Hacking GBA On DSi

TwinBlades

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I dont know if this topic has already been made but has any of the new flash cards that work on DSi able to play gba rom? I havent tried this as I'm waiting for Cyclods.

Edits: I'm asking this because the DSi has more Ram am I correct?

Spikey

Your Special Someone
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The DSi does not have a slot 2. The slot 2 was the GBA slot. There are no GBA emulators for the DS. So as of right now, no, you can't play GBA on DSi.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if it would be possible, someone has to unlock DSi mode outside of running official DSi programs. Then someone would have to actually create a GBA emu for the DSi, or hope the DSi still has the GBA hardware in it to run them.

Another thing is that the DSi STILL doesn't really have enough RAM for many GBA games. It only has 16megs and some GBA games are 32meg, so you would be limited to games of 16meg or less.

My guess is that if any GBA games appear for the DSi, they will have to be re-worked to run in the limited memory of the DSi and will be made available through the DSware store......as in, you will have to PAY for them.

TwinBlades

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So... this means that there should be a stickied thread that says NO GBA CAN BE PLAYED ON THE DSI right? Like wat you said Rayder, even tho if the flash card were able to play the gba roms, the DSI still doesn't havent enough ram.

Kuschel-Drow

Trophies
Website
kuschel-drow.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Rayder said:
Even if it would be possible, someone has to unlock DSi mode outside of running official DSi programs. Then someone would have to actually create a GBA emu for the DSi, or hope the DSi still has the GBA hardware in it to run them.

Another thing is that the DSi STILL doesn't really have enough RAM for many GBA games. It only has 16megs and some GBA games are 32meg, so you would be limited to games of 16meg or less.

My guess is that if any GBA games appear for the DSi, they will have to be re-worked to run in the limited memory of the DSi and will be made available through the DSware store......as in, you will have to PAY for them.
Doh... reading this I think I'll NEVER EVER get a DSi... I don't need the DSi ware, I don't need the cameras... I've been so disappointed when it came out that the GBA slot is missing in order to make the DSi more flat... Honestly... The DS Lite itself is TOO flat to play with big hands... I always have to apply a transparent plastic case in order to give it a better hold...

And well the DSi doesn't even provide a slot for a ram expansion pack anymore...
tongue.gif

Too sad Nintendo didn't take the ideas of many flashkarts out there for their new DSi and give it more useful abillities than only a camera... I mean... no video no mp3's at all... imho it's plain useless. People who own a normal DS and do not even know the possibillities of a flashkart may be fine with it if the do not play GBA games anymore... *sighs*

I was really following the illusion that someone could make a good GBA emulator for the DSi one day, but with the restriction to some roms, where most of those that I use wouldn't be playable anymore... You ruined my hopes!
tongue.gif

(Ah well... better now then later xD) And then... you even saved me 170€...
wink.gif

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
I think sometime in the future we will be able to. Once Nintendo release Virtual games through the DS Store (similar to the Wii), I think there's a pretty good chance GBA games will be available. It may require more than the flash cards we currently have, but I think it can be done.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
As mentioned above - I also guess that Nintendo will eventually release GBA games on DSWare.
I would also hazard a guess that since they've now allowed the Wii to allow 'Channels' to be run from the SDslot - they are also going to plan running DSWare from the slot as well

Once THAT happens - I guess it won't be long before some clever so-&-so will figure out how to run GBA Roms also from the SDSlot, & the SDslot will then 'replace' the Slot-2 on a DSLite/Phat

Time will tell

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Flame @ Flame: Never fight uphill, me boys.