GBAtemp Recommends Revival # 004

VatoLoco

Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.backwoodzstudioz.com
XP
Country
United States
gbatemp_recommends_revivla_logo2_build-1.png

Welcome to the 4th issue of the GBAtemp Recommends Revival Project! This project is a weekly magazine feature where we share our favorite games and applications with you. The things we recommend may be "old school" titles, a Homebrew, a ROM hack, sleeper hits, an application, etc, but one thing's for certain, we think they are fantastic and deserve your attention!

GBAtemp Recommends!

Recca​

D'ya like shmups? Me too! This week we take a look at Recca (Blazing Fire), a super fast paced vertical shooter for the NES/Famicom developed by Naxat Soft for their "Summer Carnival" competition back in 1992. Fully titled as Legend Consumer Series - Summer Carnival '92 Recca, the game came out towards the end of the NES' lifespan, after the SNES system release. Unfortunately the game was overlooked and didn't receive the attention it deserved.

Your mission in Recca is to blast your way through an array of enemy spacecraft in order to engage and destroy the level's boss. What sets this game apart from other shooters of this era are the speed of play and the sprite count. It was an amazing feat that the programmer, Shinobu Yagawa, was able to code the game to run at full speed, without significant slowdowns, considering the Nintendo's limited processing power.

Recca was meant to be played competitively, so the game-play can be quite difficult right from the start, but frustratingly fun. It consists of three game-play modes; Normal Game, Time Attack, and Score Attack. Additionally, there is a Recca Pure hack patch available that adds a hard/easy selection, and also unlocks a super-hard fourth mode called Zanki Attack, where enemies you've shot explode into a spray of bullets.

The game was a limited production Japan only release, so the original cartridge is rare (and expensive), meaning that most of us will only experience the pleasures of this game from a ROM dump. So, fire up your favorite NES console emulator [nesDS (DS), FCE Ultra GX (Wii), Mednafen (PC, Wii)] and give this manic shooter a go, you wont be disappointed, just a li'l bit heart-broken your ship keeps getting destroyed so quickly... again, and again.

Also Check Out:
Naxat Soft's "Summer Carnival" shooter titles for Turbografx/PCEngine, playable through Nitrografx (DS), Hugo (Wii), and Mednafen (PC, Wii)

icon11.gif
Alzadick~Summer Carnival '92
icon11.gif
Nexzr Special

Genre: Vertical Shooter
Type: Retail Release
Developer: Shinobu Yagawa for Naxat Soft
Release Date: July 17, 1992
ROM Size: 256 KB
System: NES (and your choice of NES EMUs)

If you enjoyed this weeks edition of GBAtemp Recommends! please leave a comment in the thread. This helps us monitor feedback and ensures we keep posting these magazine articles in the future. If you want to write for the GBAtemp Recommends, please PM a topic idea to Another World. Be sure to include a brief description and why you feel it is software appropriate for the Recommends Revival.

download.gif
Recca Pure Patch
icon11.gif
Recca Wiki Page
controller.png
Official GBAtemp Recommends! Mini-Page & History

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    sony should #stopkillinggames
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    they killed LittleBigPlanet online, which was the main core of every LBP game
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol newegg+