FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Time for a new GBAtemp book game club. For those new to this series the general idea is a game (or a few) are listed after which people get to play them (or recall a previous playthrough) before discussing it with the others in the thread.
games can be selected for many reasons although we do wish to note that this is not a simple top ? games list as we feel those have been done to death. To this end should a game have a neat mechanic, be a change of pace for a company, be an attempt at something new (or something not seen in a while) for the platform or something else along those lines it can just as easily find itself the subject of the club. The subjects of these clubs are mainly sourced from the long lists of rom hacks, homebrew, commercial releases and other code for the systems we traditionally covered around here (that is to say mainly Nintendo handhelds and consoles). On occasion we like to try to mix it up a bit by throwing in some additional criteria not directly related to the game itself (budget, region exclusivity, small runs or do compare and contrast or pose a challenge within a game.

#33- Puyo Puyo! 15th Anniversary (NDS translation)

Puyo Puyo has been around for about 20 years at time of writing and is often considered one of the premier puzzle game franchises and as such there are many games in the main series and even more if you account for the themed and spinoff versions but they seldom appear outside Japan meaning there are still those unfamiliar with it. To this end this edition features a fan translation of the 15th anniversary edition for the DS (versions for the PSP, wii and PS2 but the DS version is probably the most complete one). Unlike many other puzzle games that feature concepts almost immediately obvious to anybody that plays it (but with room for deep strategy) Puyo Puyo is better enjoyed if you go into it with a rough idea of what goes so for that we direct you to the umbrella site for this translation. On top of this much like recent tetris titles there are many modes with slight variations on the central themes along with the classic modes for the series.
Do note this translation is for the 0866 version if using numbered releases- the earlier one had a save bug and the fixed version is used as a base and the later release has not had this translation ported to it. A Spanish translation should also be available for those that want it.

Short fan video (others available)

[/p]

go1522.png

Fans of different boxart might wish to check the EU version[/p]

GBAtemp release thread[/p]

Filetrip download
Project release thread
Romhacking.net download[/p]

discuss.png
ongoing discussion

gbagotw should get you other links in this series

BigLord

Trophies
XP
Country
There was a patch for this? Awesome! Gonna try it asap! :D Thanks for the tip.

Now that the DS has basically all but died, these "GotW" posts are all that I have left... the 3DS is still too expensive for me, lol.

nmn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, cool. We're on GBAtemp.

It should be noted that Puyo Puyo 7 and Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary also came out since 15th. Puyo Puyo 7 was also translated by Puyo Nexus and a translation for Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary is in progress (and this one should include a Wii patch as well, which will be cool.)

But that aside, it's really a great game; they put a lot into it. Not to mention that deceptively simple Puyo Puyo gameplay- it gets extremely competitive in Japan! (Just take a look on YouTube.)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Oh yes. This was my favorite version of Puyo Puyo, because of all the different game modes.
Though, I played it too much so I got kind of sick of it and don't play it anymore.
Still a great game though, it takes a lot for me to like a puzzle game as much as I liked this game. I'm normally not a fan of them.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Deletable_Man I have tagged all these GOTW articles with gbagotw and game of the week tags. http://gbatemp.net/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&search_tags=gbagotw&search_app=forums should then be able to list them. Alas I have been putting the game title as a subheading for the last few weeks so only the earlier games have titles in there so that is perhaps not ideal.

@nmn do something good and we try to shine a light on it. Thanks for the info on other goings on though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Faust03 @ Faust03: hey the spam bots are acting up again