GBC Rom trimmer?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by darnoc, Jan 6, 2009.

Jan 6, 2009

GBC Rom trimmer? by darnoc at 3:00 AM (3,299 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. darnoc
    OP

Member darnoc GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    does anyone know if there is a gbc rom trimmer? i have a problem with one of my games and i was hoping mbye trimming it would solve it if so please post the link to download it thanks!

2. hankchill

Member hankchill I Pwn n00bs.

Canada
    If you have a problem with a game, trimming it will *not* fix it.

Besides, why would you need to trim a GBC game? Wasn't the biggest one like 2MB?

3. darnoc
    OP

Canada
    its harry potter 1 and its 4 mb so i know there something wrong with it also i redownloaded it a few times

4. darnoc
    OP

Canada
    als when i download i says its 2.7mb but when i extract its 4mb is it something mabye to do with my computer

5. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    I don't see where you're drawing your conclusions from. Donkey Kong Country for the GBC is 4 MB, but that doesn't mean it's a broken game. Also, there's nothing wrong with it being 2.7 MB when compressed and 4 MB when not compressed as that's the very definition of compression.

GBC games do not contain much trimmable data. Goomba Color supports slightly trimmed/compressed roms, but only with its special trimming tool. These games would not run in Lameboy.

More than likely, the problem is that you believe that Lameboy has perfect compatibility when it doesn't. This game may just not work properly in the emulator for the time being. If you have a slot-2 device, you can try using Goomba Color, but that's the only real option you have.

6. enarky

Member enarky GBAtemp Advanced Fan

DGBMax was quite good at trimming ROMs, back in the days (only works with GB-Xchanger, though). While it's true that you can't trim very much off most GB/C ROMs by todays standards, back then even a few kBytes off meant the difference of having another one of those very small games like Mario Land 1, Tetris, Qix, Quarth or Kwirk on your card ot not.

But trimming really doesn't have anything to do with the OPs problem.

calebsw likes this.