FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

GBAtemp book game club edition 61 is good to go. This series is part of the collection of them we have that aim to highlight interesting games with this one focusing mainly on rom hacks, commercial games, homebrew and leaked code for the GBA, DS and Wii. More importantly this is less about us reviewing a game and more about providing a chance for those that played it to have a chance to discuss the selection. Top ? games lists certainly have their place but this series will look at those sorts of titles as well as those that showcased interesting ideas or that fit with a theme if we have one (we did a good games released in English but only in Europe theme a while back).
Most selections will be of a single game but there will be the odd compare and contrast for a selection of related games or a challenge/run posed.

#61 - Labyrinth (NDS)

Way back in the mid to late 1980's Taito released a series of arcade games using a rotary dial the first and foremost of which was arkanoid (a port/remake/update of an earlier title called breakout) which has since gone on to become an arcade legend and one of the most ported/remade titles ever. A few years after Arkanoid they also released a reaction driven puzzle game known as Cameltry (On the Ball outside Japan) for similar hardware where you controlled not a character or some abstract object but the world itself in an effort to get the ball to the goal.
It later enjoyed a top notch port to the SNES where it supported the little remembered SNES mouse but unlike Arkanoid it did not enjoy a port to/remake on every system under the sun and it would only be on the DS that the game would rise again first as Mawashite Koron and outside Japan as Labyrinth presumably as it has a few similarities with the maze game of the same name. Sadly it did not support the the paddle controller eventually released for use with the DS port of Arkanoid but the touch screen works very well making it one of the early examples of touch screen controls done right. Variations on the theme have cropped up several times of the years, perhaps most notably as the Sonic 1 bonus levels, but today it is not as well known as some of the other arcade classics and for that reason it is our selection for this edition.

Gameplay video

gt1795.png

GBAtemp release thread

A missed opportunity for a proper rotary control or a nice little puzzle game? If you like this sort of thing there is an exceptional piece of DS homebrew called Marble that you will want to see and you might also enjoy previous game of the week entrant the kururin series.

gbagotw should get you other links in this series

h8uthemost

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That looks awesome. I'm a huge Arkanoid fan, and I didn't even know this game existed on the DS. I was thinking it was going to be some bad RPG by the name of the title.

Thank you. Not only that but I'll be checking out Marble as well...

Daemauroa

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Looks pretty fun if you ask me. is this japanese release or something because the voice sounds very ''engrish''.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
He starred in a fairly well known film of the same name http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091369/

As for the Japanese it pretty much just the voice over and some of the character art- the game proper reminds me somewhat of the old amiga and demoscene style graphics more than anything overtly Japanese.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1