sweis12

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
I am currently modding my GBC .
I ordered a new orange shell on rosecoloredgaming
I ordered a frontlight kit from kitsch bent.
I tried looking online for a way to make it rechargable.
Does anyone have a link to a guide?

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
there were several rechargeable battery packs for the GBC and gba... even nintendo released official ones...
aren't thoose an option? they usually got a DC IN port, you can recharge them and play...

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It could probably be done with a lot of work. It would probably be far easier to just get one of the rechargeable packs designed for it, replace the rechargeable batteries in that, and call it good. I just use rechargeable AAs in mine, not that big of a deal to me to just swap them out.

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
It could probably be done with a lot of work. It would probably be far easier to just get one of the rechargeable packs designed for it, replace the rechargeable batteries in that, and call it good. I just use rechargeable AAs in mine, not that big of a deal to me to just swap them out.
2vs2 AA batteries was the best thing when i was a kid.. play wiht one pack, while the other are recharging, exchange then go...
i had one unnoficial battery pack that come with lots of accessories.. it made a really nice grib to the back of the gbc..

anyway. the gbc has a DC in port.. if you use it while having batteries what happens? i didn't remember if it recharges the batteries but most likely it doesn't...

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2vs2 AA batteries was the best thing when i was a kid.. play wiht one pack, while the other are recharging, exchange then go...
i had one unnoficial battery pack that come with lots of accessories.. it made a really nice grib to the back of the gbc..

anyway. the gbc has a DC in port.. if you use it while having batteries what happens? i didn't remember if it recharges the batteries but most likely it doesn't...
No it doesn't. I do believe it just cuts off power from the batteries and uses the DC input. If it tried to recharge the batteries, I imagine a lot of kids with regular batteries would have ended up with unstable batteries and possibly a fried system.

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
No it doesn't. I do believe it just cuts off power from the batteries and uses the DC input. If it tried to recharge the batteries, I imagine a lot of kids with regular batteries would have ended up with unstable batteries and possibly a fried system.
you are right, just checked on a game boy color manual, it doesn't say anything about the charger thing, but it specifically says to use alkaline batteries and not NI-CD batteries.. so yeah, it cuts the power

anyway, it would be really cool if OP could reutilize that port and put rechargeable batteries inside..
i know almost nothing about electronics, but you would need a regulator or something to control power while you are playing or not... am i right?

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you are right, just checked on a game boy color manual, it doesn't say anything about the charger thing, but it specifically says to use alkaline batteries and not NI-CD batteries.. so yeah, it cuts the power

anyway, it would be really cool if OP could reutilize that port and put rechargeable batteries inside..
i know almost nothing about electronics, but you would need a regulator or something to control power while you are playing or not... am i right?
You'd probably have to design a whole new PMU to fit inside the GBC housing, desolder the DC port, solder it to the new PMU, then connect the PMU to the GBC board. It would require far more work than I've ever done on a handheld, and I've done quite a bit of modding. You'd be better off just using a pack through the battery contacts.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.