GBAtemp now ready for E3!

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Costello, Jun 13, 2010.

Jun 13, 2010

GBAtemp now ready for E3! by Costello at 11:39 AM (8,827 Views / 0 Likes) 68 replies

1. Costello
    OP

Administrator Costello Headmaster

[​IMG]
    GBAtemp puts on its finest outfit for the opening of E3, with two amazing changes that we hope will have a strong and long-term impact on the overall user experience! I am indeed happy to introduce our new portal layout, optimized for reading news articles - which will become more and more frequent starting with E3.

This new portal does not only provide improved visuals! Here's the whole thing:
    • With the top 3 featured articles, you will never overlook important news again
    • News articles are pre-loaded in your browser, no more load times when switching articles
    • A [​IMG] and [​IMG] system for liking or disliking articles
    • Select your favorite news category: all news, popular news, gaming, homebrew, videos... and let the site remember it
    [​IMG]
    Wait what, videos? Yup, you got it right: GBAtemp officially launches its video service - also known as GBAtemp TV! We will be using this service to offer featured content such as video reviews, game trailers, homebrew videos and much more. Only staff are allowed to upload videos, as well as a small selection of volunteers who will become part of the TV Crew. Videos will be displayed on the portal, but you may also find them in the new dedicated GBAtemp TV forum. Without further ado, take a look at this video for more details about the service:

[tv]118778-21[/tv]
    tinymonkeyt's introduction to the video service
    If you wish to become part of the TV Crew and are able to upload videos on a regular basis, you are welcome to apply by replying to this thread and describing the kind of videos you'd like to offer to the community.
    One last note to the conservative kind: if you're not that into videos and want to revert back to one of the old portal layouts, you should be able to do so within the next week or two as we will offer more customization options. But we're sure that you'll eventually get used to it and enjoy this more streamlined news reading experience!

Thank you all for visiting the Temp, and have an excellent E3!
    The staff

2. Costello
    OP

*insert negative feedback about the new portal here*

answer:
    [​IMG]

3. Noitora

Member Noitora ::

Greece
    I'd like to become a part of the TV crew, I could probably upload videos of translation projects... [​IMG]

4. Gore

Member Gore GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    [​IMG] Gore dislikes this.
    [​IMG]

5. BoxShot

Member BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

United States
    [​IMG] Lucky I rarely go to the portal though.

6. Rabbi Nevins

Member Rabbi Nevins GBAtemp Regular

United States
    what if a normal user produces a video that would probably contribute to the community? like a tutorial or something. Would we need to send it to a person in the tv crew for evaluation or something?

7. SylvWolf

Member SylvWolf Ave Dominus Nox

United States
    It looks pretty good, but two things:

1. How the hell do I make it smaller? I'm not a fan of having to scroll down that much to get to the scene releases.

2. Is it possible to access the associated forums directly from the frontpage? As it is now it seems I have to view an article then get to the forum from there.

8. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    Doesn't really affect me, but it looks kinda nice. Kinda sneaky announcing this at night (North America). Because more people are online during the day.
    Or are all announcements made at night? [​IMG]

9. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Hmm, hope I can get the latest releases back to the top again soon. But then I still use the GBATemp Lite skin so maybe I'm just stuck in the past.

10. Costello
    OP

you need to be part of the TV Tempers crew if you want to be uploading vids...
    so submit an application and let us know what kind of stuff you want to produce, and we'll give you an answer.
    if its positive, you'll be part of the TV crew and be allowed to upload vids [​IMG]

for the occasional video, I guess we could allow that, but it needs to be quality stuff.
    just send your video to an admin/mod/mag staff/other tv temper.

11. Twiffles

Member Twiffles танковые победы

Germany
    Costy put it all up, I'm guessing, and it's almost 2PM there in Shanghai. :X

But yeah, 3rd big change I've seen since I came here? Maybe 4th. When you guys changed the portal the last time. Good job guys, looks awesome. :]

12. B-Blue

Member B-Blue im a slut

I like the new layout a lot! Great job, guys!

+1. I'd like to make it smaller too.

13. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    If you are going to submit a vid, please make sure it is of the top most quality. Try your hardest to submit only your best work. GBATemp TV is not a second youtube or a home for the rejected 2 minute reviews of the internet. We really want to host the best quality bits of information, tip, guides, walkthroughs, technical information, and more, in video format.

We will not become a video blogging site for personal rants, talents, or complaints. Just because you can clap with one hand does not mean you should hold a NDS and submit that video for GBATemp TV.

Master your editing skills, pre-script your dialogue, use proper lighting, plan your shoots, research your content, etc.

Many things will make for great vids but only the best directors will be allowed to join the TV Crew. If you are unsure, need help, or want to be pointed in the right direction, ask someone. We can try to come up with content based on individual talents and skill sets.

-another world

14. Feels Good Man

Member Feels Good Man GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    Can I help with the E3 news? I have the most spare time ever and have nothing to do.

15. kennypu

Member kennypu GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Unlike sites like youtube and facebook that had new looks that we're kinda worst than before, I'm liking this one :]

For a temporary fix, in most browsers, you can 'zoom out' by pushing ctrl+ - (dash/minus), ctrl+0 for default. just my 2 cents xD

16. Traitor

Newcomer Traitor Advanced Member

Canada
    I don't like how the videos auto-load. Not that great for people who have data limits.

17. Costello
    OP

FGM: submit news in the "user posted news", if they are good (eg. not 100% quoted content from other sites) we'll move them to the portal

the new portal will become customizable in the following fashion:
    - you can select the amount of news you want listed in the main box
    - you can select whether you want releases on top or at the bottom of the main news box
    - you can select whether or not the first article should be expanded by default (I don't like it when its expanded by default, personally)
    - you can revert to the old portals if you want to

that stuff will be available soon, but i can't tell when.

you have a point. I'll see if I can disable that!

18. Deadmon

Member Deadmon A Temper

Canada
    Looks good, but like some others, I hope we get the ability to move Releases to the top of the page again.
    Good job otherwise team.

19. DarkWay

Member DarkWay tsubasa hiroge

United Kingdom
    I like the new layout [​IMG] I knew something was going to happen yesterday [​IMG] muhahahaaa

20. Forstride

Member Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

United States
    Well, this is my application to become a TV Temper. Pingy told me to come here and post a sample of what kind of videos I would upload.

I was thinking of doing a weekly video series that has modern game music retrofied through a program called GXSCC. I was also going to do a little animation or a ROM hack as the video. It would be the game the music is from, with NES graphics.

There would be 3 songs each week, and Tempers could request a certain song from a game, and I'll pick the best one out of the entries. The entries will be chosen based upon what I think, as well as what I think the Tempers will think of the songs. I will listen to each of them before and after the retro-fying, and choose the one I think most of you guys will like.

I have two samples, but they do not have animations/video. Just an image.