RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That is all I need.
This GCW Zero device undoubtedly has the spec to provide nice PS1 and possibly N64 emulation though.

My key concern is that it uses a MIPS processor though. A number of similar open source devices like the Dingoo A320 and the GP2X Caanoo to my knowledge have used ARM processors.
I do not know if you can simply port over code made for ARM devices to a MIPS device that easily.

Youtube videos of the GCW Zero in action however, have shown it emulating Shantae for Gameboy Color at full speed.
The DS running Lameboy was not capable of that, and my GP2X Caanoo could only play it near full speed.

Surkow

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
That is all I need.
This GCW Zero device undoubtedly has the spec to provide nice PS1 and possibly N64 emulation though.

My key concern is that it uses a MIPS processor though. A number of similar open source devices like the Dingoo A320 and the GP2X Caanoo to my knowledge have used ARM processors.
I do not know if you can simply port over code made for ARM devices to a MIPS device that easily.

Youtube videos of the GCW Zero in action however, have shown it emulating Shantae for Gameboy Color at full speed.
The DS running Lameboy was not capable of that, and my GP2X Caanoo could only play it near full speed.
This is incorrect, the Dingoo A320 (JZ4740 soc) uses the same MIPS architecture as the GCW Zero (JZ4770 soc). This allows the GCW Zero to make use of emulators developed for the Dingoo A320. This is the reason why it is popular in the Dingoo scene.

Reactions: raulpica

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
Nope, won't get it . I don't like the form factor. :sleep:

i'll never understand this argument. how else would you design it? an SP form factor? the most hand numbing pain inducing form factor ever released? sure it fits in your pocket easily but otherwise it is extremely uncomfortable to game with over long periods of time.

I'll also never understand the obtuse outlook of those who write off a great experience because they don't like a color, or shape, or design element. adapting is part of human nature.

i grew up with arcades. i couldn't even begin to imagine how many great gaming experiences i would have missed out on by taking a different stance. "it doesn't play like an arcade cab so i refuse to enjoy it!"

I'm definitely interested, but depending how 3DS hacking pans out I might not even need a device like this.

I also hope the 3DS gets blown wide open and that emulation embraces it. I would love nothing more! realistically, even if the hack is released, it could be years before we see any substantial progress. with the GCW Zero, right out of the box you get Dingux emulation, games, apps, and homebrew backwards compatibility.

My only question right now is does Open Dingux support legacy Dingux software? I wouldn't expect some older (yet really fun projects) to get updated for Open Dingux.

-another world

ferret7463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to Another World, I do not want to appear as a jerk, but i love the "SP" and yes i do have large hands. I like how i just see the screen and not the controls. I like the portability and the screen protection that it offers by just being what it is. As far about the Arcade thing is concern..... I stand while i play my video games, like use to do when i was a kid, pumping quarters into the machine. (Pac Man Fever use to drive me crazy:wacko:) :P

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
to Another World, I do not want to appear as a jerk, but i love the "SP" and yes i do have large hands. I like how i just see the screen and not the controls. I like the portability and the screen protection that it offers by just being what it is. As far about the Arcade thing is concern..... I stand while i play my video games, like use to do when i was a kid, pumping quarters into the machine. (Pac Man Fever use to drive me crazy:wacko:) :P
Yeah I've been standing while playing video games for years ( even standing on chairs 'cause I couldn't reach the arcade joystick as a kid around 1980's ;) ) and I still stand these days,but only when I give an occasional try at Guitar Hero....;)

Regarding the form factor......The GBA SP design is fantastic ! Is just the perfect handled to safely carry around and extremely comfortable to play with. Too bad I played everything I wanted to play on it already, the the screen resolution / HW doesn't offer much on the emulation side....

So having something like this could be really good. This whole Dingoo compatibility situation is really good too.
Is like we have a standard for emulation, and the more years go by, and better , more powerful devices could run those emulators better and better, until perfection is eventually reached .....

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Overpriced, outdated (was good in 2009 when it was supposed to be released) and Craig (one of the main members of the team) is an unreliable prick.

You missed paranoid, over-zealous, megalomaniac, and a whole hose of other adjectives needed to give a complete picture of the guy! ;) I noticed the team are pulling the same crap with iControlPad 2 "Have it in time for Christmas. Oh we were surprised at how many of you actually WANTED us to delay it to add something that was never in the original specs to start with...."

Reactions: Tokiopop

dickfour

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This thing is going to be an awesome console for retro emulation. It has a perfect screen resolution. Hi res screen look like crap with old games. I like the fact that it has a 4:3 aspect ratio. Fuck it has real analog. It's the first open handheld to come out in some time and it's going to have an active community development. I'll be pumped to get my hands on one of these. I personally like Linux handhelds over android. The light weight Linux OS will leave more power for emulation.

Filipe C Bello dos Santos

Real pirates don't buy fake copies.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Second that! and it looks like the gemei a330, but better built, and better that PSPGO, because GO has a widescreen and that sorta blurry the resolution on emulators.

Seen the specs, this looks like more powerfull than the psp, but there's a lot of things that i don't understood most of things, anyone can confirm that please ?

dickfour

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's certainly more powerful than the psp. I'm looking at this as next step for retro emu. Sure there are going to be more powerful handhelds this year like the nvidia but they're not going to be well suited for emulation of older machines due to the higher screen resolution. It just makes the graphics look all fuzzy and shitty. Something like this has been a long time in coming. It's been about 4 years since the GPH Wiz came out. This is the first machine that looks like it'll be able to top it.

Parasite X

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'll never understand this argument. how else would you design it? an SP form factor? the most hand numbing pain inducing form factor ever released? sure it fits in your pocket easily but otherwise it is extremely uncomfortable to game with over long periods of time.

I'll also never understand the obtuse outlook of those who write off a great experience because they don't like a color, or shape, or design element. adapting is part of human nature.

i grew up with arcades. i couldn't even begin to imagine how many great gaming experiences i would have missed out on by taking a different stance. "it doesn't play like an arcade cab so i refuse to enjoy it!"

I also hope the 3DS gets blown wide open and that emulation embraces it. I would love nothing more! realistically, even if the hack is released, it could be years before we see any substantial progress. with the GCW Zero, right out of the box you get Dingux emulation, games, apps, and homebrew backwards compatibility.

My only question right now is does Open Dingux support legacy Dingux software? I wouldn't expect some older (yet really fun projects) to get updated for Open Dingux.

-another world
I agree with you about the SP form factor I hated the SP and the micro's form factors they were way too cramped I'm happy with my 3DS,Revo K101 and Vita's form factors. I can't wait to see unauthorized emulation on the 3DS with custom channels like HBC.

Reactions: dickfour

orion4874

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually have a prototype unit and can say these handhelds are very comfortable to hold. If you're familiar with the GPH Caanoo it's about the same size and has the same size screen. I like everything about it tbh.

hobastian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is all I need.

Dingo A320 is also a MIPS, in fact, the GCW's processor is a faster, more capable version of the Dingoo's processor, which is why the GCW can run OpenDingux.

Surkow

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Does this have TV-output? It'd be nice if it could emulate Sega Saturn games, too. Panzer Dragoon Zwei or Saga on the go would be awesome.
Analog TV-out and Mini HDMI 1.3 out.

TV-out requires a new IPU driver for scaling to work. This is the current state of TV-out captured with MPlayer and an analog tv card:

tvout-wip2.png

HDMI is not in a working state before the units will be shipped.

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Does this have TV-output? It'd be nice if it could emulate Sega Saturn games, too. Panzer Dragoon Zwei or Saga on the go would be awesome.

Saturn is one of the more difficult systems to emulate due to its complicated Design with its CPU's, GPU's and Sound set up
It comes from the fact the saturn was designed to be a 2D 32-Bit console but then Sony showed they was making the Playstation which was mostly 3D so Sega quickly added on an extra 3D Processor (Which lacked some effects the Playstation could do mind you) but it did well enough. Made it hell to code on and even more hell to emulate :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: