GBA SP Arcade Tabletop

D

Deleted-236924

yuyuyup said:
they should sell cheaper kits minus the system so you can not only use your own system, but obviously make it so it's not fixed permanently.
And how do you suppose they would have done that?

QUOTE(Arm73 @ Jun 14 2011, 02:03 PM) Even better, I would have used a custom DSiXL with an added GBA port

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Pingouin7 said:
yuyuyup said:
they should sell cheaper kits minus the system so you can not only use your own system, but obviously make it so it's not fixed permanently.

QUOTE(Arm73 @ Jun 14 2011, 02:03 PM) Even better, I would have used a custom DSiXL with an added GBA port

They are capable of building a custom made interface to hook up an external joystick to the motherboard of a GBA and custom build a frame housing an ensemble of arcade joystick, buttons and encoder, they surely know more of electronic than me and you put together .
Besides, I'm not a technician, I merely use my creativity to come up with new ideas ( a la Myamoto
nyanya.gif
)............

EDIT:
By the way, if I were an electrician and really wanted to build such an unit( and willing to take apart a couple of systems ) but with a DSiXL instead with an added GBA port, I would take apart a DSL and house the motherboard into the frame, living the slot 1 and 2 accessible of course, and then simply take apart a DSiXL, get rid of its guts, fix it to the top of the frame, and hook up the output of the DSL screens to the XL screens, and the d-pad and buttons to the arcade joystick, and there you go, a custom made tabletop with the larger XL screens.
Again, I'm not a technician so don't argue about voltages , micro-switches and so on, it's just an idea.

ToyAndTvGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all!
I just registered, and will find the time to read through this thread and respond to all of your questions.
James,
ToyandTvGames
Thanks!

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Arm73 said:
Pingouin7 said:

Arm73 said:
Even better, I would have used a custom DSiXL with an added GBA port

They are capable of building a custom made interface to hook up an external joystick to the motherboard of a GBA and custom build a frame housing an ensemble of arcade joystick, buttons and encoder, they surely know more of electronic than me and you put together .
Besides, I'm not a technician, I merely use my creativity to come up with new ideas ( a la Myamoto
nyanya.gif
)............
Doing something like that is as easy as soldering some wires. Instead, adding a GBA port for which the system has no native support whatsoever (it's not like they just removed the connector) requires extensive software-side and hardware-side hacking.

D

Deleted-236924

Arm73 said:
Pingouin7 said:
Arm73 said:

Except you cannot modify the firmware of the DSi(XL) yet.
How do you propose they would make the DSi(XL) firmware boot the GBA game?

I'm not even sure if the DSi(XL) has a GBA bios to begin with.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Pingouin7 said:
Arm73 said:
Pingouin7 said:
Arm73 said:

Except you cannot modify the firmware of the DSi(XL) yet.
How do you propose they would make the DSi(XL) firmware boot the GBA game?

I'm not even sure if the DSi(XL) has a GBA bios to begin with.

Re-read my earlier post , the conceptual explanation is in the EDIT.
And FYI, the DSL has GBA hardware in it, it's not just a simple matter of flashing a new BIOS in it, that's why I said DSL.

MaxNuker

GBATemp's Official Shinigami Substitute
Trophies
Website
facebook.com
XP
Country
Portugal
Actually Arm73... you said DSiXL... thats why he said that he thinks the "DSiXL" doesnt have GBA Bios...

The DSL does Have, but the DSL is not a DSiXL and in the 1st quote you said: "Even better, i would have used a custom DSiXL with an added GBA port"

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Ruined a perfectly good AGS101 unless you're Quasimodo, have a really odd pair of eyes which magnify things or own a spare bongo carrying case.

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks nicely done, although I'd rather just have the SP itself and fit it into my pocket. If it was removable, it would be neat.

D

Deleted-236924

MaxNuker said:
Actually Arm73... you said DSiXL... thats why he said that he thinks the "DSiXL" doesnt have GBA Bios...

The DSL does Have, but the DSL is not a DSiXL and in the 1st quote you said: "Even better, i would have used a custom DSiXL with an added GBA port"
Plus, I'm pretty sure the DSL wouldn't accept the DSiXL screen.

ToyAndTvGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First round of answers...

The Screen is too Small
This is a matter of opinion. The standard GBA arm-length viewing radius applies here. If the SP screen looks OK when cradled in your palms, then it will look fine when played on your desktop or coffee table. Adding a larger screen is costly, bulkier, time consuming, and requires more power.

Why use a GBA SP?
Small / Affordable / Powerful CPU / Long Battery Life / Arcade Classics / Flash Carts / Vast Library of AAA Software, all well-suited for arcade controls / Durable / Easy to Expand + Mod / Etc

Why not a DS?
The strength of DS gameplay resides in the touch screen, the handheld is not well-suited for arcade controls. Also the DS has a plethora of features that an arcade cradle would hinder. Lastly, the DS machines are a bit more fragile than the toy-like GBA line.

Why is it So Ugly?
This is another matter of opinion. Less is More, and the ergonomics are very comfortable to operate and hold in your hands. Its' also very sturdy.

Are those Bongo Drums?
No. That is stained Acacia wood. Chosen for durability and pleasant visual acoustics.

It should have a TV Out
This can be connected to a Gamecube for play on an external monitor.

300 hours? No Way
Research and Development / New Tools + Practice / Studying other GBA Efforts / Learning GBA architecture / Trial & Error / 3 Machines Constructed

Questions are always welcome!
James

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
QUOTE said:
Research and Development / Studying other GBA Efforts / Learning GBA architecture
You mean tracing the pads of eight buttons and routing out some wires? Highly complex science, indeed.

Seriously, I do not see a point either. It is too bulky to be portable, yet does not look like it could make an adequate home device.

The Pi

Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
ToyAndTvGames said:
300 hours? No Way
Research and Development, okay planning it out
New Tools + Practice, should already have them
Studying other GBA Efforts not needed
Learning GBA architecture again not needed, assuming you knew how a push button works (very simple)
Trial & Error ha
3 Machines Constructed, again ha

For the price it's not worth it, everyone knows someone (or knows someone who knows someone else) who could do that for much less than that.

If he put in a larger screen (actual skill is needed, along with more expense parts) then it would be worth the price. Otherwise, yet another ebay ripoff.

ToyAndTvGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Next round of (we'll call it) Q&A...

This Device Should be More Complex
These machines are toys, intended for people of all ages that are fond of the video gaming hobby. Arcade gaming in particular.

Research is Unnecessary
Studying what others have done is human nature, and is required to succeed at anything. The GBA architecture is a fascinating study.

Knowledge and Skill come at Birth. Investing in Materials and Honing Skills are a Waste
No real answer here...your search engine can link you to organizations that subscribe to inherited wealth, genetic skills and purity.

Simplicity is a Detriment, Not a Virtue
Hmm....See above...

Are there any constructive critics? All of this anger lacks illustration, be specific!

The Hate Speeches and Slander are very entertaining!

Thanks,
James

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry, but anyone who buys this, especially at that outrageous price is either a tool, moron, or both.

It's ugly, looks uncomfortable to use, screen is way too small for the way it's supposed to be placed/viewed, etc.

My advice, if you're going to waste time researching, building, etc. and money on parts and whatnot, why not make something people will actually want to buy?

Wiierd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
As someone who's gearing up to build a few arcade sticks that looks kinda cool but unless it comes with some sort of adapter to hook up to your TV it's just a waste of space and money.

For that cash you could buy an old cheap netbook, affix it to the cradle and use the >70$ in arcade parts with an iPac or Cthulhu to interface with the netbook and call it a semi-portable retro arcade you could have around the house and not bother the wife's sensibilities. You may have just given me an idea to use my eeePC 701 on.

ToyAndTvGames said:
No. That is stained Acacia wood. Chosen for durability and pleasant visual acoustics.

Visual acous... Wait, what? :wtf:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sak is a fishy pineapple