Homebrew GBA link cable Hardmod?

GreenAndACat

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been looking around recently for a way to emulate the link cable with GBA VC. Since the 3DS has to reboot and underclock itself that's not possible, but I saw someone saying that a hard mod would work, if you just soldered a link cable to the board. I have no experience with soldering and I don't want to break my DS, but I thought I would ask if it's actually possible and if anyone is willing to try it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure what you read here.

Occasionally for newer devices that follow on from older devices or revisions of older devices you find so called unpopulated headers. Sometimes these are things from legacy devices that are not present on that revision (most notable around here is some of the gamecube stuff is still available on the gamecubeless wiis), and other times they can be interesting for hackers if they are debug ports or something like that. The DS however lacks anything like this to use a GBA link port and while I don't know for certain I would be absolutely stunned if the 3ds had such functionality.

There is no easy way to emulate link functionality on a 3ds without writing a GBA emulator for it (given injection methods are popular and not just a silly thing some people did says about how much you need to know about the effort people care to put into writing emulators on the 3ds), and no simple "buy these 10 chips, solder it together accordingly" like you might have seen with something like vbalink-real.
Depending upon what you need it for then it is probably easier to dump the saves, use vbalink (or vba-m if it has it, or any other link capable emulator) and chuck the saves back over.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
No. The link cable port was removed and even if there are still connections under the SoC (i doubt it) you would not be able to reach them + they are really tiny.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Imagine putting your butt near it :tpi: