GBAtemp V5 is online!

Dear Tempers,

The GBAtemp Team is happy to present the Fifth version of GBAtemp (this isn't even its final form!). TJ and I have been working on it for months and it's finally ready for you to use. There are tons of changes so I will only highlight the biggest ones, and you'll discover the rest by yourself over time.

A new homepage
We have created a brand new customizable and modern homepage. Its layout can be adjusted to fit your personal preference - move your mouse over the "Home" menu item and click "Customize your portal" to make your changes.

New site skin
We have updated the site and forum skin to look more modern with new colors and fonts. Both skins have been updated (light & dark). We are still working out the kinks, we are aware of a few minor issues, not everything's perfect yet but in time we'll get there!

Mobile friendly browsing
Finally you can browse GBAtemp on your mobile devices... without Tapatalk! Our new skin is fully responsive, just try it, it looks fantastic! All site features are supported, including the dark theme.

Ask GBAtemp!
If you have been around long enough you already know what this is. But for the others: Ask GBAtemp is a place where you can ask simple questions and get direct answers, in a similar manner to Yahoo Answers. There are already thousands of questions back from a few years ago, and it's now time to get back at it! Go ahead and ask your questions if you've got any.

Board upgrade
We have updated our forum software to the latest version, and this brings a lot of improvements on all fronts. The biggest and most noticeable improvements are:
- a new message editor supporting image paste and drag & drop
- watching a forum to get notifications when new posts are made
- multi-quote and selective quoting
- thread-wide bans... whoops, this is going to come in handy for the mod team
- online status indicator on avatars

We hope you will enjoy browsing the new and improved GBAtemp. Feel free to reply to this thread to give us feedback. Many thanks to tj_cool for doing most of the work!

A discussion forum has been created to centralize discussions revolving around GBAtemp v5. Click here to access it! We have already created several thread about known issues.

Costello & the GBAtemp Team

logo.png

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
First let me begin by saying:

- The team reads every single of your comments and everything is taken into consideration. That doesn't mean we will do every single thing that everyone asks, but we really do read and think about your suggestions, and over time we will implement some (maybe most?) of them. You just need to bear with us for a while because we've been working really hard on this lately.

A quick note for my friend @WiiCube_2013 : asking for the same thing more than 10 times will not particularly help :P

I have selected a few points that I can give answers to right now. Other points will be discussed with the staff before any action is taken.

I wish we could use the old theme still and it was a choice which we used

Edit: The watched threads button seems to be gone which is rather inconvenient since I used it to see if I accidentally skipped an alert
It's not - hover you mouse cursor over the "Forums" menu and you will see the "Watched threads" link.

Now, I'll be constructive, and point some small things that could be fixed. I would appreciate if any staff member working in the layout took some time to read this :3
We do, we really do :)

The icons on the top right look like something straight out of a 2006 stock icon pack.
As a matter of fact they are! And guess why?
- we don't have a graphic designer in our team so we couldn't produce new icons by ourselves
- we've been looking for commercial-free / copyright-free icons without success
We want to replace these icons ASAP, a thread will be created in that regard.

The mobile version still has a few quirks but you gotta admit it's enjoyable and much better than it used to be.

Also, we are aware of an issue with the fonts that we use for titles.
That font is called "News Cycle" and does not work well under Windows with Firefox and Internet Explorer, it looks aliased (it's fine with Chrome though). We'd like to find a solution, a separate thread will be created to discuss the issue as well.

Finally, we did realize that there is an issue with the "upload file" popup: when you browse GBAtemp under http:// it works, but if you're on https:// it fails to load. That's because Filetrip doesn't support HTTPS yet... but it will soon.

In case anyone wants to quote my post and ask more questions, or ask me why I haven't covered a particular point in this post, my answer will probably be: "we are going to consider it and get back to you later". :P

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Have you ever thought about that 95% likes the modern look (Eg Win8 Android L, iOS7 etc)? Ofc website does what people like.
Don't make up ridiculous statistics. Don't pretend that operating systems = people either. Just...don't.

The reality is, that even though the realism design is being brought back (or at least having support for it as an option) due to popular demand, flat is still the preferred choice for the majority. That's why I'm not fighting. I did offer a few suggestions for the staff, but that's it.

I think it's worth noting that I'm seeing lot more complaints about the font being hard to read than anything else. Something with a larger gap between the letters would help readability.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I for one -love- the persistent user bar. Maybe because that's where I can access reports from as well (so hell, it's even bigger for me) but between a 50" and 22" 1080p display it's unobtrusive and barely noticeable for me, even on the dark theme. The icons definitely could use some love though :P

D

Deleted User

- we don't have a graphic designer in our team so we couldn't produce new icons by ourselves
I suggest you use text in place of those icons until you can find better ones.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I for one -love- the persistent user bar. Maybe because that's where I can access reports from as well (so hell, it's even bigger for me) but between a 50" and 22" 1080p display it's unobtrusive and barely noticeable for me, even on the dark theme. The icons definitely could use some love though :P

Out of curiosity, what does that bar look like for mods/staff?

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
First let me begin by saying:

Hope this ones help for now:

http://smartwebworker.com/661-freebie-gemicon-icon-set/
gemicons-icons-preview-1024x892.png

Edit:

Another similar pack: http://chrfb.deviantart.com/art/Web0-2ama-165156124

web0_2ama_by_chrfb-d2qbva4.png

I could also use them as a base and modify them as needed, if that's relevant.

Edit: I did some icon sets myself using one of this packs as a base.. ...you can check them out here: http://gbatemp.net/threads/notifica...s-find-better-ones.389837/page-2#post-5516737

Last edited by Walker D,

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I like the selected quote option! Really useful! I was tired to manually edit a quoted post to only get one bit of text, especially if the post was uge :D

Other than that, Looks very good, but I would like to have an option in homepage with news, which could be shown as they used to be in the previous version of gbatemp. Currently, it only is text, small images and text, expandable or the first being full. I would like the homepage news being shown all full, like it was before.

I also like the new profile post appareance, where posts made in peoples profiles are shown too :)

Astoria

Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
We do, we really do :)

You should check Font Awesome. It's open source, GPL friendly and can be used in commercial projects without atributtion. https://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/

Also, please consider an icon font before using plain images for icons, because this will reduce the weight of the page and also will make them look great on HDPI displays.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should check Font Awesome. It's open source, GPL friendly and can be used in commercial projects without atributtion. https://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/

Also, please consider an icon font before using plain images for icons, because this will reduce the weight of the page and also will make them look great on HDPI displays.

I hadn't even considered an icon font, thank you for suggesting that! I'll need to see what's available that could work. Problem though is that an icon font wouldn't necessarily display properly on all platforms unless that font is installed/supported on the platform, right?

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
This layout is shit, I need the old layout back, please and thanks.
You know what's waaaaay more helpful to those that are actively working to improve the layout, find bugs, and just make things better in general: pointing out what exactly it is you don't like, along with what you think does work. The layout can't be improved off little more than whining. Costello is reading every suggestion and even every post doing little more than shitting on the change (because that's just how this stuff goes), so if there are specific things you just can't stand, at the least you should bring them up so that in future changes, if it is deemed truly detrimental, it can be altered.

Mystic Shadow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MY EYES :'( I liked the old way maybe you can implement a choice like a few websites do so we can choose. Its up to you guys no matter what tho I'm still coming here to ponder.

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzmdrobXH34