GBA games on PSP - Crash Issues

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by pariah164, Aug 16, 2015.

1. pariah164
    OP

pariah164 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 16, 2015
    United States
    I very recently put the latest CFW on my PSP, and am pretty much a newbie when it comes to CFW and such in general. My main reason for doing such was for playing roms of GBA games, since my GBA recently died for good. I got gpSP Kai, loaded up some roms, and they almost all work perfectly, save for a couple: Fire Emblem Sacred Stones, and Pokemon Sweet (FireRed hack). Sacred Stones, I usually just reset and it works fine. But with Pokemon Sweet, the game does not run past the initial startup screen. It freezes my PSP, and I have to do a force shut-down and reboot. Other Pokemon hacks work fine (Flora Sky, Glazed), but something about Sweet just does not work.

Has anyone else had these issues? I'd like some insight so I can play these games without further issues, and hopefully avoid future problems. Thanks for reading.

2. FailName

FailName ░▒▓█▓▒░

Sep 26, 2011
    United States
    I've never played that particular hack, but I've had some issues with other Pokemon hacks when the author decides to change the game name and code in the header for some reason.

The game_config.txt file uses the header to recognize games and apply special settings for each game. I needed to either make another entry in game_config.txt with the identifcal settings for Firered, but with the game name and code changed to match the hack, or use something like this to change the name and code back to match a clean Firered rom.

You could also try using a different emulator, like TempGBA4PSP or gPSP-J. I've heard both to have higher compatibility than kai.

3. pariah164
    OP

pariah164 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 16, 2015
    United States
    Thanks, I'll check those out.

If one of those do end up working better, is there a way for me to transfer any saved game data I may have on Kai?

EDIT: Pokemon Sweet freezes when using GBATemp as well.

Last edited by pariah164, Aug 16, 2015