GBA Emulator Questions

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Anthony D'Amico, May 27, 2016.

1. Anthony D'Amico
    OP

Anthony D'Amico Member

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2014
    Hi Everyone,

I know this is probably a very common question, but I have checked google and some of the forums here and i have not been able to find the answers i need...

I am looking for the different types of GBA emulators available for 3DS.

I am aware that you can access one from within homebrew (it was pre-installed with the homebrew stater kit) however i am curious if there is one you can install as a CIA or if there is a way to bypass homebrew and open the pre-installed homebrew GBA emulator using CFW sysnand + A9LH

Also what emulators support ROM hacks vs the ones that don't

Thanks in Advance

2. Noelemahc

Noelemahc GBAtemp Regular

Jan 28, 2016
    Serbia, Republic of
    The preinstalled one is mGBA, it's good but it's no longer the best. Find the Retroarch thread in this subforum, it's got everything you need. The have their own version of mGBA but gpsp is a better, speed-wise, GBA emulator right now regardless of your console (2DS, N3DS, etc).

No feedback on romhacks, i don't fiddle with those, but I've seen people post having problems with Pokemon hacks in gpsp.

3. sniper_x002

sniper_x002 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 13, 2016
    Like @Noelemahc said, use Retroarch.
    I use gpsp for myself, but don't expect 100% compatiblity. I've had mother 3 translated crash on my a lot with it. It works fine with most games I think though.

4. bi388

bi388 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 29, 2015
    United States
    There's also the option to use gba vc which runs the games on native hardware which means they will always run at full speed with no bugs

5. BothyBhoy

BothyBhoy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 27, 2015
    interested to know how you go about this....is there a link???? please.....

6. bi388

May 29, 2015
    United States
    Either find the gba cias on that iso site or make them with the 3ds simple gba converter, patch agb_firm with the patch on the firmware post on that site and install them to sysnand and emunand

7. BothyBhoy

Nov 27, 2015
    ok will give it a shot. i take it its different if you have a9lh installed???? thx

8. bi388

May 29, 2015
    United States
    I don't know i want to install a9lh on my n3ds but it's been getting hardmodded since February so I haven't used it :(

9. BothyBhoy

Nov 27, 2015
    ok thx will get on it after tea...