Dead Rising two, expect it's an island instead of a mall or whatever.

A lot of people will be disappointed when it comes out, it has way too much over hyped for the style of the game (this due to the trailer).

take notice i am not trashing the game! i love zombies games as much as the next person, but the market is indeed a little saturated at the moment.

4. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    The problem this game has is that the teaser trailer made people think they were getting something a bit different, an emotional journey through the human tragedy of a zombie outbreak and a different angle on a tired genre. Then they had to backtrack and say "Oh, no, no, the family aren't in the game, that little girl's already dead. You're gonna be this awesome rap star who curses and doesn't take no shit from no-one and slice and dice your way through zombies TO THE EXTREEEEMMME!"

5. prowler
    OP

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    It's much different from other games (Dead Rising, L4D) if that is what you're thinking.
    edit:typo

6. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Yes, there are other characters. But if you'd put Fred Durst in Donnie Darko as cussing bad-boy comic relief, the fact there were other characters wouldn't really save it.

Doesn't seem like "everyone else" knew the family from the reverse-shot trainer wouldn't be in the game
    http://uk.kotaku.com/5775798/that-heartbre...not-in-the-game

Basically it sounds like just another zombie game, with the obligatory Duke Nukem wannabee comedy character. As their spokesperson says, it's a "zombie action slasher" where the reason behind the outbreak doesn't need to be explained. There's just zombies, kill them.

7. Celice

Member Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    But it has the capability to be an extremely interesting hybrid zombie killer. I haven't been following the game, but if one correctly mixes aspects of open-ended gameplay, leveling systems, and hordes, one has, in small effect, a great large-scale Diablo-like game. The weapon supply seems to be the only real hindrance for this scenario.

I think it's more likely it's going to spiral into generic zombie bashing craze, because it's become popular, and has sold monies for a few years now.