GBAtemp Recommends! Homebrew #4

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by FAST6191, Jun 27, 2009.

Jun 27, 2009
  1. FAST6191
    OP

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    [​IMG] GBAtemp Recommends! Homebrew #4

This time GBA homebrew for all.

[​IMG]

GBAtemp Recommends!

Trade Winds, Herg's Solitaire and Vulkanon​

The GBAtemp recommends! homebrew series is back with another selection of homebrew.
    This time around is no different to before but for those just joining us in these posts we suggest some homebrew titles from the systems GBAtemp covers.
    All the systems GBAtemp covers have a large selection of homebrew available and in amongst all the releases are some truly classic examples of what can be done when you do not have the pressures of time and a marketing department.
    Unlike previous posts this one is not going to focus on the DS and instead we are opting to showcase some of the best the GBA has to offer. With the GBA released back around this time 8 years ago and homebrew being around about as long there is a large selection available.

[​IMG]Click here to read the full post
    [​IMG]Discuss

click for other gbatemp recommends homebrew

2. FAST6191
    OP

pip
    United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

GBAtemp Recommends!

Trade Winds , Herg's Solitaire and Vulkanon

The GBAtemp recommends! homebrew series is back with another selection of homebrew for you to check out.
    This time around is no different to before but for those just joining us in these posts we suggest some homebrew titles from the systems GBAtemp covers.
    All the systems GBAtemp covers have a large selection of homebrew available and in amongst all the releases are some truly classic examples of what can be done when you do not have the pressures of time and a marketing/accounts department. Anything from a huge open world game to a music tracker to a microgame can appear in these posts and you can take our word on it that they are all equally likely to elicit the "just another five minutes" mindset.
    Unlike previous posts this one is not going to focus on the DS and instead we are opting to showcase some of the best the GBA has to offer. With the GBA released back around this time 8 years ago and homebrew being around about as long there is a large selection available.

1)Trade winds from Kevin Bohlmann
    [​IMG]GBAtemp download
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Trade winds is an open world game of sorts and much like other games like it a heavy uses random elements makes every game different . Think of it as a seafaring version of Elite and much like Elite you are free to choose what you want to do.

2)Herg's Solitaire from Harold Toler
    [​IMG]Author Homepage
    [​IMG]GBAtemp download
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Herg's solitaire is a collection of cardgames for the GBA and for many it ranks up there with any of the commercial offerings, included are Klondike, Freecell, Tripeaks, Pyramid, King's Corner, Yukon, Scorpion, Aces Up, Golf, Canfield, Spider, Double Freecell, Sir Tommy,Carpet, Stonewall, Cruel, Montana and Topsy Turvy Queens.

3)Vulkanon from Takayama Fumihiko
    [​IMG]Author Homepage
    [​IMG]GBAtemp download

Vulkanon is one of many shmups, homebrew and commercial, for the GBA. As you can see in the demo above it belongs to the vertical scrolling bullet hell subgenre. If you like this sort of thing the author also did another called bulletGBA which is available on the homepage above.

3. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    That Trade Winds thingy looks interesting... Might download it soon.

4. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    I absolutely loved Herg's Solitaire. I know Solitaire isn't exactly groundbreaking but it's a great pick-up-and-play kind of title, and perfect for when your WinXP spider solitaire addiction hits 3am and it might be best to go to bed! The whole game just runs perfectly, I've never had it crash or do something unexpected. There's plenty of variants of Solitaire in there, and the developer even threw in an optional custom card back and backgrounds set. Plus the filesize is small so you can always fit it on your cart for a rainy day. Definitely a keeper [​IMG]

5. FAST6191
    OP

pip
    United Kingdom
    @Overlord Natie if you like that sort of thing Elite (both the new kind and "A") have been ported:
    http://www.geocities.com/quirky_2k1/downloads/index.html
    There is also "Sea Trader - Rise of Taipan" on the commercial game side of things.

@Psyfira I know exactly how you feel.

6. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    Herg's Yahtzee is also a well polished homebrew. i've had it on my gb micro for a while. there was a time i would play it once a day. it has kind AI. you won't struggle, something that keeps the fun factor high for a pick-me-up game.

-another world

7. Mr.Mister

Member Mr.Mister GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Is Tradewinds just like the PC game?

8. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    Thanks for the info! [​IMG]

9. disgaea fan

Newcomer disgaea fan Member

United States
    must download

Posts merged

must download

10. ZER∅

Banned ZER∅ Banned

United States
    Herg's solitaire is excellent, packs hours of gameplay into a tiny file. I checked out Trade Winds on VBA but got a white screen on the GBA, I'll try again tomorrow. Not into shooters, but BulletGBA I will have to check out if only for the fact that you have to turn the GBA sideways to play it! And I flashed everything from Quirky's page, I just love stuff like that. Thank you!

11. blueskies

Member blueskies GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    bulletgba and vulkanon are fantastic games. haven't tried the others, but i'll be loading up solitare, definitely.

Thanks again FAST these homebrew posts are great!

12. DsHacker14

Member DsHacker14 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The first 2 games look interesting the 3rd one, looks pretty cool too. Thanks for this ;D

13. mrfatso

Member mrfatso That guy!!

Singapore
    nice, as soon as vista gets back to gbatemp, i am gona pass him this post [​IMG] since he loves bullet hell game [​IMG]

14. croatia

Newcomer croatia Newbie

United States
    Well as I load all programs from Homebrew Launcher 0.4 at the moment, it shows up as "Homebrew Launcher 0:01" for every day that Ive used it.

Im pretty sure Nintendo will gather the information as private/untraceable to users, Ill have to read the Wii Connect 24 TOS/Privacy thing again...