GBA SP Shell Swap: How Hard Is It?

Discussion in 'GBA - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Rokku, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Rokku
    OP

Rokku GBAtemp Fan

Oct 4, 2010
    United States
    I'm now the proud owner of a blue AGS-101 GBA SP. And while I love the new screen...the shell has certainly seen better days, with plenty of scratches and even a bit of chipping along the one side. The screen and buttons are excellent, but the outside looks like it's been rattling around a child's backpack for years.

My question is...how hard is doing a shell swap? I'm not really a fan of the pale blue and the shell's all scratched up anyway, so I was thinking of getting an orange shell and swapping the guts over. I know I'll need a tri-wing screwdriver, but is there any other tools I'd need?

2. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    its very easy

3. WiiFit_Guy

WiiFit_Guy GBAtemp Regular

Jan 10, 2015
    Canada
    Nice! I got a GBA SP 101 from a garage sale not to long ago! Works like a charm and not bad condition. As for you, like Jo88 says, follow the video and it should be easy. You can buy shells from ebay along with a screwdriver (the whole kit).

4. Rokku
    OP

Rokku GBAtemp Fan

Oct 4, 2010
    United States
    Alright! Glad to hear it's not quite as rough as trying to do DS repair work.

5. Mike001

Mike001 Member

Newcomer
    May 10, 2015
    United States
    The first reply of RetroGameTech's vid will NOT HELP. It is literally a disassembly video not a replacement shell one. This guy just says "do it all I'm reverse" and I was so stumped. Look for a different vid. And the only tool you need besides a triwing screwdriver is a Phillips #00. Some sellers on eBay offer shells with proper tools, its like $15. That's what I got.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Watch this for less confusion.

6. Rokku
    OP

Rokku GBAtemp Fan

Oct 4, 2010
    United States
    Thanks, I appreciate the explanation. You wouldn't happen to have a link to someone selling a gold or green shell with tools, would you?

7. Mike001

Mike001 Member

Newcomer
    May 10, 2015
    United States
  8. Rokku
    OP

Rokku GBAtemp Fan

Oct 4, 2010
    United States
    Great, thanks!

Unfortunately, I think I'm gonna need a new battery too. Only got like 4 hours on the low setting. Oh well.

9. Mike001

Mike001 Member

Newcomer
    May 10, 2015
    United States
  10. sweis12

sweis12 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 20, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    I just did one yesterday. The only part that was hard was reconnecting the ribbon cable and popping the hinges out of the old case.
    Besides that it was EZPZ.

11. Rokku
    OP

Rokku GBAtemp Fan

Oct 4, 2010
    United States
    Successfully completed the swap on the first try! Awesome.

Definitely easier than I expected. Just like sweis12, I only had issues with the hinges and reconnecting the ribbon cable.

12. sweis12

sweis12 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 20, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Post pictures?