OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
GBAtemp game of the week- week #4
Tetris compare and contrast

Week #4 of the GBAtemp book game club brings a minor change to the format of the previous weeks. As always we will try to bring you something interesting from the hidden gem, early game, homebrew or otherwise from a system we cover but this week it is a compare and contrast exercise.[/p]
Before that though the previous round links
icon11.gif
 Week #3 (secret files tunguska)
icon11.gif
 Discussion thread for Week #3

The chosen Tetris games
Most of you should be familiar with the falling blocks game otherwise known as tetris as it is a staple of just about every system be it commercial or homebrew however it is quite easy to go wrong when making a tetris game and we are not even talking about the extensive rules at this point.
For our money (or not thanks to homebrew) there are four great examples of tetris on the DS.[/p]

Tetris DS
GBAtemp release thread
A somewhat small run, it being well received and it having release date early in the DS lifetime occasionally make this harder to get your hands on (although it is by no means rare).
There are some hacks to the sound files and some guides to show you the way to do it yourself (it is quite easy) should you find you dislike the mario theme or one of the others.[/p]

Tetris the grand masters
icon11.gif
 Author homepage (no downloads on site)
icon11.gif
 Homebrew thread with some discussion

A homebrew game and a remake of a couple of console titles of the name same/series. The project was shut down but the binary is still around for those that look. When asked what homebrew games can stand up against commercial releases this is usually one of pieces of homebrew mentioned and beyond that we hold it is one of the best tetris games out there.[/p]

Lockjaw
icon11.gif
 Project homepage
download.gif
 Filetrip download

Another homebrew tetris game . There was also an earlier GBA game called Lockjaw the overdose (formerly tetanus on drugs) you might also wish to see.
It is however extraordinarily customisable probably with more options than every other on this list.[/p]

Tetris Party Deluxe
GBAtemp release thread
A fairly recent release and many would tell you it is not as good as some of the others on this list but it is still available and it has some interesting options/modes as well (some rendering it far closer to the original GB tetris).[/p]

Demo video of the games listed
[tv]32303-300[/tv]​

Those are the four we have set for this week but if you have an example you feel we missed or indeed you wish to put forth that the PSN/PSP tetris mini is by far the superior tetris game of recent times do say something.[/p]

discuss.png
 Discuss

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&search_tags=gbagotw&search_app= should get you other links in this series

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Tetris DS is in my opinion still the finest version of Tetris ever made. I hate the new DS/WII "Tetris Party" games because online vs, the controls are waaaaaaaaay waaaaaay too loose, they just don't register every single button press touch-for-touch if you're too fast.

The Tetris I think should be included on this list is relatively new "Tetrisfriends.com" which has excellent vs. gameplay although sometimes you get fucked by lag.

tetrisfriends.com is free and official Tetris Company

Zowayix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For even a mildly hardcore Tetris gamer, Tetris DS absolutely stinks for exactly one reason: It has a long lock delay with infinite spin. This allows one to easily play forever with next to no pressure from any sort of time limit. It is literally the only reason I chose Tetris Party Deluxe over Tetris DS.

yuyuyup

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Zowayix said:
For even a mildly hardcore Tetris gamer, Tetris DS absolutely stinks for exactly one reason: It has a long lock delay with infinite spin. This allows one to easily play forever with next to no pressure from any sort of time limit. It is literally the only reason I chose Tetris Party Deluxe over Tetris DS.
The infinite spin is a drawback but that shit doesn't fly in VS mode which is what I play

smile72

NewsBot
Trophies
XP
Country
I've never tried Tetris DS, I love puzzle game, but I could never get into Tetris, possibly due to the lack of a story. Does Tetris DS have any sort of story mode?

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Other than cutscenes and I think a couple of branded spinoffs I have yet to meet a tetris game with a story mode. Certainly there are none in the four mentioned here.

Re infinite spin and delays- because none of us have ever deliberately hampered ourselves for a challenge in a game?

rastsan

8 baller, Death Wizard,
Trophies
Website
rastsan.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
FAST6191 said:
Other than cutscenes and I think a couple of branded spinoffs I have yet to meet a tetris game with a story mode. Certainly there are none in the four mentioned here.

Re infinite spin and delays- because none of us have ever deliberately hampered ourselves for a challenge in a game?
you don't want to it was terrible... they had these backgrounds that were distracting (you would often not be able to see the bricks going down of certain colors because of their "theme"). Also you would get interrupted amid gameplay for stuff that later on just did not make any sense. either on the iphone or windows mobile... kept it only because there was nothing else to play and you could just pause and go back to playing where you were...

after all tetris is tetris no matter how you package it.
save the city by building it... along that line of silliness

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: though if it s important to go online for a game I would much rather buy it