Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
essentialgames.png
GBAtemp Recommends! Ninja Five-O
G.R. Issue #17 (GBA)

Welcome, as we chop our way through the seventeenth issue of GBAtemp Recommends! - a weekly magazine feature in which we share our favorite Game Boy Advance titles. The games we recommend may be top titles from the GBA library, a homebrew, or they may be sleeper hits that flew by the radar, but one thing's certain, they're all fantastic games that deserve your play time!

GBAtemp Recommends!

Ninja Five-O
NinjaFive-O-01.png
snapshot20090210201017.jpg

Classic time tested elements wrapped with an arcade ribbon, sold and then forgotten, make for perfect recommendations. Ninja Five-O is the story of a cop (5-0, get it?) who sets out to defeat an evil criminal ring influenced by magical ninja-relic masks, while saving hostages and disposing of bad guys. The game stays true to the ninja-genre while being successfully inspired by Rolling Thunder, Revenge of Shinobi and Bionic Commando.

From swinging shuriken throws to magical ninja attacks, graphics are highly detailed and beautifully animated. Well planned levels can be entertainingly traversed, leading towards a required color-coded key, and inevitably to a boss battle. Enemies attack only when you enter their field of view, an element for which stealth attacks would have fit nicely. The Button layout keeps movement accessible without the need for over-the-top combinations. A hardcore repetitive soundtrack manages to stay fresh while inspiring the need to slay brutally as you go. Game play remains simple through quick pick-up-and-play arcade style level design even when harder difficulty settings increase the challenge. Players must endure as the later stages, and the actual ending, are not available from the 'easy' mode.

Developed by Hudson Soft and published by Konami, Ninja Five-O was skipped by most players due to its name and generic looking U.S. box art. Regardless of a few insignificant shortcomings, gamers can rest assured this addictive old-school inspired side-scrolling action romp packs a fun challenge for every level of play. Its good to the last chop!

QUOTE(Tips Tricks & Facts) said:
• Six missions, including more than 20 levels
• Three difficulty setting, one unlockable
• Time Trial mode
• Voted #23/25 top GBA games of all time (IGN)
• When your special attack meter fills, hold A+B to unleash ninja-magic!

eu.gif
0927 - Ninja Cop (E) (Advance-Power)
us.gif
1047 - Ninja Five-O (U) (Trashman)

Genre: Action/Beat'um-up
Developer: Hudson Soft
Publisher: Konami
Dump Date: 15/06/2003
ROM Size: 32 Mbits

If you enjoyed this weeks edition of GBAtemp Recommends! please leave a comment in the thread. This helps us monitor feedback and ensures we keep posting these magazine articles in the future.

Special thanks to SoulAnger - A true ninja!

gicon.jpg
View in G-Online
c171.gif
Game Profile at IGN
controller.png
Official GBAtemp Recommends! Mini-Page & History
discuss.png
Discuss

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hepheisto said:
looks interesting, but I dont get the 5-0 thing >.>

Five-O is a nickname for police in the US (and some other places as well). One major reasons for its use is from Hawaii Five-O (an american cop drama from the 70's... ironically set in Hawaii lol). Think that should cover it
wink.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A classic GBA title, sort of like Ninja Gaiden meets Bionic Commando. I wish Konami did more of these Arcade titles, they seem to have forgotten their roots somewhat.

Who wants a DS or WiiWare sequel?

Absynthe

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Why is this called "GBATemp Recommends:" while the others are called "GBATemp Recommends!"?
By the way I did not know this game. Thanks for the amazing work, keep up these Recommends, I love reading 'em.

Zamo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hadrian Uranium said:
A classic GBA title, sort of like Ninja Gaiden meets Bionic Commando. I wish Konami did more of these Arcade titles, they seem to have forgotten their roots somewhat.

Who wants a DS or WiiWare sequel?

Hell yes, this game is awesome. I had so much fun with it, I'm quite surprised this is only featuring now on Recommends, this was the first game I thought of when this series started.
gbasp.gif

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Moved to Gaming News
whammmooo
mthrnitesmiley.gif

(Hey it was costello's idea to do this..plus the article will be seen more)

btw this game looks kickass, definitely will try out

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jph said:
Moved to Gaming News
whammmooo
mthrnitesmiley.gif

(Hey it was costello's idea to do this..plus the article will be seen more)

btw this game looks kickass, definitely will try out
We should have that dainty little box up there too, you know above site navigation.

xanth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zamo said:
Hell yes, this game is awesome. I had so much fun with it, I'm quite surprised this is only featuring now on Recommends, this was the first game I thought of when this series started.
gbasp.gif

Haha, me too actually.

I remember after discovering this one randomly and getting addicted to it, I put it, along with a bunch of other more well-known GBA titles on my school's network a few years back.

A couple days after I did that, my hallmate comes over and knocks on my door, asking if I had played this Ninja 5-0 game I had put up. :-D

xoinx

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
arctic_flame said:
There's a speedrun of this game here: http://tasvideos.org/1257M.html

Entertaining if you've played it already.
aww, brings back old memories...! used to participate quite actively in that forum, damn addictive once you start learning about TASes... and seeing how the community breaks classic games to smithereens lol

oh, i made a movie for the site too, for genesis game called comix zone. probably one of the most underrated games on the genesis.

for those wanting to see something a run on more popular games, check out the Super Mario 64 movies (0 star, 1 star, 16 star etc)-- the route planning is amazing for those runs-- , the genesis and gba Sonic runs-- the pace of the gameplay is crazy fast and amazingly glitched-- and nes rockman series--classic gaming at it's best, tas at it's glitchiest.

Pizzaroo

douchebag
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
AH IT WAS THIS GAME! I was thinking about what the title of this game was the other day. "The one where you have to kick guy with gun ass as a ninja"

Goshogun1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome game that I am sure received very little attention. One of my all-time favorite GBA games of all time. It reminded me of Shinobi and Bionic Commando combined into one.

knl

I can change this?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I remember when this game was involved in a quiz answer on gbatemp. >_>
when I saw it I played it for a while and it was pretty cool, I usually don't like this sort of game for whatever reason but it kept me entertained for a few hours

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @Xdqwerty why cant they do so for the switch :sad:
  • A @ anotherthing:
    Online was free on the 3DS as well, and it worked well.
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I can't help but think nintendo switch online is the reason we did not get a gameboy/n64/gamecube
    mini classic edition
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, i think it would have been impossible to see anything in a gameboy mini
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    well I meant that as a figure of speech
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    they could just rerelease a modern gameboy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    like the pocket analogue
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    but nintendo licensed
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    dammit that thread got moved from offtopic to edge, well since that happened
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, atleast it's still avaliable
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes but it wasn't meant to be a comedy thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and edge of the forum is mostly comedy and games
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so I don't get why it got moved at all
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, mods are probably hating you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    on most sites mods hated me, sooner or later, but usually over time I get either banned or the mods get used to me
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    sometimes to the point of thanking me for my quick actions etc against spam and other stuff, but yea...its either they come to respect me or outright hate me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If it's not game related, it will be moved to the Egde of the forum. Mods have moved a few of my threads also.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, it was in the off topic chat forum
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    hmm
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    uoiea
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    huh?
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: huh?