Hacking GC backups, with no controller or memory card?

Lux420

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
I've been enjoying my softmodded wii since forever. Got it back when Comcast was giving them away along with service and Twilight Princess was the most relevant modding method. I've never entirely figured out how to play GC backups from USB and I haven't really wanted to until now.
I'm pretty savvy with this stuff. But the latest and greatest dog we have chewed through all the cables. To all of our nice controllers. I'm reduced to a 2 wiimotes, a nunchuck, and a classic remote until I can get a hold of supplies to fix my other controllers.

I'm running System Menu 4.2 and the latest of everything (hackmii / hbc / cfgusb / usblgx etc).

I've looked at a looooot of guides so far for what I'm trying to do but none of them quite cover all of my requirements, at least, not that I can tell.
Here's my dilemma pretty much.
I have no USB-Gecko black magic poppycock.
I have no GC memory card. I guess I need something called No More Memory?
I have no GC controller. So I guess I need software that doesn't require the use of a GC controller to install, AND has an alternative controller option so I can use my Classic Controller or PS3 controller to play my backups.I DO have two 2GB SD cards, more USB thumb drives than I can count, and an external partitioned to 150 gig of WBFS and 150 gig of Fat32.
I DO have DVD-Rs and a backup of Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness.

One of you please help me out.

Apostrophe

VIDEO GAMES
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well there are 3 ways to play gamecube backups. Dios Mios(Lite) and Devolution for USB loading, and Neogamma with a cMIOS for playing DVD backups. The only one of these 3 loaders that has support for any controllers other than gamecube is Devolution, which is the only loader with anti-piracy. Basically, to play any game with Devolution, the first time you run it you need to insert your retail copy of the game for it to load off of your hard drive in the future, to prove you own that game. This must be done with a legitimate copy of the game, DVD backups will not bypass this verification. If that's a problem for you, you're going to have to invest in a gamecube controller.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well there are 3 ways to play gamecube backups. Dios Mios(Lite) and Devolution for USB loading, and Neogamma with a cMIOS for playing DVD backups. The only one of these 3 loaders that has support for any controllers other than gamecube is Devolution, which is the only loader with anti-piracy. Basically, to play any game with Devolution, the first time you run it you need to insert your retail copy of the game for it to load off of your hard drive in the future, to prove you own that game. This must be done with a legitimate copy of the game, DVD backups will not bypass this verification. If that's a problem for you, you're going to have to invest in a gamecube controller.

However, if they wait, there is the 4th option of Nintendont for USB GC game loading which will be released eventually (not sure when), it will play on both the Wii and the Wii U, allow for PS3 controllers (And I think classic controllers, but I'm not sure on that), and does NOT have anti piracy protection. Again though, this has not yet been released, though Crediar does have a proof of concept video.

TyBlood13

As Seen On GBATempTV
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
However, if they wait, there is the 4th option of Nintendont for USB GC game loading which will be released eventually (not sure when), it will play on both the Wii and the Wii U, allow for PS3 controllers (And I think classic controllers, but I'm not sure on that), and does NOT have anti piracy protection. Again though, this has not yet been released, though Crediar does have a proof of concept video.

Except only the Wii version is not going to have any alternate control methods. So unless he's going to get a Wii U or buy/borrow original GC discs, he's pretty screwed

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Except only the Wii version is not going to have any alternate control methods. So unless he's going to get a Wii U or buy/borrow original GC discs, he's pretty screwed

The stance is: "At start, the Wii-version won't support USB-controllers. It is planned to add the USB-support for the Wii version, but this issue has a rather low priority."

So it likely too will eventually support other controllers, but not initially. Again, he'd just have to wait for this method, which as it is, if he wants to use Nintendont anyway, he has to wait since it isn't even out yet anyway.

Lux420

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Okay okay. No big deal, I can probably manage to squeeze a new controller into the finances this month.

So supposing I buy a new Gamecube controller, I would be looking at Dios Mios, right? Could someone point me in the right direction(s) here, assuming I still won't have a memory card?

TyBlood13

As Seen On GBATempTV
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay okay. No big deal, I can probably manage to squeeze a new controller into the finances this month.

So supposing I buy a new Gamecube controller, I would be looking at Dios Mios, right? Could someone point me in the right direction(s) here, assuming I still won't have a memory card?

You can use NMM, which is part of DIOS MIOS, but has low compatibility with games
http://gbatemp.net/threads/dios-mios-lite.329342/

Lux420

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh...Idk. There aren't many GC games I'd take too must interest in anyway. Should I go ahead and invest in a Gecko-something?

A shame that it seems so difficult to run GC backups. I know I'm not the first leech to ask about this but...If USB Loaders for Wii games run the game with the Wii hardware as if it were just a disc in the drive, but running GC backups seems to entail something entirely different, what's the big "FU" inside the Wii that makes it such a flib-flobbin hassle to do this? I can see how the memory and controller things are a different playing field, I guess I'm just put off by all of this spooky NAND and NEEK business.

So here's my arsenal.

Seagate FreeAgent GO 300 gb partitioned:
150 gig WBFS
150 gig NTFS (yep, i was mistaken in the first post) which contains backups of my files and folders.

1GB Kodak SD Card (SD card I used to use)

2gb FileMate MicroSD Card with SD Adapter (Which I've been using for my main Wii SD card)

Would the fact that it's a MicroSD with an Adapter affect any kind of important speeds or benchmarks or anything?

I'd like to avoid having to reformat my external but I think I'm going to do it anyway, since I guess CFG USB Loader can load games from NTFS without the need for a WBFS drive now? Could I just keep most of my apps on the same drive too?
Generally what's the optimal way to set all of this up.

TyBlood13

As Seen On GBATempTV
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh...Idk. There aren't many GC games I'd take too must interest in anyway. Should I go ahead and invest in a Gecko-something?

A shame that it seems so difficult to run GC backups. I know I'm not the first leech to ask about this but...If USB Loaders for Wii games run the game with the Wii hardware as if it were just a disc in the drive, but running GC backups seems to entail something entirely different, what's the big "FU" inside the Wii that makes it such a flib-flobbin hassle to do this? I can see how the memory and controller things are a different playing field, I guess I'm just put off by all of this spooky NAND and NEEK business.

So here's my arsenal.

Seagate FreeAgent GO 300 gb partitioned:
150 gig WBFS
150 gig NTFS (yep, i was mistaken in the first post) which contains backups of my files and folders.

1GB Kodak SD Card (SD card I used to use)

2gb FileMate MicroSD Card with SD Adapter (Which I've been using for my main Wii SD card)

Would the fact that it's a MicroSD with an Adapter affect any kind of important speeds or benchmarks or anything?

I'd like to avoid having to reformat my external but I think I'm going to do it anyway, since I guess CFG USB Loader can load games from NTFS without the need for a WBFS drive now? Could I just keep most of my apps on the same drive too?
Generally what's the optimal way to set all of this up.

Yeah, WBFS is pretty worthless now. Change it to FAT32, as it is what DIOS MIOS needs as the FIRST PARTITION on the drive. And I wouldn't go for a Gecko. A GC memory card would be cheaper.

reprep

Trophies
Website
melankolisavar.blogspot.com
XP
Country
just buy a gamecube joystick (or better a wavebird) and use dios mios. i would also recommend a gc memory card instead of NMM, compatibility of NMM wasn't good before, it might have been improved though. i got a cheap large size gc memory card, it works both on wii and gc without problems.

Lux420

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
First partition, got it. So I set it up with Fat32 (32k cluster?), then Dios Mios will read game files from a folder, and I'm still free to use that same partition with the new CFG USB, right?
Do I need to worry about this NEEK stuff?

reprep

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
First partition, got it. So I set it up with Fat32 (32k cluster?), then Dios Mios will read game files from a folder, and I'm still free to use that same partition with the new CFG USB, right?
Do I need to worry about this NEEK stuff?

yes you are right. you can still use that partition for wii games too. i do it this way, both my gc and wii games are in the same partition.

and nope you don't need NEEK.

Lux420

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, I used this command:
Code:
format j: /fs:fat32 /a:32K
and after 3 hours and getting to 100%, it said "the specified cluster size is too small for fat32." Found this but it doesn't seem to shed much light on the subject, I'm on Windows 7.

Before I formatted like that, I removed the second partition and made the drive one simple NTFS partition with Disk Manager. So command line was formatting a 300 gig NTFS drive to Fat32 with 32k cluster. Umm...Yeah, I'm lost I guess

Or I'll just have to make a 32 gig partition?

reprep

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
i used a third party fat 32 formatter as windows simply refuses to format disc over 32 gb as Fat 32. unfortunately i can't remember the name of the program.

no reason for you to restrict yourself to 32 gb as both wii and gc games might exceed this. also do a quick format to avoid waiting times.

Lux420

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Installed Partition Magic, it tried to fix a bunch of errors on a different drive, then crashed. So I installed MiniAide Fat32 Formatter and formatted the external to fat32. Reached 100 percent and refreshed with the new drive info then I BSOD'd (inpage error, ntfs.sys), then rebooted to find a Fat32 external, and....and....an entirely missing partition on the 'different drive'. So now I'm just trying to save these files that are apparently still there but that partition has no letter and won't mount for some reason.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: the voices inside my head